488 - 488 Pista Picture Thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 488 Pista Picture Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by -CD-, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    I bet Ferrari never thought they'd be playing catch-up to anyone...

Maggio23, xfrgtr and dustman like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Oh please. they aren't playing catch up. We have beat this dead horse a 1000 times here. Lets not start it again.

REALZEUS and Shadowfax like this.
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Hilarious comment. Ferrari continues to be the standard bearer and the envy of their market segment. Their product line is absolutely spectacular.

racerdj, Shadowfax and markonex like this.
  4. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    I am sure it will perform, something tells me it will fall short of the 720s though, which will make Ferrari basically a joke if the track focused car is behind the competitors normal street car. I hope I am wrong, but frankly seriously doubt it.

xfrgtr likes this.
  5. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Who cares.......don't like, don't buy......simple.

PATRIEK, lanpa8, Shadowfax and 3 others like this.
  6. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I was hoping for a more sleeker door handles… I wasn’t a big fan of this type of handle on the 488, as it looks out of place….

xfrgtr and chrixxx like this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I think some will be offended by this comment but as a Ferrari enthusiast and owner I tend to agree. Mc has really surpassed F in the mid-range sports car race at least for this cycle. I hope F doesnt follow though as I greatly prefer the F cars whcih have noise and drama vs teh Mc/720s.

xfrgtr likes this.
  8. cortwagner

cortwagner Karting

Aug 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Just the right amount of aggression IMO. Not to crazy, definitely different enough and I bet it sounds AMAZING. Ferrari has been working on exhaust tuning and the right sound, which they do better than anyone in the new muted turbo era. They are also taking a bunch of technology from the Challenge cars, light weight materials, lightweight components, traction control, etc. and applying to this car. I drive in the challenge series and I can tell you the 488 challenge car is a BEAST, and very docile at the limit as well, amazing street / GT car combination.

9. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    So as a previous Mac owner (650S Spyder) I can say Mac is a "one off" purchase not to be repeated. Most of my buddies who bought Macs (650S, 675Lt etc) feel the same way. This mid-range race is far from over and Ferrari know they need to lift their game.

Good to have Mac get Ferrari out of complacency. 488Pista is proof its worked

10. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Although I would still spec one in white if I was fortunate enough to be given an allocation, I think it would have been "better" if the car had 750+ hp to one up the 720s in the hp race

11. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Who are they playing catch-up to exactly?

But back to the car. Looks great! Ferrari design is doing just fine.

The 812 is great, this car is great, Portofino is great, supermodels are fantastic, SP's are awesome...lot's of wins.

-F

Shack, JagShergill, stavura and 2 others like this.
  12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Starts with a M and ends in an n. Seven letters. :D

Hopefully this car levels up with the 720s on numbers and provides more driver involvement which seems to be Mac's weak point.

Fingers crossed, we have a winner here.

No doubt the bar will move again, when Mac releases their 720s upgrade, but that is the nature of arms races.

13. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    I also agree. We don’t all need to be diehard fanbois.

McLaren has indeed surpassed Ferrari this cycle. And the Senna obliterates it. Can’t wait for the Long Tail.

People are asking for CF Tub and Active Spoiler on this very thread. Things McLaren has had for years. Just calling it the way I see it (however unpopular).

xfrgtr likes this.
  14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'm curious how that front bumper fits into the European pedestrian impact regulations. I'm sure it does.... but I thought the overall design of 'sharp' front angles was problematic.

15. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Residuals tell a different story......

Shadowfax, Bundy, Shack and 2 others like this.
  16. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    This ^^^.

Just wait until the 720 LT comes out. Afraid that Ferrari is consistently one step behind.

donj and xfrgtr like this.
  17. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Why this obsession for the ultimate performance for street car I don’t understand, the most important is the Feeling, design, emotion, I spend my money for that. 0-100 in 2,5 sec or in 2,8 sec is not important honestly is a joke criteria for buying a car

18. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Admittedly; I have not read this thread from the beginning.

I was at the presentation at my delaer yesterday. About 25 people invited and many were not invited or turned down invites to the presentation (A lot of familiar faces were missing).

The pista wouldn't be the top car for anyone who was invited.

Golf clap at the end of the video.

The video started with the head of marketing and then the other three people who were talking/discussing were ferrari race car drivers. While watching the video; one would actually want to grab his/her helmet and get on track. The majority of the video was about the racing heritage and how the car is going to perform very well on track. Maybe a couple of comments about it's a ferrari so it should be beautiful and the sound should be great.

Unlike the speculation/posts on these forums; very little of the video had to do with the styling or even discussion of the styling or how the car was named. Ferrari thinks it was pretty important to get across how it was going to perform and its' performance statistics.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    No idea, but It's a story I've already heard when the Speciale came out...

20. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I tend to agree with your comment but you have to remember that Ferrari has named this car PISTA...meaning TRACK.

If you're going to name your car after a place where racing takes place and tenths of seconds matter, then you better be competitive in that market.

This is NOT a V12 GT car we are talking about.

JimmyChooToo, xfrgtr and Melvok like this.
  21. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I’m sure it comes down to insecurity. I have to say my car has more horsepower or is 0.3 seconds faster to 60 than yours so I can brag. The reality is anything over 500hp is more than nuts for the street. And for the very few on this forum that actually take it to the track, tires and driver make more of an impact than hp or 0-60 times. If I’m on the track and I’m going from 0 to anything (except from the pits) then something is seriously wrong.

I suspect the majority of those that actually do track their cars aren’t the ones wishing their car had the biggest numbers on paper. People who post comments like “Ferrari only has 711 hp and not 720 like McLaren so Ferrari lost” just don’t get how cars can be special beyond the numbers. I’m ok with that. Continue to not get it and buy whatever car brings you happiness in whatever way. Just take the bashing attitude with you.

It’s like people that sup up a 1996 Mazda and brag how they have 1000hp and great 0-60 times. No one but you cares and we don’t want to hear how your car is better than everyone else’s. It’s not and I’ll be right behind you picking up all the crap that falls off as you rocket to 60 and then have to rebuild the engine, and springs, and transmission, and ego.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    The thread wouldn't be complete without a few sour mclaren comments.

Shadowfax and nads like this.
  23. Roccob

Roccob Rookie

Feb 6, 2015
    Yeh then soon to be followed by 489 (or whatever its called) then 489 Special etc etc etc. Its called progress & each company not in the same cycle for releasing models.

FYI the 488 Pista should really be compared to 675 LT so let's see how it performs against that :)

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    My guess is Ferrari opted to stay clear of playing too much into the hp game - a game Mac has been playing in their desperate bid to win over the buyers. OTOH Ferrari is staying focused on producing a superior design and driving experience. The performance figures also demonstrate they don't need a higher hp figure to claim superiority over a 720 mac.

Another example is what the 2rs can do with an even lesser figure of 700hp....

Mac is the brand that has the problem....even with 720hp. Always did. The design and driving experience remains a serious work in progress imho.

lanpa8 likes this.
  25. Zlaatan

Zlaatan Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2005
    I love the looks but am not so fond of the name. But that's perfectly fine since the name doesn't really matter if we're perfectly honest. How it looks however matters very much, and imo it looks fantastic.

jack118d and Shadowfax like this.