‘96 F355 Nero paint | FerrariChat

‘96 F355 Nero paint

Discussion in '348/355' started by RedlineG60, Feb 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Hello all,

I’m doing a multi-step paint correction on a Nero F355 Spider at the moment. I was curious if anybody knew when they changed over from single stage paint to paint + clear.

I took readings of the car with my paint depth gauge and it was very consistent throughout the car except for the hood. It had definitely been resprayed.

But due to the material of the front bumper, bottom door pieces, and the rear bumper I was not able to get a reading on my gauge.

So, all that (lol) to say the only thing I experienced any paint transfer on was the front bumper. That’s why I am curious.

2. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I think that you can tell by the paint code sticker under the engine lid. If PPG, it's dual stage, Glasurit is single stage. I think the switchover on the 355s happened around 1998 or so. My parents' early '97 Spider is single stage.

I'm definitely not an expert, though - I'll let others chime in here.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    My 98 is has a single stage front clip and the rest of the car is base / clear. It's all supposed to be base clear - so why is it not? I suspect it was painted at the port which many are. Looking at it, you would never, ever know. I found out during the paint correction when I got black on the pad. When I metered it, the front clip is thicker. Without a doubt, after extreme inspection - the car has never been hit. So, why they painted the entire front clip is beyond me. I also cannot find any tape lines so they took it apart to do it and they sure did it right. The peel matches perfectly too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

steved033 likes this.
  4. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Strange. It says it’s Glasurit but like I mentioned before the only bleed I got was from the front bumper. Thanks for the responses.

97 Spider likes this.
  5. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Is it just straight Nero or is it a metallic variant? The Glasurit metallics and pearls were base coat / clear coat.

6. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
  7. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
  8. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    If

9. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco

10. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    The solid colors were single stage and metallics were clear coated

11. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Exactly, if its ppg they cleared all colors , if it's glasurit single stage on solid and clear on metallics