Paint Protection | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Paint Protection

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Shoffman, Feb 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I just had my entire RR done with Suntek Ultra and it was $5200. This sounds high to me. I paid $2100 for Suntek Ultra Track Pack on my Cali T. The Suntek Ultra already has some of the features of the ceramic coating.

2. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I was going to skip the Ceramic until I saw the difference in shine. It really enhances the clear coat.

3. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    Shoffman, did you call Executive paint protection on rte 110 farmingdale?

4. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    Thx, I’ll give them a call; I’d really like to get the ceramic coating done before I drive the car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    I highly recommend the film for sure before driving. I heard about a guy who got a rock chip in first 20 miles. Ouch!

Napoli likes this.
  6. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    The person doing the labor doesn't get paid anywhere close to $50/hour even if you live in downtown LA. As others have chimed in, $7,700 for PPF and a coating is a gigantic rip-off.

The yellowing you talked about in your prior post has to do with the adhesive installers would use for PPF (years ago), which is no longer the mainstream option.

7. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Just my 2 cents, ceramic coating on top of clear bra is not a waste. It absorbs into the clear bra and seems to make it more durable and the car washes a lot better and easier than without the ceramic coating. With that being said, cost for this can be extremely variable based on product used. I get the c quartz pro from amazon. About $70 for the large bottle and that covers 2 cars. It takes my buddies employee about 1.5 hours to do the entire car. Wipe on, let dry for a minute or 2 and then wipe off. Pretty easy. So far I have a scuderia with cquartz applied 2 years ago and it’s still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I pickup my car from the dealer and tippytoe straight to my installer. Film, ceramic, tint, and peace of mind. Worth the wait.

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I have to question the logics of putting a ceramic coating over a wrap film ???? Say Xpel was used ( I don't know if the Suntek has the feature ) wouldn't that interfere with the self healing properties ? So technically if the surface of the ceramic was scratched it would remain.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Suntek does have the self-healing but it also has some of the hydrophobic properties of the ceramic coating. We paid to have the ceramic coating put on our Cayenne TTS back in 2014 and it didn't keep the car from getting the swirls in the paint. It was a black car and they put the front bra and ceramic coating on at the dealer. I still had trouble keeping it clean and it did get swirls in the paint.

11. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    I paid $7k to wrap my 458 Spider in 2015. Best money spent ever! I have no damage to my paint in three years. I can't recommend this enough. I do think there is a huge difference in who does the work, so paying $7k may be worth it if you're comparing to $5k. Those who know what they're doing have a lot of experience wrapping many high end cars and they take their time to get it perfect (every corner and edge wrapped around, remove bumpers/lights, etc). This should not be done with pre-cut sheets, but custom cut with razor blades as they mold it to the curves of the car.

I had the team that Mercedes outsources to do it at their dealer and they did a good job, but not as well as Detailing Dynamics did it (e.g., a couple doors didn't get wrapped all the way around the edge).

After you wrap it in Xpel Ultimate (or the new Ultimate+), have a couple coats of ceramic put on top. I just had Detailing Dynamics on Long Island put on a couple more coats this weekend, and the results are spectacular. My car looks brand new! Check out this shine/gloss. Heck, it's better than new!

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    As you can see from my previous post I questioned the ceramic coat. Well not anymore I also had the ceramic coat done over the Xpel ultimate plus. And this is my take on it why. The film no mater how good the installer is there are still some areas that are not covered by the film even with a full wrap. ( BTW I even wrapped where Xpel didnt have a cutout , e.g under the sills, in the door jams , under the bumpers ) . The Ceramic covers those areas of paint. But one of the best reasons boy does it make washing so so easy.
    Snow , soak , hose off with filtered water then blow dry. Fast , perfect and didn't even touch the car

13. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    BTW, this is Detailing Dynamics proprietary DD Shield ceramic coating. Great stuff.

14. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    watch this video

good install vs bad install is huge difference. Plus paint correction. Plus ceramic coating. Dont ever go to the dealers they just have someone slap the pre-cut films on there for like 3-4k and pocket the rest. A good job with full paint correction, full film and ceramic should start in the 6k ballpark