Dino 308 GT4 1974 | FerrariChat

Dino 308 GT4 1974

Discussion in '308/328' started by expeatfarmer, Feb 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    I am in the process of recommissioning an early 308 that has been off the road for a number of years. I discovered that the boot floor pan and firewall were in a poor state and decided to fabricate replacements. Having removed all the rear suspension and fuel tanks I decided to remove the engine to enable me to carry out a thorough job on the engine bay and cabin firewall insulation.
    With the boot firewall removed access to the engine and exhaust is much improved, I am tempted to refit the firewall panel with sealant and tec screws so that it is removable for any future work , given that the original panel was spot welded in place would my plan have any significant effect on structural rigidity?

2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  3. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    They have little/no effect on structural rigidity, they form a barrier to protect the trunk (boot) contents. You have no doubt found that the multiple insulation layers retain moisture that leads to rust. A more modern insulation material may prove to be an improvement.

Good luck on your project, how about some photos.

prober34 likes this.
  4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    chassis number/ location/

5. WazzaT

WazzaT Karting

Oct 27, 2012
    australia
    Full Name:
    wazza t
  6. WazzaT

WazzaT Karting

Oct 27, 2012
    australia
    Full Name:
    wazza t
    Sorry, can't get the hang of the new system. Waz.

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    mine looked like that 10 months ago. What color is it going to be?

8. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    Thanks for the replies. I will try and upload some photos. My car is not quite as bad as robertgavens but not far off the more I dig around the more I find major issues are where replacement panels have been fitted over the top of rusted out originals I have spent days carefully cutting away all the old bits and refitting the new. Cleaning the foam underseal insulation off the cabin firewall was the worst part in the end I used a Fein multi tool with a broad blade and "shaved " it off like shearing a sheep. I have two pieces of the space frame to replace, 30 mm x 20mm box section that brace the frame and carry the silencer mountings. This size of box section is only available to special order, I discovered that the load bar of a Thule roof rack was exactly right and had two long lengths in the workshop all the time!

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Where are you located ?
    I did plenty of metal work including a new quarter panel last summer on my 75. I have a really great condition R side door left over for sale. And the old R side side quarter section that I removed that is smashed up and bondo but no rust. And I have a new old stock R side upper quarter panel from the door to trunk up to the roof. Mike

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Btw any panel pieces should be mad with the car present with who ever is making the panel. There are many differences in size car to car

11. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    Located near Carlisle up in Cumbria North West England.

12. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    I noticed that, panels that you would think should be mirror images left to right are mm different surely they did not custom build panels for each car?

13. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    Whereabouts would I find the build number ? ie 409 as in previous threads.

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes big differences in measurement try searching the chassis number not build number. Btw your steering wheel is on the wrong side

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Oh sorry build number in multi location. Headlight bracket ,behind the rear seat. On the small flanges on the doors that the interior panels screw to., The door hinge covers, the back of interior fiberglass and aluminum panels. There are more but can't remember right noe

16. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    Just working out how to load photos.

17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Another notorious area for rust is the rear valance and inner trunk floor wells. Also the very upper and lowest portion of the wheel well. And door bottoms which I'm sure you know

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Btw you are installing the arm bushings before painting them?

19. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    Yes spot welded where appropriate then masked off bushes before painting. Rear valance and floor wells have been replaced many years ago but over top of rusted out panels have cut them all out, cleaned up the replacement panels and refitted them properly. My car is 09646 built in 1974 but not sold until July 1975 by Maranello. I have replaced cam belts and tension rollers also water pump and thermostat, clutch was replaced 1000 miles ago. Is there anything else other than hoses that it would be prudent to change whilst the engine is out?

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    If you can pull and clean the tanks. but to be honest they are usually clean inside. All hoses, shiftshaft bushing always makes a big difference. also while its out I would do the cam drive bearing/seals. I believe the early ones like yours and mine are oiled from the engine but worth checking. . the other type I believe was a sealed bearing. I would change what ever seals you can while the engine is out, its so much easier. Mine is a jan or feb 1975 09966 Avorio

21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes that will work

22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Does the engine still have the original Sodium valves. Many threads here on this. They have been known to fail and cause major internal damage. I changed mine to Stainless while my engine was out

23. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Think about the valve shims as it’s easier when engine is out. Most of the Sodium valve problems over the years have mostly been USA, not seen any in the U.K. and have owned and been around multiple GT4’ for over 20yrs. But still worth considering changing, what’s the mileage

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yes I think the valve problem is partly from the air pump/ smog system