Looking for a Euro 328 | FerrariChat

Looking for a Euro 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by ducowti, Feb 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Looking to replace my 86 euro. Not finding much online (here in the US). Appreciate any leads!

Thanks!

2. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    I don't know if importing from Europe is an option for you ? Forza Service www.forzaservice.nl has a superb 328 for sale. 1987, 90.000 kilometers. Forza ( maintaining my Vetro, no one else is allowed) is a great shop, all passion/knowledge , selling only top quality cars. Alex Jansen is the owner and will be happy to answer any questions.

3. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Just for my personal information, can you register Euro car ( without cat ) easily in US ? Dépends on the states ?

4. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    #4 ducowti, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    I'm certainly no authority and can only speak to my experience registering in SC. A friend in NY imported a new euro 328 in 1988 and among other steps he had to swap the gauges from celsius/Km, and not sure what he had to for EPA conformity. Whatever he had to do he was able to register in NY which has pretty stringent EPA standards. My current car came into NJ/and was first registered in MA. Before I bought mine I spent hours on phone and email w.DOT and EPA confirming/securing documentation I'd be able to register and had waivers from those agencies.

My car does not have cats, and perhaps due to relatively lax emissions (i.e. none) in SC I had no problem registering.

5. The Singer

The Singer Karting

Feb 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Consider a Swiss spec 328, as they all come with cats

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No, not all Swiss cars: only those delivered after Mid-1987.
    The first cars delivered in Switzerland were of the "standard continental Europe type", identical to the cars delivered in Italy, Germany, France etc...that is without cats; their VIN is written "ZFFWA20B0000xxxx": they have the "W" in position 4, meaning NON-cat engine.
    Starting in the mid 1987, Swiss cars (and the swedish cars, which are identical, except for the small washing outlet in font of the headlight pods) were fitted with the "C" engine, wich has a cat; their VIN is written "ZFFCA20S0000xxxxx".
    The "C" engine, having a cat, is slightly less powerful than the "W" engine, which does not have one: 255 vs 270hp. The gearbox ratios are different to compensate for this.
    This engine has a pressure regulator clearly visible were the US engine has a frequency valve, and, in its later variants, the Bosch KE Jet (and Lambda probe) vs the K-Jet of the cars without cat.

Rgds

7. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Yes Bruno, but the VIN first Swiss cars is ZFFWA20Sxxxx even I don't know until today, the technical difference with Euro car ZFFWA20Bxxxx

8. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    All of the 328s are >25 years old, so no issues importing them without modification to the US.

That said, if you live in CA (which it doesn't look like you do), you won't be able to register it there without going through the whole California BAR procedure, which I would not recommend. If you're not in CA, you're golden.

9. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Also, I have a client who has been thinking about selling his 86 Euro 328. Grigio Silverstone over Red. Two owner car, a really nice car. PM me if interested.

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It could be a minor point, such as gearbox ratios for instance (?), which differed already between swiss cars and the other "continental" cars of the earlier 308 family.

You have the exact date of the change between the "B" engine (Without catalysator) and the "C" engine (With catalysator) on Swiss cars, Bertrand?
    I know it happened somewhere "at about mid-1987", but I don't seem to recall the chassis number of the first catalysed swiss 328...

Rgds

11. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I will check my data and send you the last WA20S and the first CA20S I have

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The first "C" engined car I have is 65675, but it seems rather isolated, as the second one I could find is only 67747; as usual with Ferrari, the two versions must have been produced simultaneously for quite some time, before the "C" engine overcame the "W" engine for good.
    Rgds

13. The Singer

The Singer Karting

Feb 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Thanks nerofer & M Brandon Motorcars, So if one lives in California and wanted a Euro spec 328, a post 1987 Swiss spec that comes with cats would be the way to go.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Late Swiss version cars had the lowest power of any 328 variant and came with a different fuel injection system for which I understand parts are very difficult to get.

It is the lowest on my list for desirability.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My information shows 65675 as a W version. Mine shows 67595 in Oct as last W and 67747 in Oct as first C.

As I said, late Swiss versions had the lowest power of any variant and a different FI system.

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes Brian, agreed for the KE-Jet.
    I have to say that the debate "Euro" (= Non-cat) vs "US" (= Catalysed car) seems rather academic, as far as 328s are considered. The difference between "Euro"and "US" cars is significant indeed considering 308s, especially due to the added weight, but for the 328s the catalysed version was better "integrated from the start" by the factory; the difference in weight and power are minimal, and I'm not sure that the hassle of importing an Euro car, or having it certified in the most stringent of the US States is worth the benefits, but that's just my opinion.
    Rgds

17. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    The performance 'juice' may not be deemed worth the squeeze of import/conforming, but the aesthetically unadulterated version of the Euro vs US spec is, in my opinion, notably more attractive. In my search for a 328 10 years ago after I saw a Euro first, then ten more US cars, I couldn't get the Euro out of my head - like a mistress! I had eyes only for the tighter front and rear ends, the rounded mirrors of the Euro...

18. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I helped my brother locate a Euro 328 (87) after I had purchased my Euro QV (85) about 20 years ago. Mechanically 328 and QV cars seemed very similar. Same rear gearing etc. The bumpers on the Euro 328 are also shorter than the US version. The Euro 328 weight and engine Hp are also improved over the US version. It could just have been his car but it had lighter steering effort than my QV. There aren't near as many Euro 328's in the US as Euro 308's, but you have probably noticed that. Good luck with your search. (BTW) I think he paid around $40K back then.

19. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Right on. I paid about 40K also for a nice driver in 2008.

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This Non-Cat 328 cannot be brought into California.