What coachbuilders would modify an new Ferrari to a clients taste? | FerrariChat

What coachbuilders would modify an new Ferrari to a clients taste?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by davemqv, Feb 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is a hypothetical inspired by the fact that while I like 80% of the 812 Superfast, the rear end more than ruins the rest of the car for me.

So let's say I'm a well heeled fellow who wants to buy an 812 and have the body and interior modified. Say I want to have the rear end (including lights) redesigned and rebodied, and have non-race Daytona seats installed in the cabin. What companies would do work like this?

I'm assuming this would be outside the scope of the tailor made program, which (forgive me, Tifosi) seems to be a sort of factory run "pimp my ride" program that stops short of structural changes...but maybe I'm poorly informed about that?

2. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Wil Castro or West Cosst Customs should be able to ruin it pretty good.
    Every upholstery job Wil Castro's shop does is a wrinkled mess. It's never tight looking like the OEM covers they are replacing
    West Coast Customs are big on body kits too
    Another quick way to make a beautiful Ferrari hideous
    I also think Justin Beiber is Ryan's business partner so there you go.

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Maybe Fastcars Ltd.,which turned a 599 into a convertible for a forum member.

davemqv likes this.
  4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    ferrari should be able to do the Daytona seats and re the rear end if you want to pay I believe Ferrari will do it.. the good news is the rear end could be modified pretty well without getting into the body it should all be the rear cover maybe a little metal work...

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    your really have to wonder why they made that car so ugly from the rear.
    is there some aerodynamic reason we laymen are missing? or is this just a major oops?

crinoid and davemqv like this.
  6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I saw one in person today and at first I thought it was the ghastly newest Vette.

If you have a bottomless pit of money, I am sure Pininfarina or Zagato would be happy to redo that thing, and drain your bank account at the same time. :)

Daytonafan and carguyjohn350 like this.
  7. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    All you would have to do is make friends with one of the designers and con them into redesigning the rear end during a weekend BBQ. Then you would just have to find someone to make the modifications.

8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is indeed a Corvette rear facelifted by Ferrari. The last really beautiful design is the 550/575. The 599 and F12 only have one big "jet engine" tail lamp on each side. Exactly like an Alfa Romeo Mito. Hand the 812 is "over designed" with too many wedges and lines going here and there. The front is much more clean though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

davemqv likes this.
  9. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know. It's a head shaker. I always wonder the same thing...maybe there's an aerodynamic reason for this? But then I think I'd way rather have a better looking car that is 5 mph slower overall, a difference which would only ever be noticed when driven by Vettel around a test track...certainly not by any laymen on any common road.

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Pininfarina. Didn't they turn the Enzo into the P 4/5 for a client? I don't know the full story aside from the fact we refinished the parts in the P 4/5

davemqv likes this.
  11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Loose upholstery is one of my pet peeves as well.
    In this imagined scenario, all the work is done to a high standard. ;)

12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Pininfarina would probably love a crack at showing Ferrari why they should have kept them on as designers. But I didn't know whether or not they'd do this for an average joe off the strada.

G. Pepper and Dave rocks like this.
  13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree. It's got too many swooshes and dips overall, but I always assume there's a reason for most of them, and from the front and front 3/4 views the car manages to seem quite handsome. But once you get to the profile you start to see the weird moves at the rear...and it gets worse from there. But I think if that section were re-bodied it could make for a cool looking car.

14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I like the single tail lights. Harks back to the styling of the 275 GTB.

I'd argue the 456 was the last really beautiful Ferrari...which I'm guessing you'd agree with!

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I got a 456M as my first Ferrari for that very reason. The first Ferrari I fell for when I was a kid was the GTB/4 Daytona, and the 456 was like an updated version of that. Now back to the 812. Love it from the front, love it from the sides, but can't stand the rear end. It looks like it was rear ended by a smaller car that went all the way in to the rear bumper! Much prefer the F12 TDF.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

kes7u likes this.
  16. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Evren Milano runs a shop in Italy called E. Milano that does a lot of high-end custom cars for the wealthy Monaco types in Europe.
    He specializes in Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

Website is: http://www.emilano.com/about-us.php

Here is a proposal for a convertible version of the 812 Superfast.
    I don't think they built one yet for a customer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Right, Tailor-Made is limited to custom interior materials, paint colors, and liveries--nothing structural.

If you wanted to work with Ferrari, then the Special Projects program would cover what you're talking about: having the option to bring in a a design house to create an official one-off (e.g., the Clapton car). It'll cost a few million and a year or two if you're lucky enough to get in, and apparently they're currently booked up until 2021.

More details and some interesting examples in the link below.

http://www.coachbuild.com/2/index.php/news/modern-coachbuilds/131-ferrari-special-projects-all-cars-listing

rampante550 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    That 599 that Craig from FastCars did was a work of art!
    It looked better then factory, Then again there is a 550 out there that a coach builder did that blows away the look of a 550 Barchetta

davemqv likes this.
  19. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Are you talking about the two Straman 550 convertibles,or something else?

20. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Zagato.

The only thing I don't like about the 812 Superfast is the framing of the rear window.

21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am sure the performance is fantastic, but man is that car ugly. even if i had the budget for it, i very much doubt i would buy it.

davemqv likes this.
  22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I was hoping they would move their F12 design into something clean looking like the SP275 RW and not a video game design like the 812. If you have pockets big enough, I suppose Ferrari can do an SP for you? Do you have to be a well established client to even get that opportunity or just lots of money?

23. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    They've limited SP production to 2-3 cars per year, with a 3-year waitlist, so I'd think you'd have to be a very well-established customer.

And while I tend to agree with your first thought, darker colors seem to help a good bit in muting out the busyness in the 812's shape. Sylvainsm posted pictures of his black car over in the F50 thread, and I think it looks far better than in red, even from behind. Here's a link: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145793874/

24. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Yes that's it Walt
    Of course it's Straman how could I forget that name. They did a few Teastarossas too .

25. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    In the very old days (50's and 60's) when coachbuilt Ferraris was not that uncommon, and there were several active coachbuilders, I think (not absolutely positive) that Ferrari would just send the bare chassis/engine to the coachbuilder and they would complete the car.

Value-wise on the 812, if you were able to do something through Ferrari to get the read-end customized, the car may well appreciate in value over time as a one-off factory-endorsed car. If you have the work done outside of Ferrari, the customization will probably decrease the value of the car. I doubt it would be easy or affordable to get the mods done through Ferrari, but it could end up being a good investment if it was possible.