Maserati QP3 4.9 Engine Sell Price | FerrariChat

Maserati QP3 4.9 Engine Sell Price

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by rennaizxance, Feb 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rennaizxance

rennaizxance Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    quentin Warner
    Hi all,

I'm interested in finding a good price range to list a 4.9 V8 from a QP3 at. I don't know much about the history of the car that it was removed from, other than it seems like the car arrived to me due to an bad case of rust that the owner did not want to repair (it would have basically been a full restoration of the whole car). I removed the engine, but I don't have a good basis in the history of Maserati to determine a fair price range for the engine itself. If anyone has any information on this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    For what it's worth - I have a QP3 and a Bora and have spent quite a lot of time trying to see how to install a manual transmission in the QP3. I might have missed something, but I think that this version of the engine is good only for another automatic QP3 (or Kyalami, but we never got those here), or a hot rod.
    In order to fit the 727 Torqueflite transmission, the back of the block was shortened a couple of inches and has a different bolt pattern than other type 107 engines. The front end architecture with full-floating front pulley hub seems to be unique to the QP3, Kyalami, and Bora, but the Bora has has the traditional back half of the block, probably the same as the manual transmission European QP3 and Kyalami.
    The best market for the engine is probably a hot rod, where the exotic appearance would be the attraction. An automatic transmission is not a drawback for that crowd. Unfortunately, although the transmission type is common, Maserati milled a chunk out of the right side of the bellhousing to clear the starter - the original application for that transmission had it on the left side. Hopefully you got the transmission along with the engine.
    I have seen a pair of engines for $5000 on Ebay, but they were there a long time, and right now on BAT there is a whole car missing carburetors for $975. I know of two derelict QP3s in my area, both still with engines. Part of the problem is that even nice QP3s are still not worth much. I rescued mine for $2500 - and it's a pretty decent car.

F456M likes this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A bit off topic but there was a French registered 5 speed QPIII for sale at Retromobile in Paris last week in the private sellers area, priced at €25K. But that was also the price limit for private exhibitors so who knows if the actual price was not higher. I am not involved, I did take a photo of the man's note with his contact info if anyone is interested.

4. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I believe that that QPIII for sale at Retromobile was the same that I already saw at Brussels Interclassics this year (and at Maastricht), also the same price around €25K without price limitation.
    So that's basically the wanted price.

5. rennaizxance

rennaizxance Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    quentin Warner
    Thank you for this information. This was quite useful and a good bit of history that I wasn't aware of. If there's anything else to list about it I'd be happy to learn more.

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What are you asking for it? I had a car with some engine trouble. New owner might be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. rennaizxance

rennaizxance Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    quentin Warner
    PM sent.

8. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    AFAIK QP3's are quite a bit more valuable/valued in Europe compared to the USA. Not sure why, but that seems to be the case.

And yes, the QP3 V8 (tipo 107 engine) actually had 2 different blocks, one for automatic and one for manual transmissions. Seems crazy that they could afford two separate castings, but that's what they did.

9. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    As a general rule, all Masers (and most luxurious classics) are more expensive in Europe than in the States...

10. aerokurt

aerokurt Rookie

Feb 4, 2011
    SW Fla & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Hello GLB,
    What part of the country are you in?
    Cheers, Kurt