Tell me about helmets | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tell me about helmets

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by SCKOMS, Sep 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clm412

clm412 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    CM
    Thank you for the list of custom painters

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Since fit has been mentioned. You should know that the fit should be just snug. And if you grab the helmet face and twist it left and right your skin and cheeks should move equal to the amount you are twisting the helmet. And make sure you try the helmet with the balaclava you are going to use. Because if the helmet fits correctly without the balaclava it wont with it on. It will be tight and usually the sock will be uncomfortable. Before I used a balaclava I used a 7-1/4 helmet, then with a Sock I needed a 7-3\8 . Ive only ever used Bell and AGV for superbike racing. And Arai for car racing. Have fun at Blackhawk I raced there for a long time, Superbike and SCCA and Skip Barber Formula Dodge . I actually met my wife there in the 90s.

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    And P.S........ if this is your first time at this track or any other track you go to, Have Fun , And Relax. And your not gonna get a contract for setting track record. Just challenge yourself slightly. Oh and watch that blend line coming out of the pits at any track you go to.

JayEff and Makuono like this.
  4. lucky34

lucky34 Rookie

Feb 21, 2017
    ... and if you are in Canada and looking for a painter, there are few of us up here too, myself (Kevin - bkdspeedpaint.com) or Patrice at Smart are 2 of them :)

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Smart Race Paint is exceptional and they have been my helmet painters for almost 20 years. They are however very very busy and my current helmet has been in line for paint for almost 4 months now and I am happy to wait. In fact they are so busy that they are turning down any new customers.

6. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    One other thing, If you are already on the track, watch out for oblivious cars coming out of the pits.

7. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    You might also make sure you do not wear cotton underwear under a fireproof suit. It defeats the purpose.

8. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, yes and no. True, cotton is in fact flammable, and can and will ignite if exposed to an ignition source. However having it underneath an otherwise fire resistant suit means that exposure is minimized if not removed completely. So long at the suit itself is zipped up and not otherwise compromised, the ignition source will not reach the cotton.

Having cotton undies on does not somehow negate or even reduce the flame retardant properties of the suit over top.

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Interestingly I have been involved in testing and studies in this exact field and it has been determined that wearing Nomex underwear nearly DOUBLES the fire resistance of a 3 layer FIA suit compared to having cotton or nothing at all. In many instances the greater risk is heat transfer to the skin. Cotton actually transfers quite a lot of heat and some people wear nylon 'sports' clothing that not only heats up fast in a fire but will turn to molten plastic on your skin. In Europe full length top and bottom Nomex underwear is required in most racing championships whereas in North America it is not. I always wear Nomex EVERYTHING when on track and have never been bothered about it even in the Middle East where it can be hot to breathe the air.

G. Pepper and Kaivball like this.
  10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    true

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I agree. but for club racing and tracking not necessary

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Totally up to you but it has been my experience that fire does not differentiate between those club racing, tracking, or even pro-racing. The risk is pretty much the same the moment you take to the track. Case in point, statistically many more drivers have been hurt or killed in practice than in races even though the general belief is that racing is the most dangerous. Again it is a personal decision how much protection you choose but don't for a moment believe that club racing or tracking is worth any less preparation.

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes it does not differentiate. And yes safety is important. Ive raced since 1992. SCCA WERA AMA/CCS. And the last 10 yrs at Autobahn Country Club. Ive only seen 1 grass fire from a hot exhaust. And if you are unconscious and the car is in flames we would need a lot more than 20 seconds of fire protection before marshalls get to you. And if someone is in a full racecar it would have a fire system the driver could activate if conscious. I'm not in any way being confrontational. I do like the fact you stated about cotton vs more nomex.

Nuvolari likes this.
  14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Mike I respect your opinion and experience and in no way see it as confrontational. Some great points are being discussed here and I don't think either one of us is any more correct than the other in their perspective.

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Awesome I agree. I'm just not any good at typing what I'm trying to say. Thx, and your Testing and studies are interesting to me and I'm sure also to Fchat. honestly.

Nuvolari likes this.
  16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Absolutely agree with you on the nylon. I don't want melted plastic on my skin, thank you.

Also totally agree that nomex will increase the protection gained form the suit. While cotton will not help in that way, the point I was trying to make was that the cotton will not decrease the level of protection, as was stated in the post I replied to.

( BTW, I am a big fan of safety. I wear my suit and nomex for HPDE track days in Florida when most of the other drivers are in shorts and t-sihirt.)

Nuvolari likes this.
  17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Being hot is great conditioning for
    Enduros

18. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe my choice of words was poor, but as a club racer, I would never ever go out in cotton underwear.

19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I thought this thread was supposed to be about helmets?

I have a big head. 7 7/8. I have to get long oval western hats. So it's hard to find comfortable helmets. Some brands make nothing that will work for me.

For motorcycle riding, SHOEI is the only brand I use, because they fit. I have four or five of them.

For the track I got an Arai (MC helmets are not accepted at most track days). I tried on at least a half dozen before I found a comfortable one.

They are all up to regulations, so comfort is key.

Schatten likes this.
  20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    George, I have the same problem with the oval head. Always a difficult fit with ski/bike/auto helmets. Stilo's in large work for my head, but that equates to a medium.

G. Pepper likes this.