348 Front Brake Pad Replacement | FerrariChat

348 Front Brake Pad Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 348uk, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I need to replace the front discs and pads in my '93 348 ts.

I've had a look tonight to see what is involved, can anybody give me some tips to replacing the pads?

The pad retaining springs don't look like they will pop out, do I have to split the caliper to remove the pads?

If so, what is involved?

Can I expect some difficulties undoing the bolts?

Thanks guys

2. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've discovered that the spring will release by compressing it downwards.

I'd still appreciate any advise that is out there.

3. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    if you have to replace the rotors, you will have to take off the bleeder hoses and unbolt the calipers. However, if its just pads, it's an easy job. just pinch the clips vertically and they should hinge downwards. The pads should slide out. Prior to putting some new pads in, you should use anti-squeal grease or spray... compress the pistons on both sides all the way using a screwdriver... and slide pads in...done! they should bed and seat themselves...

Others have used a feeler gauge, but I found that this quick change was sufficient for my race pads...and had no problems having new pads seat on new rotors, either!

good luck...

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    What are the best road/track pads to get >>>>

5. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    Let me just add that recently i asked a similar question about changing my front pads, and how easy, what was involved and all like that. one of the guys who REALLY knows about this stuff [unlike my part-time mechaniking], warned that to only do the fronts may not be such a good idea, and that the best thing to do was to change all wheels at once.

having said that, i am changing to greenstuff, which is a different material, and i know that had something to do with it. but maybe someone who is expert in this area could shed more light.

yes, no, maybe??

6. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Sorry to be so naive, I take it that 'greenstuff' is a different type of pad material or a brand of pad, right?

please tell me more about them.

7. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

Road: Axxiss Ultimates... ceramic composite, good on the rotors, no squeal... I have an extra set for the 348... I can't remember how much exactly I paid for it, let's just say $120 will take it (plus shipping)

Track: I loved using Cobalt Friction Spec-VR pads....high brake temps, little fade, and easier on the rotors!

Byron

8. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Byron,

Do you have these for the fronts only or rears as well ?

How much to ship to the UK?

Or do you know of a UK suppier ?

Thanks

9. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well thanks to you guys, this proved to be a very simple job.

I may upgrade to a better pad soon though.

Byron has given a few tips on this but does anyone have any other recomendations for a good fast road pad?

If you know of a UK supplier that would also be useful.

10. GOB

GOB Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Panama
    Full Name:
    Gus
    EBC Greenstuff are notorious for causing rotor damage (warping). Some people like them, others hate them (guess which camp I come from...). Porterfield RS4 pads have gotten excellent reviews. Cheaper, but apparently very good, are the PBR Metal Masters. I do not know if these manufacturers make their pads for Ferrari, nor do I know how to replace pads on a Ferrari.

11. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

I don't know of a UK supplier... I do have both front and rears. The price I quoted was just for you guys here.... for both front AND rears. :) 348uk, figure out how much it is to ship to the UK... I can mail it out this weekend, and you can just pay me via paypal if you are interested.

The Axxiss pads got really good ratings from numerous caliper/rotor companies, including cobalt friction, stoptech, and brembo. They fit with stock 348 rotors/calipers... and are the same size front and back

btw, as a side note, did you know that the 348 stock brake pads are the same size as porsche brakes? :) I would not use the greenstuff... however, I did also hear some good things about porterfield and ferrodo brake pads.

good luck!

Byron

12. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Porterfield is located in California, and I don't know if they're readily available in the UK, but I've had good experience with them. I used the race compound (R-4?) on my GT4 track car for several years and liked them a lot- not too tough on rotors either. I've just put them on my 348 Challenge car but won't have a chance to try them until next month's FCA event at Sebring. I suspect that their street pads (also carbon-kevlar) would be less noisy (it'd be hard to be any noisier), but haven't tried them.

13. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Byron,

Can you please email me so that we can discuss the purchase further.

[email protected]

14. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    why not use greenstuff?

personal preference, or somthing i dont know??

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've heard many good things about both EBC and Axxis pads. I have used the Axxis Metalmasters on several cars with good results. For street use (no tracking) the Axxis Delux Plus is supposed to be a good choice as well; quiet and gentle to rotors...or so they claim.
    http://www.zeckhausen.com/axxis_pads.htm

There are many on-line source for Axxis pads at competitive prices.