1976 308 GTB Exhaust | FerrariChat

1976 308 GTB Exhaust

Discussion in '308/328' started by jeff308gtb, Feb 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeff308gtb

jeff308gtb Rookie

Nov 3, 2016
    canada
    Full Name:
    jeffb
    Any suggestions on where to find an original exhaust for a 1976 308 GTB and
    also aftermarket stickers for air breather cover and charcoal cannister.

2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Good luck with your search, I have been looking for an original for a couple of years now without luck. There are several aftermarket versions available though.

3. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
  4. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Jeff,
    You sure you want the original? Most are leaky and thrashed, and the early ones had the turned down pipes with a faux tip on it like pictured here.
    They are Thermal Reactors, which were pre-catalyst (at least the USA models were).
    The Ansa will fit, look and sound good.

5. jeff308gtb

jeff308gtb Rookie

Nov 3, 2016
    canada
    Full Name:
    jeffb
    Who would you suggest that I call for an ANSA

6. jeff308gtb

jeff308gtb Rookie

Nov 3, 2016
    canada
    Full Name:
    jeffb
  7. jeff308gtb

jeff308gtb Rookie

Nov 3, 2016
    canada
    Full Name:
    jeffb
    Would you suggest Ansa

8. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yes, that was the original manufacturer if I am not mistaken.

9. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I don't know if Ansa was OEM for the 308s (maybe for the earliest GTBs), but they made the factory option sport exhaust that could be ordered with the car, so it's not exactly unoriginal. My mechanic sourced a 78-stamped Ansa for my car, and it sounds rather vintage-glorious! Night and day difference over stock, and I think a bit less "tinny" than the modern aftermarket options.

10. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Now, when you say aftermarket "stickers," for the air breather cover and charcoal canister, do you mean the metal firing order tag that's riveted onto the airbox "snout" (NOT the lid/cover)? If so, these guys sell one for $14.50, which is the best you're going to do:
    http://www.berlinettamotorcars.com/ferrariparts.htm

No one has yet made a repro charcoal canister decal, however there is a member here who is diligently working on a proper reflective foil engine bay paint sticker (I just donated my original to the cause for "reverse engineering") and he may tackle the charcoal canister label next. We need an original to work off of, and mine is too worn to remove in one piece. Will keep you posted.

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, but those you see here on their page are for the "euro" variant, that is not a "thermal reactor" and no catalysator. So, better be sure of what you need, and of what they have, before spending some money.
    Rgds

12. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Are you trying to go concours original? I didn't see that, if so. FYI, the thermoreactor exhaust was a cumbersome beast that weighed something about double the later OEM exhausts. Unless you're striving for "as it left the factory," you couldn't pay me to put one on my car (even if it were spec'd on the 79).

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Ansa produced every Ferrari (and Lamborghini) exhaust: Stock, option, Europe, USA

14. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ansa is definity nice for a carb 308. I have one on my 76 and it sounds very good. Not too loud or soft.

15. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have an Ansa on my '77 now and it's been great. It's just wearing through so I'm thinking of going to the Tubi just for something different.

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Doesn’t the 76 has the single tailpipe?

17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yes Mike it does, but many have had the headers and exhaust changed to a double. You can see the cut out on the back panel where the single pipe lived and the new pipes hanging underneath.

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The single tailpipe was the factory standard for ALL carbed cars in Europe ot the two seat 308 family (not the GT4s...)
    So Glass -Vetroresina - 308GTBs, steel 308GTBs, and all 308GTSs had the single tailpipe exhaust as a factory standard; the quad tailpipe was only an "option", that seems to have been chosen more in some countries than in others.
    None of these Euro cars had any emission device or catalysator.
    Rgds

George Vosburgh likes this.
  19. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Here is a rear view of my 76, you can see the single cut out on the left side to accommodate the single tailpipe. Mine is fitted with the quad tip exhaust though.

Albert-LP likes this.
  20. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, that what I was talking about, thanks. What did you do about the cut out when you converted to the quad tips?

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Mike,

All carbed euro cars (Vetro GTBs + Steel GTB + GTS) left the factory with one cut out at the left of the valance for the single tip exhaust.
    When converting to the quad tail pipes, taking into account that these pipes were set lower than the single pipe, should you want symmetry of look
    you had the choice of filling that cut out at the left and sanding it, so having a valance with no cut-out at all...
    Or making another one at right above the pipes...

Rgds

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ansa is still in business.....

FE2020 is the NON CAT quad tip, do you need a single outlet!!

23. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    I just mounted Ansa exhaust on mine '80 308 GTS (Euro). It has the single cutout but I'm going to have it converted to a no cutout panel. Some European and Australian cars were delivered without cutouts. I'm going to get work done and create this look.

24. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Well, that is a hotly debated topic! Some believe that the quad exhaust was a dealer option that would have been installed prior to delivery. Consequently, mine had this option prior to my purchase. No plans to fill in the cut out as I would like to keep my options open if I make the decision to switch back to factory original single outlet exhaust.

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    But there is no doubt that the quad exhaust was a factory option, this with the wider rims and the high-lift camshafts.
    I'm sorry for not being able to credit the person who posted this page at the summer of 2015 on this very forum, but here you have the factory page for the high performance options of the late seventies, and the quad pipe exhaust is clearly an option:

Rgds