Apple CarPlay on Portofino $4,219 - Is that a price list typo? | FerrariChat

Apple CarPlay on Portofino $4,219 - Is that a price list typo?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by F430 Driver, Feb 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Just got the price list for Portofino. Love the car. Fixed all the things I did not love on the Cali's.

One thing jumped out at me on the options list was Apple Carplay. Is $4,219 actually what Ferrari is charging for that? I know it is Ferrari but even for them, this one seems bizarre.

BMW is $250 and people are flipping over that. Mass-market brands don't even charge for Apple Carplay. $4,219 would represent 100% profit for Ferrari.

The Hi-Power Hifi system is only $6,243. If an entire system is that much for upgraded audio how can carplay be over 4 grand?

Everything else on the list is pretty much in line with what I expect from Ferrari. If it is $4219 is that Ferrari's way of saying do not order it? I'm not really that interested in carplay anyway but was just curious because this one really jumped off the list!

DGPF likes this.
  2. Superfans

Superfans Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Superfans
    Mind posting the price list?

3. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
  4. Superfans

Superfans Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Superfans
  5. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    On the other hand the carbon front (and rear) air vents are the same price...

SV

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #6 tomc, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Do I miss shields in your list? Is it now mandatory and no longer an option?!? ;)

Is parking camera, rear only?!? I assume "free" (rolled into the base price) now due to new government regs?

T

Edit - I see it. Page 2. Nice.

7. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Carbon Fiber + LEDS = $5,062

T

9. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
  10. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    I believe that CarPlay is a licensing issue. Manufacturers selling hundreds of thousands of cars per year can spread the cost over all those sales. Divide whatever the license fee is across only 4 or 5 thousand Ferraris where CarPlay is purchased and you get an exorbitant cost per car. More offensive is 6k for front and rear cameras that likely cost $50 each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OwenC, anunakki and F430 Driver like this.
  11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Not a typo. It costs the same on the GTC4Lusso.

I’m willing to bet CarPlay the most overpriced high margin option ever made in a modern Ferrari.

F430 Driver likes this.
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #12 TheMayor, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    It is absolutely HIGHWAY ROBBERY to charge $4219 for piece of software.

Ridiculous. Tell Ferrari and Apple to stuff it.

This is what fries me about Ferrari pricing -- crazy option pricing.

$4200 for CF air vents? In a Corvette C7 the entire DASH and steering wheel can be CF and that option costs $1100. CF is CF.

You want yellow calipers on a Fiat 500? $100. Paint is PAINT.

They have a right to do it, and we have a right to say "forget it!"

430tdf, DGPF, Yassir Al-Arabi and 6 others like this.
  13. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Yup but that feels like a much better value since it is
    Agree 100% on all!

Even BMW $250 for Carplay is nuts. Apple should be grateful people use it in a car vs the alternatives and should be begging companies to put it in anyway. Apple Carplay is just really not that good. If it was a zero cost item I would get it. Anything over that not so interested.

Air vents and a few other things a bit crazy but have we become partially conditioned to the consistent crazy of it all. Hard to stomach a lot of those option prices no matter how much disposable income you have.

14. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I think were I able to purchase one new, only CF bit id factory order is the steering wheel, and only because its highly popular. all the other CF bits I would want i could add later. while the front camera would be just awesome i cant justify over 6k for it so id continue to back into spots. since Ferrari stereos seem to suck, and in none of the Ferrari's I have rented nor test drove did i ever actually use the radio id skip the "hifi" option. I dont smoke anymore so dont need that kit. seems your paying the same regardless of the color you choose for calipers so pick what ever floats yer boat. Id personally probably choose the yellow tach, and for the rest of the options the diamond rims, passenger screen, shields, sport pipes, all the leather options except the colored upper dash, and depending on what colors i choose maybe the special stitching, and probably the horse stitched into the head rest. Would still probably set me back a couple of bucks though but at least for now ordering a new Ferrari is a pipe dream.

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Because rear cameras are law starting in 2018 the 6k is really just for the front camera :eek:

16. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Can't decide what is worse. 6k for a front camera or 4k for Carplay. Tough decision there. Can afford it but won't order either at that price on principal alone. Imagine telling somebody "yeah I got apple carplay AND a front camera on my Portofino for just $10 grand!"

DGPF and OwenC like this.
  17. bpolsky

bpolsky Rookie

Nov 4, 2017
    What is the base price before any options for the Portofino? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Base price $214,533 (that includes delivery, prep, etc).

19. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    $6,075 for the front camera is much worst. The part is $9 retail and the $9 one is higher quality than the Factory one in my California. I know because I put one in my old Land Rover and love it. It’s clearer and has superior night vision. I’m sure the new Portofino one will be just as good as the $9 one though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253039868289

I do hope that for $6,075 Ferrari is including the 360 degree Birds Eye camera in the Portofino. That would make it easier for me to swallow.

DGPF likes this.
  20. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    BMW decided to charge $80 a year using a subscription model. Apple responded, saying there was no ongoing charge incurred by any manufacturer. BMW say they have cancelled the one off charge.

So a first owner might pay $240, and second owner a further $240 and if BMW get lucky a third owner might pay again, depending on how relevant the old software is at that stage.

21. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Ferrari would be better off adding the $4k to the price of the car and including it as standard.

drjon, Caeruleus11 and F430 Driver like this.
  22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The lunacy of Ferrari option pricing

Flat black calipers: Standard N/C
    Glossy black calipers: $1500

Its....PAINT. You could argue it costs more to paint an Aluminum caliper yellow or red -- but BLACK?

Back with the F430, they used to have any black painted caliper be N/C. Then, when the 458 came along they realized they could make people pay for a different black paint.

Voila'! Instant cash.

Now I see that even the Rev counters are being charged a grand for a color. It used to be only white was an extra charge. Now ALL colors are an extra charge. For what?

It's insulting to our intelligence. Just raise the price of the car and have the options be more reasonable. I expect to pay more but don't make me think I'm a fool being taken to the cleaners.

430tdf, DGPF, rocketman and 2 others like this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My first new car was barely more me than that! But, if you DD it, could be worth it. For a weekend toy, I'd pass on those. Don't use radio or nav in current Cali. Rarely even look at the backup camera while reversing, do it the old fashioned way.
    T

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    DGPF and Matthew Rose like this.
  25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't know about "penalizing" but for sure they are really aggressive in pushing options in the first year.

I am not against Ferrari making as much money as they can. I'm against the idea that I feel gouged. I don't need to feel I've just been taken to the cleaners after ordering a car.

Just raise the price of the car, include some of the best "options" as standard and price them only 4 times what you would any other car out there.

They are not alone. Lambo and RR are also just as bad.

F430 Driver likes this.