'The Ratarossa': The Testarossa Spider Rebuild Project | Page 15 | FerrariChat

'The Ratarossa': The Testarossa Spider Rebuild Project

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by spiderscott, Sep 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

You should try getting in and out of the car without decapitating oneself o_O
    I'm going o use some of the black rubber trim that sits in places such as around the front trunk lip to seal the hood when its down. I have some spare someon, just need to dig it out

2. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Guys any tips on getting the Centre lock Monodado wheel nut free ? Ive had this before where it seized on the car, I have tried a massive extension bar and it just won't break free ?

Cant start the other side suspension until I can get the wheel off

3. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    massive extension. sit on the end of it. have another person hit the socket with a big hammer as you slightly very gently bounce on it. you have to have the brakes on full too.

spiderscott likes this.
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hahaha
    thx
    I thaught something like transmission jack :)

always remember: the center nuts of the wheels open both sides turning to the front

5. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Still no luck. Ill ask a friend to come over and help with a massive heavy hammer.

6. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I had a six foot long extension. You can get two people on that. one person in the car holding the brakes. one hitting the socket with a big f'n hammer.

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Just found this thread. What a great job bringing back a beast from the near dead!! Look forward to seeing the progress of it all. :)

8. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  9. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this broken tool seems only a 1/2 inch size?
    then it is normal that it will break. looks like snap on? so lifetime guarantee
    you need a 1 inch tool minimum ! ! !
    I habe broken a 3/4 inch tool from snap on and got of course new one for free
    good luck

may be you warm the nut a little with a hotblower?
    also you are sure you try to open in the right direction? may be the former owner changed some form left side to right side? so please check

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Romano could be correct on this! Maybe former owner mis-matched some parts to get wheels on?

12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Ive not considered that before, worth checking ,,,, i could be trying to tighten it, if its previously been swopped over !!

Ok I need to wait for my replacement breaker bar to arrive

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    is it only this one nut you can not open?
    when all other are open then you know what direction to open, 2 to one side and the other 2 to the other side

14. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    STILL NO JOY with the wheel nut. Ive got a new 3/4 inch 1 meter long breaker bar and added another meter bar.... it bends under the pressure !!

Checked both rotations and no movement.

Other nuts are ok and turn in the correct direction, Ive removed them and added a bit of copper grease to the threads to avoid it happening again, I know its a controversial subject about adding the copper grease, but I would rather add some than go through this again.

While I figure the solution, I have wound up the other drivers front shock perch to somewhere near my happy ride height.

Im now planning on driving the car around the corner this week to the local tyre garage to see if their air gun has any impact on this nut.... fingers crossed

15. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Need product recommendations please.

I want to bond this modified fuel filler box to the underside of the rear fender. Any ideas on something that will glue it in place solid ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Scott - you could use Loctite Hysol 9430 structural epoxy. It is used for bonding dissimilar materials and is resistant to water, salt spray and other industrial fluids. It cures at room temp (although it takes a 5 full days) or it can be heated and cured faster. I have used it for bonding carbon fiber to wood along with a few other items and it has been outstanding. http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8802700296193

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so when the other 3 nuts are away you know for sure what thread you have - left or right thread
    you may go to a truck garage, they have the right tools. 1 inch I recommend. but with 2 meter extension not loosen the nut? :( you are 3 people?) one push the brake pedal as hard as possible, may be engine running to have vacuum support. may be 1 or 2 additional wedges put to the wheels. the other may stand on the extension ( the more weight the better ) and the 3rd may take a 5 kg hammer and knock on the tool at the nut. so it HAS to get loose ! ! !
    I have at home an air impact wrench 1" what loose up to 1400 Nm. and even with this I once had problem. but with 2 meter extension it MUST get loose ! ! !
    good luck :)

spiderscott likes this.
  18. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Scott sounds like you're having fun. There is no controversy regarding adding grease to the splines when installing the bolts. This is a post from years ago with advise from Rifledriver ( Brian Crall ) I would consider this the proper way to install the bolt and see that he mentions the difficulty with taking the wheel off.

spiderscott likes this.
  19. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Scott it looks like from your driveway you need to build a bigger garage or get some car lifts in there. Love the project!,

20. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Thanks for sharing this, really good to know that procedure. Also might explain why I have this current predicament with mine.

21. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I need some kind of hidden bat cave :D:D:D

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you more need a hangar for airplanes :)
    but better a little larger, you never know what comes next :) :)

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    to your wheelnut problem:
    when all is not working try the following, but be VERY carefull ! ! !
    put the big nut whith the long extension on the nut. then more the car until the extension touches the floor. then start the engine and try to drive in this direction that the nut will get open. but as I told you : be very carefull ! ! !

spiderscott likes this.
  24. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Body shop supply stores in the US. has over 40 types of bonding glues for just about any application. (Fusor) Try them.
    Unfortunately, you maybe have to cut the large nut off the wheel with a cut off grinding wheel. Careful about the hub. Take one of the other nuts and see how far you can cut without damage.

spiderscott likes this.