308 gt4 questions | FerrariChat

308 gt4 questions

Discussion in '308/328' started by JLF, Feb 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Hi guys. I have been lusting over 308gt4s for the last 2 weeks. Watching videos and reading up about them. I have always loved these cars since I was a kid. I am a huge Porsche guy and have been saving for a nice 964 hopefully in the next 6 months to a year, which would be my 7th Porsche. I have a gorgeous 968 which I bought to just hold me off till I could afford a nice 911 but that car just really isn’t doing it for me.
    So now I’m wondering if it would be the right time to finally scratch that Ferrari itch. I’m thinking maybe buy a gt4 and play with it for a year or so then get a 964 after that.
    I do all of my own maintenance and have removed engines in 911s and stuff like that so I can handle most stuff. And I love taking diamonds in the rough and trying to make them as like new as possible.

I have a few questions if you don’t mind.

Is there a particular model year that is best?

I noticed euro cars have very elegant bumpers. I’m seeing North American cars with perhaps 2 different kinds of bumpers? Some look literally like someone bolted a 2 by 4 on each end and painted it black others seems smaller and closer to the body.

What are maintenance costs like for a home mechanic?

What are the big things to lookout for in a ppi?

Anyone in Dallas that owns one that I could look at and maybe get a ride in? I don’t think I’ve seen one in person since the late 80s.

Could I get a nice driver for high $40s to low 50s? Good mechanically with no rust that may need some cosmetic tlc?

Thanks so much
    Jerry

2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    #2 2dinos, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    I love the GT4. I just celebrated 32 years of ownership by taking her out for a spin. What a great car!! To really enjoy it you must have it sorted out. If you like making diamonds out of your cars, the GT4 will reward you with great reliability, fantastic handling, unmatched sound, and the looks and feel that can't be put into words. I can't speak to the $ numbers. I've heard others here say to buy the nicest car you can afford - I guess that make pretty good sense. I wouldn't be scared of miles, neglect is a bigger issue. Fresh fluids keep the machinery happy. Change e v e r y hose! The tougher to change, the more important as these most likely get neglected. The long (14') heater hose from the right cylinder head, the charcoal canister AND vapor valve hoses etc etc. Generally, interior, is the least expensive to make nice. Clutches are about the same as other euro cars. Brakes too. Transaxles, and engines are pretty steep. But if you're playing with P-cars you're in the ball park give or take.

Happy hunting!

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Did you already check the buyers guide at the top ? From there you could usefully spend time looking at the areas covered in the useful technical threads near the top and then looking up relevant previous answers in this section to cover almost everything else

4. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’ve had my ‘74 Dino for 2 1/2 years and absolutely love it; far more than I expected to. We took it to Spain and back last September and it didn’t miss a beat. I personally prefer the series 1 cars as the front is cleaner and uncluttered by the full width grill.
    Maintenance is pretty easy and straightforward if you have a modicum of ability. Parts are generally readily available and sensibly priced for the most part.
    I agree with the suggestion to buy the best car you can afford.

Paul

Albert-LP likes this.
  5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I think your budget is fair for a driver quality US car that maybe has a few detail items to fix. A Euro equivalent may run a bit more but have not seen any for sale in some time. Check the history of sales on BringATrailer and eBay for comparables.

6. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    its a great place to start for something other than a p-car - raw, carbs, smells and sounds! If you shop right your numbers are pretty realistic. I think porsche (at least 911) are easier to work on. Everything seems so much more utilitarian at least from what I've seen in a bunch of build videos on youtube. The GT4 engine can be difficult to get at certain places and much more of a chore to pull than the 911. It seems like you know what you're doing with a metric wrench so I would say go for it... You would have help here.

You are used to the porsche tax on parts (we invented it...) - sometimes the silliest little things. Expect less aftermarket support. We just don't have the same volume that supports a major cottage industry, or now larger... There are a couple good vendors for used and aftermarket parts. You would be pretty covered.

Good Luck!!!

7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thank you for the responses. I will check buyers guide. I stopped by a Ferrari maintenance shop just down the street from my house in Dallas and spoke to the owner. He had high praise for the car. I would have some help with carburetors because I know nothing about them. I’ve pretty much made up my mind so now I have to get this 968 sold then start looking.

8. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    I've attached a document I found online (credit to the author is on the document) that really helped me understand the differences in GT4s out there. I would assume that if you find a US car with the big plank bumpers they could easily be changed to the more flush US bumpers - likely a correct term for each - or possibly depending on state regulations to euro bumpers. The attached doc has some comments about the change in US bumpers.

Not knowing what your emissions rules are, in California the 1974-1975 cars are viewed by some as appealing since they are exempt from smog rules - thus an early car may have better resale value in CA that others (I speculate). Also, 1974 and early 1975 cars may still retain Dino badging. Buyers will have different preferences, but for me when I did my research I concluded I wanted a 74-75 (early) Dino badged, smog exempt vehicle that appeared to be mechanically maintained and sound. I find the uniqueness of the Dino badging appealing and truer to the roots of the car.

According to the attached Series II cars weigh 600 pounds more also - I can't verify - but if accurate implies slower performance. I've seen stats somewhere that only 600 or so GT4s were ever imported into the US, and of these somewhere I read less than 150 were pre-7/1/75 (Dino badged). Just something to think about.

Attached Files:

9. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    As all they guys have said before, if you fairly hand then it’s an easy car to work on . Nothing is very technical and they are fairly bullet proof if bought wisely. State side cars suffered from sodium valve issues, usual bodywork rot teal wasn’t very good. Suspension easy to repair.
    It’s a different car to drive than a Porsche, gt4 are very old school and analogue with heavy steering at slow speeds and you need a strong arms to park up and also a strong right leg for the clutch. But once it’s on song a very rewarding car. Better? Different yes than the Porsche as I have had 2 911’s in same period of ownership over 25 yrs now. When I had a messy split with the ex it was the Porsche that went to pay her off. Though I have a996 Porsche now and this is s great all round car, quicker yes but not as involved a drive as the old gt4. Even modern Ferrari’s are boring to the old cars. They are also rare now, early one in US had the more power I believe

10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks you guys, I appreciate it!