488 - 488 Pista Picture Thread | Page 9 | FerrariChat

488 488 Pista Picture Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by -CD-, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #201 4th_gear, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    I like the Pista too and I am not commenting to criticize, just to add a perspective on these elements of Speciale's design, that they're not just for show.

I think the 2 winglets may be designed to create a bit of low pressure area around the opening of the rear wheel wells. This would tend to suck air out of the wheel arches, reducing air pressure and air resistance inside the wheel arches. Any time you "pinch air" with a foil, you accelerate it - that's what the smooth undertrays and horizontal foils of the rear diffusers do.

Similarly with the air ducts on the outside flanks of the front spoiler, the channeled air is squeezed through the passage so it may be slightly accelerated in velocity compared to air the is slipping around the outside of the foil. This may again cause a bit of lower pressure outside the wheel wells just like the winglets and the effect would then pull air out, help reduce air pressure inside the wheel arches, reduce air resistance to the spinning of the wheels.

kussetimii and OneD like this.
  2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Love the hood of the Speciale. It’s my favorite part of the car. I’m still getting used the Pista hood. I really wish they bisected it, similar to the the Speciale, F50, etc.

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have driven the 488 plenty on track. It is not soft or in any way unacceptable, given that all the cars mentioned are roadcars not dedicated track cars. I’m not suggesting the 488 is better on track than a Performante - I have never driven one, and going by the press reviews and those on here whose opinions would seem trustworthy to me from their other posts, I can take a guess that it is great and more track-focused than the 488. Simply that the 488 itself is not a disappointment on track. I have also driven on track the 458 Italia, Speciale, F12 plus other cars like lotuses, Subarus etc. as well as the 458 challenge, so I have a reasonable comparison.

Sorry to hear exoticCD’s bad experience with a 488 but that must be an outlier because there are many here who own or have owned a 488 without such a bad experience. This is not a case of having to ‘recalibrate your expectations’, I have high expectations, and Ferrari is not only the brand but the overall ownership experience that delivers best. I have owned a McLaren and it is not a close-run thing. Admittedly FNA and FNE seem to operate somewhat differently but I can only comment as I find and the Ferrari experience is top-drawer.

Getting back to what this thread is supposed to be about, that Rosso Dino Ferrari has me thinking a bit. I have shied away from RD before since I have, probably correctly, assumed that resale would be an issue. Once at the factory, I was doing an Atelier order and an Atelier-suggested colour for TDF (which I was not there to spec) was Rosso Dino. I saw a couple on the line and they looked nothing short of spectacular. Some cars really just suit that colour.

Bhh and JagShergill like this.
  4. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    I could not be happier that I own a 2015 458 Spider. I don't need to feel I have the latest and greatest for speed/performance. The 458 is just one of the most beautiful cars ever made by Ferrari. It's essentially an updated Enzo. The 488 side scoop is disappointing (I prefer the 355 and La Ferrai style air intakes). Now the Pista is the nail in the coffin - all the grace is gone. Seriously, look at that front, Lambo-style front bumper. It looks like it's ready to plow snow. I understand that this is for those who want to be on the track. But it doesn't make sense to me to buy this for the beauty of a Ferrari. Of course, JMHO.

See these quick comparison shots I took of 458 and Enzo. You can see the evolution of the design.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper, OneD and Camlet1 like this.
  5. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK

Great shots. Small piece of trivia, the gorgeous and distinctive upwards curve on the Enzo's window is very similar to the F50's window, and the tdf gently uses it too.

JagShergill likes this.
  6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I could have wrote this myself except I don't own a 458 (yet). Never really saw any comparison from Enzo to 458 but a see it a little now that you mention it.

nkhalid likes this.
  7. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Thanks. I will retire to bed tonight not thinking of the Pista's spec but of Frankie Howerd instead hahaha

JagShergill and of2worlds like this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Well, I certainly agree that the 458 and the Enzo are two amazing cars, although I see little if any common design elements that they share.

9. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Someone has done unprompted a render on Insta based on my 458S and I must admit it's extremely tempting to stick. That said I've something rolling around my head which would be altogether more aggressive reflecting the Pista's (anticipated) personality.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    No, you’re comparing a spider to an Enzo?! I don’t think so. Both cars use Ferrari’s general principles for clothing a mid engined car but the design language otherwise is quite different - very apparent when you compare coupe with coupe.

11. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Guys I'm lost among the threads, I can't find the hi-res group of pictures taken from the dealer configurator under different angles

Can someone help the frog ?

12. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #212 Napoli, Feb 24, 2018

The 488 side scoop is the coolest thing anyone has ever done to the body of a car. From every angle, the lines and shapes of the scoop, and the way they integrate into the flowing lines and shapes of the car’s body, is pure artistic and functional design genius. Thank you, Michelangelo!

Can stare at this all day.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #214 Shadowfax, Feb 24, 2018
    Most journos who have driven the two rate the 488 the superior overall driving experience (inc visually, the power deliver, sound etc ).

Comparing a faulty car (your 488) with a fully functioning car (the 570) is not the best way of making a fair assessment IHMO.
    My track experience with 570, left me underwhelmed (for a few reasons) even though the car went relatively well - fast. Both cars I drove, 488 and 570 were also fully functioning (no faults with brakes etc) - although by the end of the day the 570 felt flogged and showed clear signs of premature wear and tear. The 488 otoh was in perfect shape....took the beatings well! 488 also sounded way better than 570 - all agreed how bland and laggy 570 felt in comparison... Anyway...back to Pista!

14. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    I'm very interested what brake problems you had with your 488 "nearly killing you", iow how they failed, and how much time was spent in the shop fixing them. I had a bad experience as well with my new 1500 mile 488.

of2worlds likes this.
  15. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    What was your experience?

16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Very excited to hear more about the Carbon rims. Interested to know how they were engineered and about what strategy was employed to help them survive heat from braking.

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you visit the site of the largest OEM manufacturer of carbon wheels they show the inside of the wheel and the backside of the center coated in a ceramic insulator to protect the carbon from the heat of the brakes. These are definitely a hand made item from the looks of it. It is unknown if they will be the supplier. Either way you need to protect the resin in the carbon from degrading with the local extreme heat cycles over time.

18. cpd1

cpd1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    C
    Sounds like it will be painful experience if damaged. Can't imagine these to play nice with the pot holes ridden roads around here. Then again on my road bike they work well at slightly lower speeds...
    Interesting MT article on the Porsche ones.
    At this point, I am sticking with standard wheels but let's hear more details about them

19. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  20. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    #221 TSOYBELIS, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #222 REALZEUS, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Ωραίες φωτογραφίες Σπύρο! :)

That's in greek for my mate TSOYBELIS and it means "nice pictures Spiros".

of2worlds and TSOYBELIS like this.
  22. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    Ευχαριστώ πολύ φίλε μου!!! Τhank you my friend!!!

of2worlds and REALZEUS like this.
  23. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    dcmetro and of2worlds like this.
  24. 330i

330i Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
    Do we know if they are exposed CF or painted?