WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A 308/328 - BUYERS GUIDE | Page 3 | FerrariChat

WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A 308/328 - BUYERS GUIDE

Discussion in '308/328' started by Mike C, Nov 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ckrossa

ckrossa Rookie

Nov 25, 2011
    Athens,Greece
    #51 ckrossa, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So here are the interior pics. The seller told me that in the restoration they took care mainly of bodywork and underbody and that they also did all engine gaskets. I will ask for a more detailed list of work though especially on the service. And thinking about getting it to the ferrari dealer for inspection. Given that the nearest is about 100km from the car's location what do you think more effective paying for the car transfered to ferrari dealer , inspected and shipped back or paying a ferrari mechanic to go to the car ? Finally what are your thoughts on the price ? The car seems in very good condition and it pays to buy a nice one but still most price guides put 208 in the 17000-19000 range isn't 22900 much?

Last but not least how much should I budget to set aside for maintanance for a 5yr period? 8-10k ?

Given that I am working on salary (thus my income is fixed and lowish) do you think that it is way too risky to chase the dream? ( I am married with one preschool aged child, make about 30k a year of which I save 5-8K and have already about 100k savings from which I would take a chunk for this). Given that I mainly want the savings to fund my kids college 10-12 years down the road and that I can do this now that I have still the energy to enjoy it and learn to DIY maintain the easy parts or 20 years from now that I will probably have completely forgotten how to drive with a stick. The reason I am asking is that wife is quite negative on this fearing that the money will be tied on the car or worse lost.

I try to be realist and expect that owning the car for a period of 5 to 10 years I will either break even (ie the initial cost plus maintance which let's say will total around 30k will match the sale price ) or loose about half the money but realising the dream of Ferrari ownership. I think that the car won't lose value by much and most probably stay more or less stable so I will have sunk the running costs.

I wait your thoughts and coments and thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

dinogt4guy likes this.
  2. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    If it has been stored for five years I would ask for a belt change in that price. Just to be sure, it can ruin you in no time if it breaks. "All gaskets"? Really? Not sure, but prices for 208 are generally higher than the list price you quote. If it is a nice car, not to high I would say.

If this is what you should spend your money on, no clue. I would use them on my family and my child, but that is just me, an old man. This is not the last 208GT4 for sale, and you are close to Italy where most of them are. Try to go there and look at as many as possible. And drive them! You will soon recognise the correct car for you.

Good luck!
    /Peter

3. ckrossa

ckrossa Rookie

Nov 25, 2011
    Athens,Greece
    Peter and all the other thanks. I will make the final decision but I present you all the facts available to get your objective opinion. I will ask for more clarifications on the service works and get back to you.

4. Rabriggs3

Rabriggs3 Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
    Pinecrest
    Full Name:
    Russell briggs
    Are those 456 wheels on that grey beast

5. bignami

bignami Rookie

Jun 25, 2015
    BRAZIL
    Full Name:
    EDUARDO BIGNAMI
    #56 bignami, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Please,

On the Owner's Warranty, on first page below of the identification data form and pre-delivery service there is a number # 10321-6216. Is this number the invoice or body car or other?
    Where do I find this number in the car or documentation ?

6. adupont24

adupont24 Rookie

Apr 21, 2016
    My father and I are interested in a 78 308 GTS that is being auctioned off in May. This would be our first Ferrari. We have lots of experience working on British and American sports cars but this is our first venture into an Italian sports car. The GTS is in fair condition, probably needs a major engine service, some minor interior work (no cracked dashes) and possible suspension and brake service. What can I expect to pay to have this done by a decent Ferrari mechanic and what can we do by ourselves?

7. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have the same car and I have done all the maintenance on mine myself over the past ten years. But, I have to hand it to Ferrarichat as being a fountain of helpful information in making that happen.

It's just a car. For example, the cooling fans are Lucas, same ones the Jags used in the 70s (assuming the car is original). Sounds like with your experience you can do anything that needs to be done yourself.

