Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 62 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Maybe nobody here wants to put enough money on the table to be considered by Williams :D

lorenzobandini likes this.
  2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    WEll, i may be an armchair expert but i remenber when i botehred to look at what williams were doing (in the days they won races) and a couldn't believe how stupid their pit stop strategy was most of the times...I mean, damon Hill was not exacly a top notch driver, but the team managed to sabotage the poor guy so often i wondered why they didn't gave me the job...i remenber once at Monaco when he was on pole, had the fastest car and they decided the best strategy was to pit him twice, lolololo i couldn't believe how stupid they could be!! i don't know, perhaps Briatore was the one they asked for advice!!!

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Brit fan from another website LOL --- "Williams' most experienced F1 driver on this year's grid is an non-talented 19 year old daddy's boy.

Just when you think F1 can't get more embarrassing."

Its a money move for a team that cannot bring on large sponsorship. Expertise is not needed to understand the life-blood of F1 - M O N E Y. I see opinion's here that very much mirror F1 insiders and the press. Williams are not a team of progress of late.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I hate this argument. None of us are racing drivers, even the ones that are, Stroll & Sirotkin are still faster...doesn't mean we can't criticize!:rolleyes:

There are enough here with ''experience'' enough to see what is a good or bad thing for a team. I wouldn't advice Ferrari to hire a Billionaires son as lead aerodynamicist simply because he fancies the job and daddy promises to pay his wages & he's had a semester of maths at Arizona State.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    OOOOOOH Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

That would mean every sports writer in the world shouldn't write or report.

But if you want say we should only look at actual people who have run and been involved in F1, you might want to check out Villenueve's opinion of Stroll. :)

Bas likes this.
  6. 'Both off on tangents. I'll try another way....

Why doncha's apply for the job of selling the sponsorship for Williams so it can run the business the way you decide it should be run?

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Zero interest working for someone else. The only way to truly change the regime there is to run the team, and since Frank Williams isn't my dad I doubt he'll kick his daughter out.

I understand cash poor teams selling their (or 1) seats to a driver with combination of talent and money, sacrificing some talent for a bigger wallet. It doesn't make sense with Williams. They've got a good car yet 1 of their drivers is out of his depth (no comment on Sirotkin yet from me).

8. DF1

You do it....since we are not up to your calibre of thinking.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I'm giving Lance another year, it is now or never.

10. DF1

tifoso2728 likes this.
  11. DF1

He needs measurable progress or he has much less credibility if any.

12. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Qualifying behind hopeless Honda engined cars, year old Ferrari units and so on when you have the best power unit on board does make it a whole lot easier. Passing 2-4 cars or so on the start alone when you start that far back is pretty easy.

375+ likes this.
  14. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Whatever. Not even glorious Max Verstappen manages to survive first laps at any rate and he tends to start in pretty high up places where there is much less action and pressure.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Verstappen typically qualified behind Vettel/Hamilton, sometimes the other Merc and/or Ferrari. Since there are fewer cars in front of him, it does make it a little harder overtaking many cars. Especially considering the lack of power he had compared to the cars ahead and around him.

Speaking of Max...here's a masterclass in first lap overtaking. Mind how his better start advantage was immediately negated after being blocked so all overtakes where pretty much done on track, unlike Stroll's typical power launches, taking the under powered cars and then play ''trulli train'' for the next 2 hours

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    The only time Strollet managed to qualify well, he lost places quite rapidly..remenber Monza?

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  17. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Who cares? You don’t get points for fast starting...

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Well, you could..but you'd have to keep the places you gained...not go backwards like the stroller...

subirg likes this.
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Trulli Train?

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Trulli was famous for qualifying well but lacking race pace....and normally ended up with a train of cars right behind him and he'd do just enough so they couldn't pass. Trulli Train.

(the difference is that Stroll isn't a good qualifier)

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yep, he was also known for his defensive driving style which he would hold off quicker drivers, at times for an entire race.

Bas likes this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I was never terribly impressed with Jarno and he whined more than a little bit when Alonso was his teammate. He did manage one win(Monaco?)didn't he?

23. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yup, of all places (2004).

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yeah. He was an enigma...could be blindingly fast on a single lap but almost always slow during the race.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I loved that except negative points on the dive bomb on the Williams. Otherwise it showed perfect balance of control, aggressiveness, and patience.

Bas and 375+ like this.