Maserati cuts production and workers hours 60% | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maserati cuts production and workers hours 60%

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Robb, Feb 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I see a lot of Ghiblis in LA but not that many Levantes. If they want to survive, both Alfa Romeo and Maserati should become more volume sellers like the big 3 germans have. Alfa can take the bottom half and Maserati the top.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I see Ghibli's and Giulia's in Chicago with only a few Levantes and no Stelvio's yet on the street. Go to the dealers and you see lines of both the SUV's. We will see if sales pick up when they come out with the higher powered Levante. I hope the Stelvio also starts selling better than it has. Sales should have picked up by now but have not. Maybe discounts will help get them going?

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I have not seen one Levante in Phoenix or Scottsdale.

Plenty of ghibli’s

Plenty of gran turismo’s

No new quattroporte’s

Robb

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Maserati has been surviving with limited, relatively low production for quite some time. Staying on focus is far more important that becoming another volume brand.

5. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Spoke to a Levante owner in an Aldi parking lot in Hudson, WI a few weeks ago. She said that she and her husband have owned about every high end SUV that you can imagine...and she really liked it...

6. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Yes but that was back when they made unique vehicles, not re-branded cookie cutter Ghiblis and Levantes. The vast majority of customers buying/leasing one of those 2 cars has no idea about the brand except they want a "Maserati". Not to also mention that Maserati has barely survived for a good amount of its history.

7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

To you perhaps but not to Maserati. There's no room in Chrysler Fiat for another Ferrari. They may not need to become as large as BMW but they do need higher volume or it simply won't be a worthwhile effort. All the car companies have SUVs now. But their two new sedans just aren't special looking enough. I hope they're not stuck with an evolutionary redesign of what they have now. I don't agree with their making them look so much a like that you can't hardly tell them apart. The previous gen QP was a far handsomer car. The new ones seem to perform quite nicely though. So time for a new wardrobe! Quit the BMWesq big brother little brother look! We want STYLE!

flat_plane_eddie and F456M like this.
  9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I would buy a BMW over a new Maserati any day. The new Maseratis have lots of cheap crap from American cars. It really dosappoints me. In the nineties the Maseratis were very very exclusive compared to other cars. Almost like a Pagani vs a Ferrari is today. There werehand made cars with a distinct styling and unlike any other car. And fast like nothing else which was usable at that time. I hate to say Maserati is a wannabee Audi. I wish they could be exclusive and rare and handbuild again. Because of all this I recently bought a Coupe Cambiocorsa which is not that rare but at least it is a youngster which needs to be treated with respect. Not perfect. But a wild child and thats what I love. I also plan to buy back my 1991 222 4v. Biturbo.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

davidoloan likes this.
  10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I liked the style of the QP V better but the infotainment systems which were not American were ancient the day they arrived. Same thing on 4200s. Both Maserati & Ferrari used that awful soft touch crap on the surface and knobs which turns into sticky goo. I haven't driven a Levante but I sat in one when they were announced and it seemed pretty nice to me? It's not going to have all the gadgets and design features that the new Navigator is receiving raves about but it does have a great sound which seems to delight drivers around here because I hear that all the time from the Maseratis running around. I used to experience the same thing when I lived in SF during the 80s & 90s and could hear my and all the other Biturbos singing at high rpms as they went up and down all of those hills.

So I think they are still delivering personality.

They also appear to handle the uber crap roads where I live quite well. I couldn't keep up with a woman driving one around in my Jag S-Type R with 400HP because I was afraid my suspension or a wheel might break.

Audi is a tough competitor. Their interiors are spectacularly well made but they're ubiquitous just like BMWs and Mercedes. Maserati offers something a bit different but it needs to remain different while still retaining enough the must haves so as not be rejected by people used to Audi ... etc.

This forum is packed with enthusiasts so we're a bit tougher to make happy and far more likely to overlook some things for a truly wonderful motor, handling and gearbox . A cambiocorsa box works with some of us. It was an utter disaster for the market Maserati seeks now.

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    My 2013 Maserati GT Sport just arrived yesterday. 7160 miles. Need to sort a few undisclosed issues from selling dealer (non Maserati) but I'm pumped to drive but need to wait another 4-6 weeks for good weather.

I'm Not familiar with the Ghibli but the quality of the GT is exceptional. I would never buy one new though - the depreciation is horrible. I bought this one owner car for like 60% off MSRP.

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Enjoy it Dave and post some photos with a story. I love the look of the spider even if the trunk is pretty useless in size. Not sure of how much fun that one is to drive though. Very sexy looking. Same thing though, enormous depreciation. That's not good for repeat ownership or lease rates. I'm not sure why that is?

I just took a look at the current used offerings on these. There are quite a few and so many have very few miles. Why is that? Mine wouldn't!

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    davidoloan likes this.
  14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Yeah I knew that. But I see they also talk about a sport spider version as well as the regular version. Is the equipment and setup the same as on the coupe? The ones in Europe had the 599 F1 tranny and no back seat when they first came out. I think afew made it here with that tranny as well?

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    In the US, only 2009 and only 300

16. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Your wheels are from a 2009 GT F1

17. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I think I may have seen a Levante; thought it was Hyundai.

F456M likes this.
  18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nope - they are the Neptune wheels offered for several years and IMO, the best wheel Maserati has ever made for the GT :)

19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yes. It looks like an Infinity.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

arizonaitalian likes this.
  20. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    It doesn't help Maserati that the Giulia Quattrofoglio is both better AND cheaper than both their sedans.

How Fiat allowed that to happen is beyond me......

Only way to fix it is to seriously upgrade/redesign their line up and I doubt they have the resources to do it but we'll see.....

21. Blitz88

Blitz88 Karting

I think the Giulia is a better value than the Ghibli. They really compete against each other, no?

22. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    That is a really nice looking coupe , anymore pictures in another thread?

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks. Just got the car Friday and will be storing in my shop until April. Once the weather breaks I will take some more photos and post. I have a base model 2008 so this sport sounds pretty nuts from just a couple throttle blips. Can't wait to drive!

24. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Never seen them except for the 2009 F1