On the road again - Robb's Ferrari Adventures | Page 62 | FerrariChat

On the road again - Robb's Ferrari Adventures

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Jan 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    And when we do, you chime in to say "Just do it the Ferrari way".... Hmmm - what's the saying? "Talking out of both sides of your mouth?" ;)

Carl - I plan to continue to use proper tools, and torque oil filters to spec. What you do with your cars is your business.

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  3. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    And they had a 2018 Black 4C.

The seats were definitely updated from the launch edition cars which I found hard as a rock.

The a/c switches were sticking into the passenger’s shin area kind of sharply... but who needs passengers, right?

Robb

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The Gran Turismo on the showroom floor was updated with the latest infotainment system. I wonder if it’s possible to update older cars to this set up?

Robb

6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  9. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Would work well with the F355...

Robb

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Perhaps if you want to ruin the looks? :D Sometimes bigger is NOT better ;)

11. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I wasn't going for bigger, just more modern... which in this case... they did indeed go bigger.

Robb

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What is proper is when the oil filter does not fall off. Screwing on oil filters has been done successfully for over 100 years without a torque wrench. However, in the current day of part replacers and those more skilled in computers than what makes gasoline go boom people need more handholding. If people are uncomfortable current oil filter wrenches can be modified to take a torque spec. Long before there were DIN settings and charts we mounted ski bindings using our brains. That worked fine for most of the history of skiing. Today we have pictures of hamburgers on the cash register at McDonalds.

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Rob - great garage. Let's get back to what's important:)

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Robb,

If you are gearing up tools see if USAG is still around in the USA. Back in the day USAG was the Ferrari F1 supplier and be bought their big boxes sets with cabinets. Their tools are svelt like Snap-on but not as tough. The Svelt shapes fit tight Ferrari places. There are many places a USAG tool will be able to get 1 flat of a nut where other tools just won't fit requiring further disassembly to get at. Their boxes had just what you needed for Ferraris like that really useful USAG 376 mallet to tap cam lobes when you are dialing in cams and pinning cogs.

Robb likes this.
  15. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    bernardo66 likes this.
  16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Nice toolsRobb

Robb likes this.
  17. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    bernardo66 likes this.
  18. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  19. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    T-handle hexes.

I’m pretty happy. Only had some craftsman, husky, and Costco tools of my own before this. Lots of stuff falling apart in my motley drawers...

Looking forward to our projects now with more tools incoming.

Robb

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Robb - they ship them one set at a time? :confused:

22. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Different vendors in U.K. and Italy off eBay.

The sets are from dealers over there. Not all the dealers have all the component sets I needed. Prices are all over. So they arrive in batches in order for me to cherry pick the best pricing. They don’t batch the shipping so separate vendors works ok for me.

I’ve saved a TON doing it this way. :)

Robb

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think you still spent a tonne but who are Dave and I too judge heHas an Sd and I have so many tools I have been looking for a matching set of tool boxes.
    Great stuff.
    Good tools last a lifetime poor tools round off those hard to reach. You always get what you pay for so my suggestion is pay what you can afford and I gotta say these have nice curb appeal.

Robb likes this.
  25. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Little bit of a fun backstory:

I will be the first to admit I am NOT a trained mchanical engineer or technician. I have tremendous respect for those that are. I always wanted to be a mechanical engineer heading into college after enlisting in the army. I was a heavy equipment operator there and heavy truck driver as a sgt in a combat engineering company. A lot of cool vehicles to operate for sure. My favorite may have been a D9 dozer or Scraper that we filled with a liner to turn into a makeshift swimming pool in the field... but I digress. :)

I actually wanted to go to the GM institute and be a car designer... but chose a different school with my GI Bill. I could not pass chemistry in college several times because of the classroom size, professor’s accent, and old school access to information before the fantastic Information Age on the web and digital distribution of classroom notes, etc... so I changed majors and graduated at the top of my class in landscape architecture with a heavy emphasis in civil engineering and of course photography. I grabbed a masters degree and then worked as a professional photographer alongside the architecture and planning. Since the Great Recession photography has been my primary profession.

Still no real experience with vehicle mechanical design or operation but enjoying all that I do.

But I still enjoy vehicles and how they work, and what I can do to make them as original as possible. I will just never be as qualified to do some of the things you guys and gals excel at with mechanical work. I’m also ok with that.

So I enjoy the advice and help from the fellow owners and of course working with my trained mechanic (also a ME) and our Indy shop with a different mechanic. They make sure I don’t get in trouble but can enjoy getting the cars right - now in my own garage.

Hopefully the readers following along can see what tools I have added at my mechanics advice to be able to tackle many tasks with our cars. Still waiting on closed wrenches, small and medium torque wrenches, open wrenches, and other bits and pieces that I am happy to share.

Hopefully a month to go until the driveway is completed. I’ll have a photo report showing all the angles and how the new garage functions shortly after we move the cars in. Exciting times for sure.

Robb