Tesla Model 3 - Make or Break ?? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Tesla Model 3 - Make or Break ??

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F2003-GA, Feb 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

ZERO investment in TSLA.

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you just seem so convinced of the impending doom to befall tesla that it would be worth putting some money on it.
    or do you want others to do that?

3. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Don't shoot the messenger.

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Why are you insistent that folks loose money shorting the stock for the right to talk negatively about Tesla :confused:
    The good many Journalist that write negative reviews about Tesla as well

5. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    because its easy to talk **** about somebody and deride their efforts, while you sit back and keep living your lives in relative obscurity and add very little to forwarding humanity.
    if you truly have the courage of your convictions, then act on them.
    if you just take pleasure in monday-morning-quarterbacking and parroting the negative press by more people whose contribution to the planet is minimal, well i have little respect for that.

6. Hugh Conway

Hugh Conway Karting

Jul 24, 2012
    There's a difference between thinking TSLA won't succeed and thinking TSLA is a good stock to short. The short interest alone should give one pause on the latter.

F2003-GA likes this.
  7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Your missing my point so I'd rather leave like it is

8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think both demonstrate a fundamental misunderstanding of the company, the industry, and the man.

9. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Will Tesla Have To Pre-Announce A 42% Q1 Sales Miss?

Summary

We now have sales numbers for January and February for Tesla’s biggest countries, including the US and Europe.

For some, we have only January as of yet, but they are remarkably consistent with the ones from whom we also have February numbers.

Adding it all up, it’s looking like a 42% shortfall for Tesla.

Adding up all geographies, it looks like Tesla sold an estimated 11,548 cars in January and February combined. Can Tesla deliver a similar number - 11,548 - in March alone?

If so, the quarter would end at 23,096 units - a 42% shortfall from a 40,000 unit consensus (25,000 Model S and X combined, plus 15,000 Model 3).

We all know that Tesla's (TSLA) Model 3 sales have already fallen way behind Tesla's guidance this quarter. Its guidance has been for 400,000 Model 3 units in 2018, for a total of 500,000 units when adding 100,000 from the Model S and X columns.

With 1,875 Model 3 units in January and 2,485 in February, the Model 3 already is looking like an epic miss of Olympian proportions. At 2,500 per month, that would be a measly 30,000 a year, or more than a 90% shortfall from the 400,000 per year guidance. Adding insult to injury, Tesla admitted in its February 7 financial report that the Model 3 has negative gross margin even at a selling price that's currently starting at $50,000. One certainly understands the company's reluctance to start selling the $36,000 version.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4153066-will-tesla-pre-announce-42-percent-q1-sales-miss

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    This would be detrimental in 99% of the time but Tesla will prevail as far as the stock valuation is concerned.
    The most interesting underlying fact is they are running a negative gross margin on the Tesla 3. That is
    suppose to be a profitable car. Anyways wish them luck in the long run

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    My friend cancelled his order for his Model 3 after getting updates with more delays. He was surprised they refunded his deposit within a week of the cancellation.

12. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    they have nearly 500k orders already, so your friend's cancellation just allowed them to deliver another person's car a day earlier..... :)

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Lol that's pretty bad if it's 1 car delivered per day to shift someone up a day. I figured it would move the line up a few minutes at most since their goal is 5,000 units a week by end of Q2.

14. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i was just being sarcastic to make the point that your friend's order retraction will not amount to much at all in the big scheme of things.

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i tried to get solarcity to quote me for naples and they wont !

16. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sola City better stop calling me before I go postal on them!

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Depending on what your HOA allows they are alternatives
    Maybe this can be more cost effective
    https://electrek.co/2017/04/09/tesla-solar-panel-panasonic/

20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I had the chance to drive a Model 3 the other day, and I was really impressed. It feels like a small luxury car (as it should), as opposed to an expensive economy car (see: Bolt). It feels very light and nimble. However, the most remarkable thing, to me, is the HVAC system...

22. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

"Some dealers disagree.

Franchised dealers repair vehicles and advocate on behalf of consumers with their manufacturers, especially on warranty work and recalls. Franchised dealers are often called upon to advocate to on behalf of their customers. Consider the "lemon law" suit filed by physician Robert Montgomery in the state of Wisconsin. His $94,770 Tesla Model S was out of service for 66 days with a number of issues. His vehicle had to be taken to Chicago for repair because Tesla is not required to have on-site repair facilities. After three demands to Tesla to buy back his vehicle went unanswered, Montgomery's attorney, Vince Megna, stated he believes that the Tesla's restrictive sales agreement is designed to thwart lemon-law suits and that Tesla's policies make it tougher for dissatisfied customers take action because Tesla doesn't have to follow state rules."

http://www.syracuse.com/opinion/index.ssf/2018/03/syracuse_car_dealer_teslas_sales_model_is_bad_for_consumers_your_letters.html

F2003-GA likes this.
  23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  24. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Of course dealers disagree! Why wouldn't they.

All car manufacturers have various horror stories about cars being lemons or out of service for a long time. Read about the IMS bearing issues on Porsches, or any of a number of issues on BMWs and Mercedes... and let's not even start on Cadillac or Lincoln.

25. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross