Ferrari Portofino reviews | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Portofino reviews

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by TSOYBELIS, Feb 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    good2go and uhn2000 like this.
  2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
  3. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am beginning to think that certain cars should only be reviewed by certain magazines or failing that, you should view the road test through the prism of the reviewer and his driving abilities.

812, send for Chris Harris, who will take it close over the ragged edge where the car belongs. Give him a Portofino and he will find holes all over the place, before the limit ,at the limit etc, but its not where the car belongs. If that's what you want you should buy a 488 Spider.

When you look at the rash of Vloggers like Schmee, you can appreciate why they are so popular, I believe because they drive the car in the real world in the manner most of the buyers will, and for something like a Portofino, their views are more appropriate to the market place than a Chris Harris. Thinking of buying an 812, Chris Harris 's views are what you want to hear.

I would suggest that maybe many magazines are now too populated by highly qualified ex-racers who really want the last tenth from whatever they are testing and so whilst a 5 Star review is wonderful and speaks volumes, to then give the PF a 3.5 review suggests they are perhaps not reviewing it relative to its target market.

A Portofino is never going to be a 488.

Cgk360, 350MH83, 4th_gear and 4 others like this.
  4. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Here's another in depth review.
    https://www.motor1.com/reviews/232185/2018-ferrari-portofino-first-drive/

From what I've read, the biggest mis-step is the Portofino doesn't handle as well as the cali Handling Speciale. May have been asked before, but will they do a handling speciale package for the portofino? should they?

5. Maggio23

Maggio23 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2013
  6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Interesting that they should ‘get it’ better

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ferrari/portofino

‘Paradoxically, although it feels much more like a proper Ferrari overall, it’s also more enjoyable at six rather than ten-tenths – the territory we suspect most owners are likely to take it. So maybe they have judged it right.’

‘That Ferrari ditched California in favour of an all-new name speaks volumes. The Portofino is lighter, faster, much prettier, and better made. There’s a lot of solid gold action up here – AMG S63 cabrio, Aston DB11 Volante, Bentley Continental GT, Porsche Turbo cab, maybe even the Rolls-Royce Dawn – and not one of them goes about separating you from large sums of money in quite the same way. But only one of them is a Ferrari, and the Portofino is more Ferrari-ish than ever.’

uhn2000 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    The handling issues picked up by autocar are around nervous on-centre steering, bumpy surface handling and body shudder plus poor auto-mode gear shift. All seems basic issues well away from at-the-limit behaviour, and relevant for the "average" user. So, you'd think an update of some kind is warranted.

Interesting also how the electric steering which people raved about with the 812 has been picked up as an issue here.

I give a long established magazine like Autocar's views more weight compared to the youtubers etc because they are less prone to shower undifferentiated praise to make sure they get the Ferrari's next model to "test".

CETH likes this.
  8. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Busy is an understatement. Too much going on with that front end, not to mention the steering wheel with all those buttons which includes windshield wiper functions. Wondering if it'll be another forgettable GT car.

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think @Traveller makes an excellent point about car reviews and car reviewers. I often have wondered if reviewing a true GT car is more difficult than either a pure luxury car or a pure sports car. I imagine one would want more time and experience with a GT.

It seems to me Top Gear have given us the best overall context for the car and thus, so far at least, the best review. Schmee made a nice video, I have not watched some of the others yet. Thanks for all the links.

One final thought, is it possible the press has said so many nice things about Ferrari, that once in a while they look for something to criticize so they can proclaim that they are unbiased? ("see, we did say something critical.....")

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    No doubt the initial Portofino will be a little softer and will appeal to its intended target market. A few years out and the steering dynamics are addressed and for an extra $15k there's a handling package, along with other enhancements that make the Porto appeal to a bit more of the core Fcar fans.
    I think these reviews have been measured and fair and probably spot on. A Ferrari should have more soul and drama than its peer group.
    I'm more worried about how the car looks as it's starting to appear too busy to me already. Waiting for in person judgement of course.
    But for now happy I have a '15 458 Spider thats loud and proud.

uhn2000 likes this.
  11. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm caught off guard at how much I like the looks of this pretty girl, but I can't escape the smell of Aston Martin in some of the lines.... Also, the head-rests have a smiling silver design feature that don't actually go straight through the seats which I find particularly unappealing.