8. Doug63ssm

Doug63ssm Rookie

Feb 4, 2015
    Worcester
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I loved the buyers guide. Great info. I am currently looking at a 328. I did find one that seems to be a "Euro" spec based on the Vin. I am curious on the legality of a Euro spec in the US. I have heard of the grey market cars. What should I look for to ensure it is legal or legit? Any concerns or should I walk away.

Thanks,

Doug

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    They maybe "legal", that answer might come from our American friends, but remember that the main difference between "Euro" 328s (the true "Euro": VIN spelled ZFFWA20B, etc not the swiss ones: ZFFCA20S, etc - or "19" instead of 20 if this is a GTB) and US 328s is that the Euro cars DO NOT HAVE CATALYSATOR, so clearing the emissions controls might be difficult...

Rgds

10. Doug63ssm

Doug63ssm Rookie

Feb 4, 2015
    Worcester
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The car has a ZFFWA20B vin. So it sounds Like it would be a non emissions car. Gts version.

Thanks

Doug

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep, a true "continental Euro" with non-catalysed engine it is indeed (= the "W" in fourth position is the type of engine). And a GTS (= the "20" in 6th and 7th position).
    Depending on the state you are in, it might be difficult to clear the emission regulations.

Rgds

12. Patrizio

Patrizio Rookie

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Patrizio
    Hello Everyone, I'm about to buy a 1979 308GTS that is great shape overall, with 41k miles.
    Previous owner spent big bucks in restoration at a Ferrari dealer. The interiors were redone but the seats are not correct 308 seats. Not even close. So I was wondering which seats are the correct seats for a 1979 308GTS. I have been looking around and have seen different patterns for that particular year, but I don't know which ones are correct. I've seen some with three stripes sometimes with color combinations, also seats with 2 stripes and others with a more square pattern. Can someone help me out with this issue?. Thanks a lot

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Answers are here:

308-328.com

Rgds

14. Jez

Jez Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Westerham
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Gilbert
    What a great website and resource for owners
    Not seen it before when was it launched?

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    older injected cars start to have 35+ years, causing an aging problem to the fuel distributor membrane and warmup regulator too. This causes bad working with a lack of power at low RPM and/or big cutoff at high RPM. It's not easy to find who can service them, but it's a Bosch K-jetronic Fuel Injection so maybe there are experts worldwide. The problem is bigger for cars that sat for years with the same fuel in the fuel distributor.

Carbed cars MUST undergo to a full carbs rebuilding (that is not just a cleaning, you have to machine the main ducts and change the butterfly valves too) or they won't ever work well.

So: better check if those works were done, in the past.

They cost 2 k each, maybe a bit less for the F.I., maybe a bit more for the carbs

ciao

16. azmtber

azmtber Rookie

Mar 22, 2014
    This is definitely good to know for low mileage fuel injected cars!

17. Braintreebesttaxi

Feb 3, 2017
    Hingham Massachusett
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have one I can't tell if this question in 9 years old or not , but I have the book 8 feet to my left Giglio

18. Treetopflyer

Treetopflyer Rookie

Apr 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Tom Day
    Hi all,
    Ive been lurking on this site for over ELEVEN years. Emotionally I couldn't post until the day came when I might finally be able to own my own car. But, now it looks like I might be able to FINALLY fulfill a dream from when I was 8 years old. I think I may finally be able to start the search for my own 308. I'm in Canada and wondering if anyone could kindly provide guidance on how a Canadian can successfully navigate sourcing and purchasing a great 308.
    Thanks all. So happy to be able to post my first message on FerrariChat.

19. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.

I will tell you how I did it. I started by searching on www.cargurus.com

I think you can search for cars in Canada, as well as the U.S.

Of course, Ferraris are far more rare than, say, Honda or Chevy, so you will have to have a wide search area.

Good luck!

- Sam in Saratoga

20. Gbrittain99

Gbrittain99 Rookie

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Guy Britt
    I will be selling my mint 1985 mint 308 hrs q.v. with 10k miles on it soon Georgous and rare!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Guy, where are you located?

22. Gbrittain99

Gbrittain99 Rookie

Nov 2, 2017