The Purosangue Thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think the question we need to ask is will the market support both an SUV and a new GTC4 or will just one survive?

Dat, Jordan68, MDEL and 1 other person like this.
  2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Very good question Tim…….

4. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Hopefully the FUV will be a major flop!

Ferrari and SUV should never be used in the same sentence.

day355 likes this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    There is another epic thread on this topic. We have figured out a few things:

1] It will not look like a four-door car; it will have, "a clever, hidden arrangement" so, probably suicide doors.
    2] It will have a V8 hybrid power plant (Not sure if that's the only option).
    3] It will be, "unique and very Ferrari, like the Lusso" so, probably the same design language with more ground clearance.

It will be very difficult to top the Alfa in the looks department. Here is where I fear failure. I'm sure it will be the best performing crossover in history.

Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Because an SUV was the last thing we would expect to see with a Ferrari badge I believe there is a great expectancy to find out what Flavio Manzoni will be coming up with. If the new vehicle will have an SUV design language what we don't know yet, I agree with what you mentioned that there will be immediate aesthetic comparisons made with the Alfa and also with the Maserati and if Manzoni isn't able to present a superior design that will be seen always as a mediocre try or even a failure. If on the other hand the outcome will be in the form of an FUV using the Lusso design language that "Caeruleus 11" and you have mentioned, Manzoni and Ferrari will be in a much more comfortable position because there exists nothing to make comparisons with.

Caeruleus11 and G. Pepper like this.
  7. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Exactly. Just as nobody makes anything like the Lusso.

The biggest mystery to me is where do they price it?

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #108 Caeruleus11, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Apologies if i repeat something from before... My speculation is an "FUV" most likely means the end of the GTC4 V8turbo and possibly the V12 version. Again, this is purely my speculation but in reflecting on comments made by Mr. Marchionne and others that they will seek greater volume, it strikes me they will need better emissions and efficiency performance. So this means an "FUV" is likely not a V12. It would likely be either V8 turbo with possible hybrid or maybe even V6 turbo with possible hybrid. Why would Ferrari continue the V8 GTC4 then? Its just extra complication and likely not worth it for a relatively low volume model. The V12 GTC4 could be seen as a special link to the past- a 4 seater V12, something Ferrari was always known for. And we should stop for a minute and remember today is the 120th anniversary of Mr. Ferrari's birth. Although he used many different engines, when I think of Enzo Ferrari, I think of V12 engines. Anyway, it would be nice to keep the V12 GTC4, but again, if I am selling cars and have to worry about emissions and efficiency, I might be best off having one V12 production model- the 812 and its successors, and let the other models be powered by other things. At some point there will be hybrid and perhaps even full electric. So I think Ferrari will have to keep a V12 in their line up, but it might not appear in as many models as it does today...

This is partly why I have pulled the trigger on a GTC4Lusso, but not the primary reasons because while its fun to speculate and discuss our passion with fellow Tifosi, the most fundamental reason is the car drives amazingly well and I kept finding myself wanting a Ferrari I could drive throughout the winter. I think the GTC4 is something special right now. Time will provide us with the answers on what happens to this line of cars, I hope it continues, but I do wonder....

But to come back to the "FUV"- again, this is just my opinion, if they have to do it, then I hope they find a way to give it links to racing of some sort. My humble suggestion to the form is as Mario remembered- maybe something like an expanded GTC4: so maybe 1-2" higher, maybe 0.5" wider, and maybe 5-6" longer, with hidden rear doors. And I suggest to find a link to racing or rallying. Maybe there is a race series they can enter this into and find success? Or some records to break? Do they still run the Paris-Dakar Rally for cars? I think an "FUV" has to be something very different from a Cayenne Turbo or even the Lamborghini URUS. Lamborghini put that vehicle out and as far as I can tell, its selling points are that its fast, its got some Lamborghini influenced sheetmetal and interior and perhaps Audi/ Porsche/ VW reliability. I find that argument a little thin. I think a "FUV" has to be something far more than just a Ferrari SUV. It needs to have us all saying- wow, they blew away these records, that is impressive. After all, Mr. Ferrari used to say a race car is beautiful after it wins. Since Ferrari's street cars are supposed to have technology transfer from racing, I say: go win some races or set some records and show why the "FUV" is something truly desirable.

9. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    One tidbit indicated that the FUV will not replace the 2+2, but it wasn't solid. No V12 for the FUV is pretty solid, though. I think they want to price it lower than the 2+2's.

MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  11. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ferro458, MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Nice, they got a little of the Portofino vibe in there, but again, no exterior handles on the rear doors.

MDEL likes this.
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I couldnt disagree more. I dont want a boring SUV as my hauler...so a Lambo or Ferrari would be awesome.
    Nothing against the Cayanne but same old same old is enough.

uhn2000 likes this.
  15. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  16. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's pretty cool!

17. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    no way, Ferrari will sell a lot of suv cars. maybe it will hurt sales of lusso. urus, bentayga

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    when porsche cayenne was debuted, it was bought by customers whom never owned 911, the same thing can happen to Ferrari SUV, no doubt Ferrari will have no problem to sell this car

19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I'm not a "status SUV" kind of guy.
    They will sell loads I'm sure though, because lots of people are that way inclined.
    For me if i were to look at a "performance" SUV I guess the Alfa Stelvio would probably do the job for 1/3 of the price of any FUV.
    Even then, I would feel a bit of a tit turning up at my local dump with sacks of garden waste.
    Never say never, but I don't think I'm their guy for this, even if Ferrari would take my 06 Forester XT as a trade in to cover the cost of the cup holder.
    Shooting brakes on the other hand, well of course !

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Good points. That’s what a range is for though.

635CSI likes this.
  21. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My only issue with the FUV is my wife will want one as her daily hauler of my 2 young boys and all their stuff! I will most likely buckle to that demand because I will get to drive it but then I am managing some huge optics when it comes to school drop-offs, bday parties, play dates etc. I have enough problems trying to keep my kids (and wife) humble, not to mention the number of hand bags I have had to buy to offset my F car hobby (er..addiction!). And like 635CSI said do I really need an SUV status ride, no, but I also don't need $30k+ of carbon options in my Lusso and it has that. I am about to cancel our deposit for a 2020 Cayenne Turbo :/ see where this goes LOL

22. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    LOL...I'm sure you're not alone on this.

Dolceexte and uhn2000 like this.
  23. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    I do think Ferrari will do an SUV. It has to do more about money/profit then the brand image. Remember, Ferrari is now a publicly traded company (stock symbol: RACE) and the dynamics of shareholders vs. boutique auto manf. are completely different. The same thing is happening / has happened to all the "what used to be unattainable luxury" brands. Look how Mercedes has diluted it's brand. It's not the exclusive brand it used to be, but they are pumping out MBs like no body's business.

All these once boutique brands are now owned by big publicly traded companies (i.e. Bentley, Rolls, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc). Now Ferrari.

Still great products, but if you want the uniqueness and exclusivity, you have to start moving to Koenigsegg or Pagani, or the like.

24. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  25. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The picture shows a sketch made by Flavio Manzoni in 2008 when he was creative chief designer of VW with his vision of the Scirocco. I sincerely hope he won't borrow anything from this previous creation while designing the new Ferrari Suv.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.