308 Antenna mast replacement suggestion | FerrariChat

308 Antenna mast replacement suggestion

Discussion in '308/328' started by SaratogaCA, Dec 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Hi folks:

I had my antenna up while driving (yes, yes, I know, big mistake ... after all, why even listen to the radio when you have that beautiful engine noise right behind you) and some low-hanging tree branches bent my antenna.

The motor works fine.

I noticed people are suggesting a Harada unit. But I do not need to replace the whole unit. I just want to replace the mast. There are numerous versions of masts available on Amazon. I was wondering if anyone an suggest a particular model that is a good fit?

Thanks,
    Sam in Saratoga

2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Do your homework, search the archives (yes, search here is terrible)
    Do a search on this site for "Internet Sound Solutions" before placing your order.

but here an old post of mine

3. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
  4. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Thanks. I looked at the product. This product includes the electric motor. But my motor works fine. I am hoping to replace only the mast.

I am thinking about just going to an auto parts store and picking up some masts off the shelf, and experimenting with them until one fits reasonably well.

5. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    For $37 you buy this one and keep the old one on the shelf...

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Curious as to why you're trying to keep the motor, when replacing the full unit is only $38?

7. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I suspect the motor is OEM. But not sure, I am in So. Cal. right now, and the car is in Nor. Cal.

Will check when I get back.

8. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    BTW, guess I should have mentioned that replacing just the mast, might not be doable. They have weird springs in it and you have to role it up "just right". Also, my motor has a nice leather sack with snaps around it that came from the factory, so you never see the actual motor. Get the $38 one for the time being and if you're able to figure out how to fix yours, you can use that mast...I think they sell that exact one at OReilly.

9. Back'n'Black

Back'n'Black Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Sam, the aerial can be replaced while leaving the original motor in place. If you check with a reputable body shop, they might be able to source a new aerial portion.... and even install it for you.

If you find the correct part that you need, you'll see that there is what almost resembles a long Zip-Tie coming out of the new assembly. Flip the aerial switch to "on" and while the motor is rolling, pull the old broken part out.

It's the reverse to install the new part. Flip the switch to "lower" the aerial and feed the Zip-Tie piece down in the hole until the motor catches it and pulls it into place. Tighten up the nut, and there you have it. Easy, breezy.

This whole process will require a "Switch Flipper"......a highly trusted colleague to obey your every order of "Turn the switch on/off".

This is how we used to do it back in the 80's and 90's. I doubt the technology has changed much. But then again, the Italians might have had their own way of doing things. Good luck.

Just my 2 cents.....

Matt

10. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Following discussion with interest, as my US-spec '85 QV has the same issue... working switch/motor but aerial no longer rises. Also the grommet if you will at the base of my aerial is cracked away. It's a nice motor, and it is the original unit, and like SaratogaCA would love to find a new mast that is compatible. I do not know what motor is in SaratogaCA's 308, but mine has says "Bosch, Made in Germany, autojet 12V" on the motor case which is a very nice bright blue plastic case with a snap at the top that locks it closed. I can't see a serial number on it, but it looks like something Bosch made a million of, so wonder if anyone with this same Bosch motor have found a replacement mast that fits. Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. lem321

lem321 Karting

Mar 7, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Wilson Lem
    Hi Sam,
    I noticed you have a 1983 QV same as I do. My antenna is a Hirschmann Model "Hit Auta 8600S" that was original on the car. Years ago, I replaced the chrome mast with a black one (Hirschmann) thinking it would look cooler. The black mast broke and I put back the original chrome one. I'm fairly sure, if yours is a Hirschmann, this replacement mast would work. Pull out your old mast and look at the termination of the white plastic wind-up cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antenna-Mast-Hirschmann-fits-1982-1992-Volkswagen-Jetta-Golf-Quantum/192331070008?epid=695276236&hash=item2cc7d33a38:g:KVQAAOSwvjdZSNVV&vxp=mtr

from SanFranciscoCA

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Actually, mine said "Hirschmann" on it as well! See pix. (Pix were taken with a mirror, so the alphabet is in reverse.)

