1999 550 steeing column surround | FerrariChat

1999 550 steeing column surround

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by hogbreth, Oct 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hogbreth

hogbreth Karting

Oct 23, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Bennett
    I need to refinish the plastic parts in the cockpit. I removed the switches, A/C ducts and A/C panel and knobs all to be sent to Sticky no more. I want to remove the the black plastic housing that surrounds the Steering Column to send it off also. Do I have to remove the steering wheel or do the 2 halves come apart?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #2 tazandjan, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    John- It is two pieces with the fasteners at the bottom according to the parts catalog drawing. You might try and see if lowering the wheel to its lowest position might allow both to be removed. Otherwise you may need to drop the steering column slightly.

Any pros who have done this a million times want to give some real advice?

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. hogbreth

hogbreth Karting

Oct 23, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Bennett
    Thanks Terry for your help.
    John

4. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    In my effort to remove a few interior parts to address their sticky finish, I saw this thread when I searched for steering surround removal. I have loosened the 5 screws (2 long and 3 short) and removed the upper part (#37) in the picture above, but have not been able to remove the lower part (#53). Seems like it is stuck in the front of the piece. Are there any other hidden fasteners that need to be removed or a special way of prying the lower part out?
    TIA

5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There are 6 screws, four nearest the driver, 2 more towards the front of the car.

Of the four nearest the driver 2 hold the upper shroud and 2 hold the lower shroud to the column

6. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks Dave. The 6th screw (upper left in the attached picture) was obscured by the steering adjustment handle. Once removed, the lower part came right off. Here is a picture with with locations of the 4 short screws (in rosso corsa) and the 2 long ones (in giallo modena).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

285ferrari likes this.