New bottles of Leatherique HORRIBLE. New formula???? | FerrariChat

New bottles of Leatherique HORRIBLE. New formula????

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by tubeguy, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    Hi folks

I'm in a pickle here. I've used Leatherique Rejuvinator on my Ferrari's as well as my leather sofa with great results. I had quite a bit in stock, and just ran out and bought a few more bottles.

The old formula was rather thin and could be applied easily and rubbed in by hand. Afetr I applied it, I would wash my hands and they felt so soft it was amazing.

The new formula is thick like that leather honey and other brands. Even thicker. I applied it to my sofa and love seat and while some of it absorbed, it left a friggin sticky mess. I left it for a couple weeks and said hell I need to wipe of the residue and it took the color off my leather!!!! Remember, I've used the old stuff before many times. No problem.

I wrote Leatherique and they say that it can vary slightly from batch to batch. But this is NOTHING like the old stuff. Doesn't feel or smell the same. I call bullsh*t.

I'm looking to see if anyone has made a recent purchase.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Maybe these products have a shelf life and yours has gone rancid? Most oils will oxidize or otherwise degrade over time.

3. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    It's a fresh bottle I bought from a big vendor

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I love their product but the company has by far the worst customer service on the planet..

Veedub00 likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    maybe they don't put whale sperm in it anymore?

theunissenguido and absostone like this.
  6. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    My biggest question is if anyone has bought recently and if your purchase was thick like honey or more like milk or cream. My old purchase was not thick.

I question this whole thing with them as the company seems to be like a dude in a garage or something. If their product varies so much and they don't act like a real business how good is it? It's like that other guy here who's dash went from glossy black to faded after using their stuff. At least Lexol has real chemists I suspect.

7. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    I usually dilute it (thinner version) with warm water and apply it to my leather furniture using a spray bottle. I’m almost out and have to restock soon.
    Perhaps you are actually receiving more of the “good stuff” with this latest purchase, providing you can find the optimal dilution ratio...

8. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    You can add that.

9. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I just bought and used some. It was somewhat thick, thicker than motor oil, definitely not like honey. It certainly became sticky/gooey after being on for a day, but this has been my experience in the past as well.
    Did I read your post right? You left it on for a couple of weeks? Maybe that is why it lifted the dye.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    readplays likes this.
  11. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I've ordered some touch up dye and was mortified. Not only did it not match, it was glossy. All I ever got from them as a solution was pour the contents and stir which did not work. Never answered the calls with numerous e-mails after spending close to 100.00 for 8 oz. of crap. Took the car to Ferrari,beautiful match. No more product will be ordered in the future as something has happened with product and service.!
    Your leather chair look terrible!

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Aren’t Leatherique in the USA different than Leatherique in the UK?

Matt

13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I just received new Leatherique yesterday from Autogeeks. It does not have the thick "Whale Sperm" consistency that you speak of. More of a milk/cream or motor oil look to it.

14. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i love their products but the last bottle i got was not that great. they matched the paint on my porsche to repaint bolster wear and it wasn't even close in color or sheen. and they didn't include instructions. very disappointed

docf likes this.
  15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If that big vender was Amazon, it might be old stock. I love Amazon, but they do not police their sellers well in my experience. I've had a few examples of receiving old stock on items from Amazon.

elbro likes this.
  16. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I got touch up dye from them a few months ago. Gave them the color code, they said no problem....it was grey not beige. There response was "send us a sample". :(

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Anyone?

Matt

18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My Leatherique products are all several years old. Alarmed that I may not be able to replace them with similar new. Best stuff ever.

19. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Matt - I don't believe so. I believe the only company is USA based.

20. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Maybe you are thinking of Gliptone? I bought Gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner from the US and the UK. The UK bottles were nicer and it cost a lot more, but I couldn't tell a difference to the US product.

I've not heard anything about the UK Leatherique product being different, here is the listing on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leatherique-Rejuvenator-Oil-Restoration-Products/dp/B0002SPCAI#customerReviews

It is not a chronic problem with Leatherique, first time I've seen anybody mention it. I wouldn't overthink it, you probably got a bad bottle and I would just return it to the place you bought it from and buy from somewhere else and it's unlikely you will have a problem. As I said previously, if you bought it on Amazon, it's likely old stock (it is not unusual to receive old stock merchandise from Amazon).

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I was thinking about Gliptone. They make excellent products.

“The smell is appreciating.”

Matt

22. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Gliptone is a great stuff. It is well-known and a premium product in the UK -- for a while they sold it in the US for very cheap prices (now it seems like prices are more equalized between markets). Supposedly they shipped concentrate to the US and then they mixed it into the US version, but honestly I didn't see any difference between either version (maybe that was the excuse they used to sell it at low cost in the US back then).

Gliptone is the only product I've seen where the conditioner doesn't require any (or at least very little) wipe up with a cloth after. I don't know if that's because it actually wicks into the leather (which would be amazing), or if it just evaporates.

23. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If you are worried about getting another bad bottle, there is a product called "Color Plus Soffener" that is very similar to Leatherique. In my experience, the Color Plus Soffener works better then Leatherique, but Leatherique is also fine (at least the normal version of it is). I think Color Plus Suflex dyes are better than Leatherique dyes also.

My guess is that the Leatherique bottle you have is old stock or, more likely, was stored improperly before it got to you. The reason I say that is I've had old bottles of leatherique on the shelf or 10 years or more and have never seen it degrade or thicken. I suspect maybe it was left in a hot truck or a hot warehouse for an extended period of time. Either way, it's very likely an anomoly. I would go back to the seller -- I think they have some splainin' to do.

24. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I've used Gliptone for a lot of years on numerous Jaguars and now our 360. It's great stuff in my experience. It certainly absorbs into the leather and leaves almost no residue, along with a matte finish. The aroma is great - smells just like my new XKE of years ago. Also same aroma as Rolls Royce as the same tanner did the leather for both cars. I buy mine from Amazon and detect no difference in the product.

25. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I totally agree with you on this one. I screwed with my order for over 6 weeks with them.