California 30 Trunk Release ? | FerrariChat

California 30 Trunk Release ?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Cockney.mike, Feb 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cockney.mike

Cockney.mike Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Silicon Valley California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Went to start the car after only 2 days in the garage. Flat battery and unable to open the trunk.

I have located the key hole under the trunk lid, but I dont seem to be able to turn the key at all.

One suggestion was to press down on the trunk lid while turning the key to take some pressure off of the latch.

Does the key need to be turned clockwise or anti-clockwise using this method as I dont want to be turning it the wrong way ?

This is a relatively new battery. If I can get the trunk open, is it likely I can recharge it to the point of starting the car using the battery tender, or is that unlikely ?

Thanks for any help on this one.

Mike

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Mike...I am about 67% sure it is counter-clockwise to turn the key. But, hopefully, someone can confirm or deny 100%. Mine is getting its annual service, or I'd check myself...T

3. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Welcome back Tom!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks. Another thing, when my trunk acted up soon after buying it, I found that it helped to push down with a goodly amount of force on the trunk while turning the key. So, I got my wife to press down on the trunk lid, while I operated the key...T

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've never had to do this but my key only turns anti-clockwise (with springy resistance) when the lid is open.

If your battery is fully discharged (11.7v or lower) the charger (tender) supplied by Ferrari with the 2013 car may or may not be up to the task. It depends on which model of charger you have. Look on the side of the charger - if it says "Type model name US 800" or "12VDC 0.8A", it will take forever and probably won't work. 0.8A is much too slow. You want to see 3.6A or Model 1065 which delivers max 4.3A - those will charge 4 to 5 times faster and should work.

If your battery is flat it may need a day or two to revive it enough to start the engine.

Before you hook up the charger, make sure you use a multi-tester to get the voltage so you have a baseline to compare. 12.6v or higher without charger attached, is fully charged.

Short trips will kill your battery, especially if it was never fully charged. The important measure is a battery's STARTING STATE OF CHARGE, how full the battery was when it was originally put into service. If it was not fully charged originally, it may never work properly if you didn't do long fast drives to charge it fully. You'd be amazed how often new batteries are not actually fully charged when they are put into service.

IMO Ferrari owners should own a multi-tester and check their batteries from time to time. Modern cars tend to use a lot of battery current, even when parked.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Cockney.mike

Cockney.mike Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the info. Anticlockwise on the key while depressing the trunk lid easily opened the trunk manually.

The charger is a US 3300 with 3.3 amp output.

Its been charging now for about 15 hours and although the interior light now comes on (it did not before), the side lights (not headlights) wont turn on using the light switch...so that looks bad. I will leave it on the tender over the weekend and see if I can get any more juice back in the battery. Its a relatively new battery, but as pointed out a few 12 mile journeys in traffic with the lights on probably has a cumulative negative drain on the battery voltage and the battery probably was not 100% charged when it was installed.

I will locate my volt meter and check the voltage of the battery...I should have done that before I started.

If i use the battery quick release lever and remove the post, can I charge the battery using a proper battery charger in the car or is this something I should not do or is there something to watch out for ?

Thanks

Mike

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Mike..I think the side marker lights - if those are the lights you are talking about - only come on once you crank the engine.

Does your car have HELE (start-stop)? If so, I might look into upgrading the battery conditioner. Let me see if I can find the thread on this...T

Edit - Found it! This is the thread.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-california-battery-life.562438/

The battery tender I have is nearly identical to the one F-chat user 4th_Gear posted a pic of (the one w/ a snowflake on it, which fits my car's persona to a T!) in post # 16

8. Cockney.mike

Cockney.mike Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Let me check the lights again !

No the car is not a HELE model.

Mike

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Glad to see you got the trunk opened. You should let your CTEK 3300 run over the weekend before contemplating other actions.. Check the voltage with your multi-meter to gauge state of charge.

The 3300 is actually a decent and safe charger for your car. It *IS* a proper charger. Do not use old-fashioned chargers as they will likely damage the battery. You need a modern microprocessor-controlled trckle charger that can dynamically sense battery condition and deliver multiphased charging. You can buy faster CTEK chargers but they will only be about 2x as fast as the 3300.

