For Sale - Custom 18" Bora/Merak wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires | FerrariChat

For Sale Custom 18" Bora/Merak wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

Discussion in 'Other Parts & Collectibles' started by richarmx, Feb 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richarmx

richarmx Rookie

Feb 9, 2015
    Fairfax Station VA
    Full Name:
    Mark Richards
    18" X 8" custom alloy/aluminum wheels for the Bora or Merak. These were fabricated in the Bora/Merak bolt pattern (4 X 130mm). The custom wheels with modern high performance tires fill out the same profile as the very wide "bulging" on the original 15" tires. The 18" wheel diameter was the smallest that could fit modern ultra high performance tires.

The wheels are powder coated in the original Campagnolo wheel color. The design was meant to look like it could have been offered by Campagnolo in the 1970s. It has solid sections in the wheel center (like the Bora), openings in the wheel center (like the Merak), and a trident design that only becomes apparent as you get closer to the wheel.

The wheels have Michelin Pilot Super Sport ultra high performance tires mounted. The front tire size is 225/45 ZR18, and the rear size is 245/45 ZR18, both almost the exact diameter of the original tires.

The wheels were just finished after a long term design and fabrication project. They have less than 25 miles on them for testing (by a noted Maserati mechanic) and for pictures. The last picture shows a custom wheel on the front, and an original wheel on the back.

The wheels are for sale to help with a property purchase in central California. I'm hoping to keep the Maserati Merak in the pictures, since it has a factory installed SS motor and just finished up with a 3-1/2 year restoration (with solid exhaust valves, other motor upgrades, a Larini exhaust system, headers, custom adjustable rear coil-over shocks & springs, etc). If we end up having to advertise the Merak I'll also post that here.

Hopefully another Bora or Merak owner might also want the ability to put one of the best performance tires available on their car. I'd like to find a west coast buyer, since if a new owner wanted to sell them I expect to be able to buy them back after mid to late 2019. However, they can also be crated and delivered to the port in Oakland, CA for dock-to-dock overseas shipping at surprisingly low cost.

The wheels and tires are priced below what I paid (I'll be losing a couple of thousand dollars), but one-off custom wheels are extraordinarily expensive. Please be aware of the costs of custom wheels before contacting me so that when we discuss price (while very low) it does not cause "sticker shock" when compared to off-the-shelf wheels.

I can be reached at 703-822-1831.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Looks like a first class effort! Are these from a billet?

3. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Very interesting initiative and nice work (I mean the production of such wheels)!

I am trying to do the same for the 15" Campagnolo Starbust wheels, but only going from 15" to 16".
    My goal is to circumvent the issues of old magnesium wheels and making CNC or 3pc. aluminum forged wheels.
    For Ghibli's/Indy's/Merak's I think that there is already some choice of suitable modern tyres (although not as sporty as PSS's) and the look would not depart too much from the original.

So, same question: how did you have them made, CNC machined from a billet?
    And also how did you produce the dimensional data if you did not have the original works drawings: kind of 3D laser measuring, then proportion-extrapolating the data to go from 16" to 18"?

Wish you a good sale
    Would be interested to know your price (by PM if you prefer)

4. richarmx

richarmx Rookie

Feb 9, 2015
    Fairfax Station VA
    Full Name:
    Mark Richards
    Hello Froggie,

Still figuring out how to navigate the site. I posted a reply a few minutes ago, and will try to send you a PM with more info.

Mark

5. richarmx

richarmx Rookie

Feb 9, 2015
    Fairfax Station VA
    Full Name:
    Mark Richards
    Still new to the site, and just found out how to answer the comment and question. Thanks for your kind words about the wheels.

These are from billet stock. An original wheel was scanned and modelled to create the "base" CAD/CAM program. After graphic designers modified the base program with modifications to my designs, that CAD/CAM program became the CNC instructions for cutting the wheels.

Mark Richards

6. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Congrats, Mark.
    Very nice job.
    I believe that is the future for our classic Masers that have magnesium wheels.
    Forged alloy wheels with the additional benefit (if one so wishes) of "extending" the design to 16" or more.
    Your own wheels may be of great interest for a Merak owner wishing to have some track days for vintage cars.

7. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

I can help with developing the CAD of these larger Ghibli wheels, we work with wheel suppliers too. I also have scanning equipment to ensure the larger wheels will fit!

Julian

8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Do these accept the Bora's center "disc" hub caps?