So if mine is a Hirschamann, does that mean it is factory original? My understanding was that the OEM said "Bosch."

The eBay item looks like it would fit. Why? The chord on the eBay item has no teeth. All the masts I've seen on Amazon have chords with teeth. When I pulled out the mast on my Hirschmann, the chord had no teeth.

So ... another question: When you replaced the antenna mast, since the chord had no teeth, how did you get the chord to engage with the spindle inside the motor unit?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. lem321

lem321 Karting

Mar 7, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Wilson Lem
    I don't recall exactly but very likely I took the whole antenna assembly out of the car and opened up the case to see where the metal tip of the plastic cable attached. I'm not sure if you could do it by just "stuffing" the metal tip end into the antenna while it's still in the car. I've replaced a number broken/ bent mast in my Volvo, Lexus cars. These cables generally had teeth on them so you could just stuff it while an assistant was lowering the mast inside the car. I guess it's worth a try to see if the "stuff" method might work. I'm fairly certain the Hirschmann antenna was the original one in my '83 QV.

14. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs

15. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I just think we pay a good chunk of change for a car that is basically a toy, and not really a means of transportation.

One of the things that makes these toys so deliciously desirable is the wonderful sound of the Italian V8, revving right behind your ears. Music from the radio will be there when you are stuck in commute traffic in your vanilla-flavored daily driver.

Yup. The only issue is, I am not sure it makes sense to shell out $40 for a mast when I can pick up the whole kit-n-caboodle for $45. Maybe I will spend some time on Amazon and look for an antenna mast with chord that has no teeth.

Your explanation regarding attaching the metal tip of the cable makes sense.

16. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
  17. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    for $38 I would change the whole unit. It's a no brainer.

18. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.

I really want to keep the OEM Hirschmann unit. I think I will get a mast with a smooth chord, and find a way to make it engage into the Hirschmann.

19. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Well, what are you waiting for? You can lead a horse to water, but you can make him drink. Good Luck!

20. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I had a bigger fish, which I successfully fried last week. The fuel pump was weak, resulting in one burnt fuse, and thrice the car not starting.

Once the fuel pump was replaced, the car starts instantly upon turning the ignition. I also seems to perform better, because the engine is no longer fuel starved.

I just ordered the antenna mast today. Will keep everyone posted.

21. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    OK, a status update for those of you who are wondering about power antennae and their mast.

My power antenna motor unit is a Hirschmann, which I think is OEM. It seems like all power antenna use a nylon chord. In most units, the chord has teeth. In mine, the chord was smooth. So I found a replacement mast with a smooth chord.

First thing you should know: There is no guarantee that one mast will be interchangeable with another. You can't necessarily replace one smooth-chord mast with another. The masts have a hidden sleeve and bearings, and the location of the threading on these things can differ.

Second thing you should know: The YouTube videos, and even the written instructions tell you to remove the old mast by pulling on it while your helper extracts the antenna from inside the car. But I could not do this. So we opened up the Hirschmann unit, and we saw that the end of the nylon chord was attached to the motor by a cotter pin. I guess the toothed nylon chords engage the wheel by friction, but the smooth chords are attached somehow.

Anyway, in my case, after spending about 3-4 hours on the project, we realized that the mast we bought was not a suitable replacement.

NoGoSlow likes this.
  22. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Excellent! Glad you didn't just buy the one for $40 that looks and operates exactly as OEM...Hehehehe :)

23. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just a note to close-out my post #11 about my non-working '85 QV Bosch Autojet antenna. I looked at some of the modern replacements, but didn't like they way they looked plus they'd require wiring work because they all extend when the radio is turned on (not by separate switch). So I tried to fix mine. Turns out it only needed a good cleaning and lube (silicone spray for the mast and coil, silicone grease for the gears). That's all it was. And if my coil ever breaks, it looks like something that can be replaced while keeping my mast. The coil is a simple round and smooth line (not toothed). Hope this Autojet goes another 30 years!

oelboxer likes this.