I think this thing is going to be amazing in person and will be a great cruiser. But the question really is, "What about the new Vantage?" :)

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I'd take F or Aston any day, esp with the Brady promotion as a huge turn off.

13. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    The current California T has all the controls on the steering wheel. Love it.

azlin75 and uhn2000 like this.
  14. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    It would be interesting to know how often you drive your 458 Spider? Do you put 10k miles a year on it? Do you drive 300 miles to another city for a weekend away? Do you take it to the track and real drive the car?

15. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    New Vantage looks and sounds awesome. But you need a saw to put the top down.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Eff 'em.

stavura and 635CSI like this.
  17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It's an interesting situation this Portofino because I doubt they made it an HS because that is a very aggressive ride and sounding car. I love that about ours and I do think they will release an HS of some sort but probably late next year or something of that sort. The bucket of orders is nice and full now no need throw up the anti. I am going to place the stiffness/sound of the Portofino somewhere inbetween the CaliT and HS because that would be a perfect sweet spot. On a side note I do find the interior very spartan compared to the luxury of CaliTHS which has many more stitches cuts and overall beauty. I have been trying to sell my CaliTHS to possible get into this Porto but something is telling me to wait another year before deciding...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2017-california-t-hs-tdf-blue-on-sabbia-canada.569282/

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i think this is a gorgeous car! it is making me think about trading in my mclaren for one. i would get upgraded rims the ones on all the reviews are ugly, but the rosso portafino is stunning with sabba tan interior.

and i also think it looks better with the top up!

stavura, Caeruleus11 and uhn2000 like this.
  19. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    One of auto journos I respect, Steve Sutcliffe's take on the Portofino.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Maggio23 likes this.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here is what I think of reviewers

The Alfa 4c is "horrible" because its cramped, it has a lousy stereo, it's noisy, it's small and cramped inside, it has no storage inside or in the boot, too wide, is hard on your back on roads, and hard to get in and out of."

The Ford GT is "wonderful" because its raw and doesn't worry about a great stereo, the noise, that it small and cramped inside, it has no storage inside or in the boot, too wide, is hard on your back on roads and difficult to get in and out of".

And I am not joking here. These "journalists" know about as much about what makes a great car for us as they can see their own arses while looking over their shoulder.

22. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I think reviewers should state how many miles they drive during the test drive, top speed they drive, average speed.

Almost every review I see they make less then enthusiastic comments, then they accelerate and start smiling and laughing, but then go back to the sound track of bla, bla, bla.

Soft brakes? On city roads? Take it to track and take it from 120mph to 40mph.... I love the brakes on California T on the track.

Too much roll in California and now not enough roll. They do know you can buy stiffer springs and make the ride stiffer.

All the comparisons to 488, I drive my California T every day. I drive it on long road trips, I drive it on the track. It’s not a 488.

For anyone looking at buying a Portofino, IMO they will not be disappointed. It’s an incredible looking GT that you can drive everyday, on road trips and the track to actual use the engine, steering, suspension and brakes.

uhn2000 likes this.
  23. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I posted this in another section but would be interested in peoples responses. I have a Cali T HS. I love it. In my opinion, the car is beautiful and I prefer the front of the Cali T to the portofino. What is the reason for me to trade it in for a portofino? why would I not wait for the portofino HS?

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I am more interested in this car than the 488 spider.

It seems more like a true convertible than a "targa" and is less "in your face" and more practical. If I'm going to spend this much on a car I'm not interested in a toy. I can get a better toy cheaper that I don't mind if some idiot runs into.

The Portofino is never going to be a classic. Just drive it like a GT and forget the miles. Few say that with the 488.

I need to see one but I get the appeal of it where the CA never did it for me, especially the first one. Top speed and acceleration is not a big factor. It's plenty fast enough for city streets. As long as it drives great, sounds great, and has some emotion and beauty I'll be happy. IMO, there really aren't enough really good convertibles made anymore and this is probably Ferrari's best.

Caeruleus11, Traveller and uhn2000 like this.