Front to Rear Coolant Pipe | FerrariChat

Front to Rear Coolant Pipe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by msark, Feb 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Has anyone extended or modified the pipe so that the rubber connector hose and clamps is accessible with less effort? Or ... Thoughts on going with an aircraft grade flex hose with stainless steel braiding?

Also.... In a warm climate ( I'm in So. California) has anyone tried a non standard mix of water / anti freeze and or other cooling or water wetter mixtures with improved results?

Thanks.... Mark

2. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I did a water pump replacement this last year on my 86 mondial 3.2. When I got into the project I discovered a mix of rubber elbows and aluminum pipes that made their way to front radiators. Since I was doing the timing belt change as well, I decided to stay on task and not replace all the rubber fittings. Kinda wish I had done it but honestly the (2) long rubber hoses that sit on top of each other running down the middle channel scared the hell out of me. What if I couldn't feed it back thru the slot? I inspected the rubber fittings and they looked to be in good shape so I left that project for another day. I think the biggest improvement you could make to the system is to add a bleeder valve at the lowest point to allow for a simple draining and antifreeze flush.

I used 50/50 prestone antifreeze premixed........florida climate

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I did too scratched behind my ear to replace the center pipes, but know what sometimes comes out, and one pipe was leaking a drop from time it was a ticking time bomb. Bartzagato really had a nasty issue with one of his pipes, which he discovered at a later stage after he noticed the temp went up slowly.

It's very doable, but it just takes some time and you certainly need a lift. The side affect is that you need to re-align your shift shaft stick (gear stick)

Recycling some of Bart's and my bits.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/anyone-replace-the-center-pipe-coolant-hose-before.440201/page-3

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/lady-greys-radiator-has-aged-a-lot.507815/

The horror of Bart's Mondial:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/temp-slowly-creeping-up.504097/#post-144416490

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Before I ended up stripping most of the car, I planned to rebuild the water pump and change out the pipes as they had started to show signs of stress/wear.

The water pump was pretty good and really just needed a good clean out - though didn’t look like the most powerful of impellers!

I went with silicone pies and found -them easy enough to source direct from a manufacturer - I took them a metal pipe pre-bent to match that bent pipe just after the rad.

I had a couple of the aluminium pipes replaced where they’d chaffed on other parts - oddly affordable from Ferrari UK. The main long pies were a PITA to pull out. That was mainly because of how swollen they were in places and outer layers deteriorating.

Once I ended up pulling the engine I think I considered an aluminium replacement, suitably protected to insulate and prevent vibration. I figured it’d be stronger - the bulged pipes had generated a sense of ‘catastrophic failure’ / slow leak and rusting floor - and lighter (slightly) and easier to fit /remove if ever I needed to (albeit with the engine out). I also looked to fit drain valves; as it seemed crazy how draining down the system seemed to risk spilling antifreeze.

I’d just had my house re-plumbed, so I was perhaps a bit pipe obsessed!?

I also looked at waterless cooling. At the time there were a few threads and possible issues with some brands and reaction to aluminium and creating a kind of ‘chewing gum’. However, I think there are options out there now. One issue mine suffered from was internal corrosion of the header tank, due to a chemical reaction of the coolant and metals - quite normal where water was part of the mix. I replaced the header with a copy part - very nice (super performance I believe) and I rebuilt the float / sender.

That said, the thing had lasted 20 years on stock, so I don’t think OEM is that bad.

Nonetheless, when I get back to the car and sort engine options then better drainage and cooling will be on the cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk