2018 F1 car reveals / leaks etc | Page 8 | FerrariChat

2018 F1 car reveals / leaks etc

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jan 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    If you were to draw a line from the top of the air intake to the top portion of the "HALO" how does a driver escape if inverted or up against a barrier? Think Alonsos crash a few years back. looks dangerous to me

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've no idea. I don't see how a driver can crawl out under it from when in Alonso's position (which he could). The car would have to be rolled over first (and that can't be done in a hurry in case it causes more injuries).

Anyone remember Heidfeld's car on fire in Hungary a few years ago? Back then it was simple engines with a small KERS system...look at that explosion. Engines more complicated now, batteries are larger...Personally? A rethink may happen soon if/when we see an accident where a driver can't get out by himself and someone else digs up this video.

I don't think the Halo looks as offensive as the prototypes did in testing last year. Certainly not pretty and I prefer without it....IMO they're great for tyres and such protection. I don't buy the smaller parts angle (Massa and the spring in '09) such a thing is practically unheard of. IMO Halo/Windscreen has a better place in oval racing where there are many more large parts, wheels, cars etc flying about and coming back (or staying on) track with cars flying by at higher speeds. And the added protection when they crash into the barriers and the high fencing. IMO oval open wheel a far more dangerous sport and Halo much more applicable there.

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Well its something that I would guess the FIA would of considered. There is IMO no space to get out if you draw the line I mentioned. As far as debris, I would guess it would help. Until debris gets stuck in the frontal opening and who knows what could happen. For Me as a drivers point of view I would not want the Halo.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    LOL!!!!

Funniest comment of the year. Bureaucracies fail to see their noses on their faces.

absostone likes this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

And they did'nt RED FLAG they race as several marshalls were putting out the fire as cars went by at high speed. Not even a safety car!!! :eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The minimum time that a driver must be able to exit an F1 car ,e.g on fire, has almost doubled now due to the Halo from 5 secs to 8-10 secs.

You don't get owt for nowt!:(

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    That's gonna be tough Inverted in gravel. The head side restraints would be difficult to discard with the Halo ,for extra space for the shoulders to maneuver out . Is there any info on the area of egress when the car is inverted for the driver to escape? IDK where they came up with this HALO. Bianchi wasn't yesterday. And Yeah How about some redflags???!!

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical

Justin Wilson .RIP.

9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    nope. they just shot tyres with a cannon which by the way are triple tethered to the car. Being inverted is real world and they did'nt try it.

10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical

Henry Surtees .RIP.

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So exiting was not considered

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    #187 absostone, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Brutal. halo would of helped in that situation. but who knows

13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yep, all they had to do was get any F1 car and put it just like Alonso's crash (Melbourne 2016) next to the armco/tyre barrier. Next, put the car upside down...literally.

Remember when Button clipped Wehrlein's car in Monaco and he ended up sideways against the tyre barrier???

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Motor Sport will always be dangerous of course, seems strange to have F1 circuits with massive run off areas ,whilst they still race Indy etc on ovals with just concrete walls...

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yes I do

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes it is. F1 has runoff for safety. Indy etc. has concrete on ovals so paying spectators can watch the race all the way around the circuit . I guess everything has a trade off including the halo. Debris vs. inverted.

17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I believe they have "cushioned walls" first then the concrete wall......I may be wrong but I remember seeing them on an oval track.

2 cars pinned sideways in less than 2yrs.....Tyres flying off into the cock-pit....Zero, Zeltch, Nada!!!!

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yea they have the safer barrier which slows the impact [deceleration}. In motorcycle racing they have a air fence. Which has the same principle. but at 200 plus its still a gamble in indy, . In Button incident the Halo would of gave more space to the Helmet. but in this instance at low speed the air box was enough to protect the driver. Now, If there was a fire and being up against the wall, would of been a whole different scenario.

19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Even at high speed too. Check out Webber's crash and he goes inverted and the nose then airbox takes the brunt of the impact. This is 2010 mind you.

Webber Crash Valencia 2010

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yah for sure the air box was the life saver, brutal. if Web would of been shiny side down with a Halo installed I couldn't see escaping.

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I wonder when we'll see our first F1 injury due to HALO. Inverted car on fire causing burns/death, broken back/neck because of a hurried turn over when the car is on smoking (not even on fire, but could be mistaken for it...and they almost always smoke after a crash!) and so on...situations a driver could normally get out themselves but not because of the HALO.

F1 crashes typically have the cars/parts going off the track, not bouncing back into the field of cars etc. Wheel tethers where again made stronger last year or this one, I forget.

I remain of the opinion that a HALO makes sense for oval racing because the cars more often than not come back onto the racing line, and the parts with it, and at higher speeds. The Halo for F1 is made for a freak incident and the solution has already been made: No heavy vehicles on track without Safety car or terrible weather.

22. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    Heres something else......if you are watching the winter olympics at all you will notice that all the Italian athletes have Kappa clothing on and the Kappa symbol can be seen on their uniforms since Kappa is an Italian company........Alfa Romeo being Italian makes even further sense in terms of sponsorship

23. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Alonso new lid........[​IMG]

polishhammer83 and NürScud like this.
  24. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I thought that last year we had some tires come OFF, so this year they've added the 3rd tether per wheel.

25. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Did I hear someone write that the Toro Rosso Honda started up . . . . and ran?? Molto Bene!