If you want to disconnect the battery, you must first lower the driver door window because the car raises the glass when door is shut. If you try to open the door without power, the glass will tear up the door seals because it will stay up. Killing the power also clears memory the car may have stored regarding some performance parameters but I believe it will relearn them. If your car were HELE it would involve additional setup procedures that most drivers would have problems figuring out on their own. - but your car is not HELE.

Jmci00 likes this.
  10. Cockney.mike

Cockney.mike Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Finally got the battery charged using the tender. Just over 13 volts at the terminals. Took about 60 hours total.

Tried to lower the window, but no movement on either window using the window switches. As the dash and cooling console is lit up with all sorts of warning lights, I assume it needs a full hard reset to get everything back to a zero state before the windows will work.

If there are any ideas on how to lower the windows without the switches before the hard reset, please let me know. It seems the first step after reconnecting the battery is to lock and unlock the car using the remote key a couple of times so I really want to be careful not to damage the window seals as 4th_gear points out.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Will the car start? Did the windows lower when you opened the door? Once inside, do you have the key in position 0 or II? I thought the windows didn't operate unless the engine was started.
    T

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, I'm glad you battery appears to have been recharged. The "christmas lights" display on your dash are probably due to low power problems that accumulated while your battery was limping along. Now that the battery is back, those errors may simply be finally getting displayed. I am just guessing but spurious error lights are definitely the norm with a dead battery.

I can't be sure why the window controls don't work and you are probably correct that the system needs to "get flushed" with a hard reset. It's been 5 years but my HELE-spec battery was DOA within a week after I collected my car from the dealer. I brought it back and they did a hard reset for me because my car has HELE and requires a special procedure afterwards. Non-HELE cars are simpler to reset. Since it looks like you were able to open the driver's door, just leave both doors open before your disconnect the battery. Here are the instructions from the owner's manual (below). Since you are at home, I would give it a good 30 minutes' wait to make sure the circuits are drained before reconnecting the battery.

I hope this does the trick. Good luck!

13. Cockney.mike

Cockney.mike Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Followed the process above supplied by 4th_gear (thank you !) and everything now works fine. I left the power disconnected overnight..probably did not need that long. Started car and all the lights and warning signs are now back to normal. Windows worked after re-connection of the battery. Hardest problem was actually disconnecting the quick release lever on the battery terminal. There are cables that cover easy access to it and its hard to get your (large) hand underneath to release the lever. Putting it back was easy.

When the battery was replaced last month the dealer installed an Odessy PC1350...I assume this is the replacement battery for the 2013 California, I need to watch it for a while to make sure its not slowly continually discharging. I always leave it on the tender unless there is only 2-3 days between driving the car. it was 2 days of not driving and not having it on the tender before it went flat.

Thanks to everyone for the information that let me get my car back on the road.

Mike

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^I love a happy ending!
    T

15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #15 4th_gear, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Hey Mike, I'm happy to see your battery and car are now both working again. Hopefully, it was just an issue with the battery not having started off with adequate charge.

The Odessy PC1350 is the correct spec for the Cali and is a premium quality battery that I believe is usually more expensive than the Interstate L5 size battery which I recall is the MTP-49-H8, also a very good battery with excellent warranty (30 months I recall). So your dealer did right by you with regard to quality.

Yes, it looks like you have to test your car a bit by "tempting fate"... and leave the charger off a couple of days. However, my car is always on the charger. With CTEK chargers you don't need to second guess, and try to "protect" the battery from overcharging. CTEKs are designed to be used every day so if you do that, you totally avoid issues with charging.

IMO a full battery is extremely important for power and performance when you drive fast - the car will go faster, run smoother on a full battery vs a marginal one. That's been my experience with BMWs. The battery supplies the sparks for ignition and if the battery is no good, the car will likely not be able to respond properly to aggressive throttle positions. 8000 rpm calls for a lot of sparks. My BMWs used to run a bit rough when their batteries were on their last legs. In a race car, the battery will always be fully charged at the start of a race.