Hope the "new Magnum PI" drives a Ferrari at least | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hope the "new Magnum PI" drives a Ferrari at least

Discussion in '308/328' started by 328PWC, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yeah, I can only think of ONE other actor that could possibly pull off the magnum character. The guy in the lead role of “Quigley down under”,name escapes me at the moment..

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Alan Rickman?

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    No, the one who gets the girl at the end. The tall guy.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    To be honest, I think a new Tesla roadster would be more in line with the times. Anyway, Like the new 5-O and MacGyver, I won't be tuning in.

5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yeah, I remember watching About 20 minutes of two episodes of the new Hawaii 5-0 A few years ago. Thought it was ridiculously stupid. Don’t expect the new Magnum PI to be any different.

6. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wonder if Porsche tries to get some payback for missing the boat in the 80s !?

7. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    First of all, in its time, that Ferrari literally was considered a co-star. Without the exotic awesomeness, in an era where people had to buy a poster or look up “Ferrari” in the World Book Encyclopedia in order to see one, the scales would have tipped so campy that the show wouldn’t have lasted two seasons. Magnum’s character was written as a war hero, and of course women (my wife included) found Selleck manly and handsome, BUT he acted the role with an almost impish/nerdy “nice guy” demeanor. Without the badassery of the Ferrari, he wouldn’t have been nearly as cool.

Sooo, assuming Eva Longoria is still executive producing, we’ve now got: “The pilot will be set in Hawaii, with CBS remake king Peter Lenkov (Hawaii Five-0, MacGyver) writing.” Anyone here think either of those shows by the King are well-scripted or particularly memorable? I’m waiting for Higgins to be cast as a lesbian Inuit midget.

NoGoSlow likes this.
  8. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
  9. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    And the reverse 180 move...

10. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    One episode of The Rockford Files had a 'little red racer' driven by a female character. Didn't get a great look at it, but I think it was a 250LM.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Young folks couldn't care less about Ferraris. If the producers what even a slim chance of success with the people that matter...which generally ain't us...Magnum will be driving a Prius, or a Tesla or, better still, riding a bike. He will also be living at home with his parents! ;)

12. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Stu, a Miata? Hehehehe...

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The most coincidental Rockford episode had Selleck playing Lance Whites private investigator character visiting Larry Manetti in a hospital. He was in room 357.

Craziest thing I have ever seen on TV

14. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I didn’t really do TV in the 80’s so although I’d seen a rerun or two over the years I never watched Magnum PI until it was on Netflix a couple of summers ago and I binge watched all eight seasons over about three months.

I watched a few episodes of the Hawaii Five-O remake but only because Boomer from Battlestar Galactica was in it.

15. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    This is not true at all. Young kids are very interested in Ferraris. I know this because it is not uncommon at all for me to be driving my 328 and see young kids videoing me and giving me thumbs up. This summer I was at a friends house and a bunch of kids were there all chomping at the bit to ride in my 29 year old car. All came back with HUGE smiles on their faces. ( people with come Ray.....people will most definitely come )

16. cabbott2

cabbott2 Karting

Oct 27, 2014
    chicago/ Iowa
    I was really hoping for a "continuation" where Selleck's Magnum in essence took over Higgins role, and ended up having to babysit someone who was like his former self. Could create some entertaining stuff.

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I get plenty of the video/picture takers/thumbs uppers but I'm referring to people who would eventually ever BUY a Ferrari - people who would keep the market going in 10-15+ years. Sure, there will alway be collectors but that's not really much of a market for the future and they will be looking for the 3x8 with 600 miles or whatever... ;)

I'm basing my comment on regular association with my two nieces - 24/26 - they and any of their friends I have met (and I've met quite a few when they were in college and now - both men and women). None of them are even remotely interested. The younger niece WAS interested a few years ago, thinking the Ferrari was really cool but she, as she puts it, outgrew it and is now firmly in the camp of walking, bicycles, subway or, if absolutely necessary, uber for transportation. A few years back she was ecstatic when I told her that if she learned to drive a manual, I'd let her drive the 328. She never learned so last year I offered to teach her to drive it as in, "Get in, you can learn to drive a manual in a FERRARI!" She was not interested. The older niece is in the financial industry and doing quite well...she lives at home. A good friend's 32 year old son with a PHD in marine biology lives at home and, when he HAS to drive, drives his dad's car.

OTOH, these are east coast examples and maybe they are the minority. I hope so! :)

18. Palladin

Palladin Rookie

Sep 25, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Well if it does have a Ferrari in it. I expect it would be a spyder and in that case I would expect the new Magnum to be jumping in without opening the door. I always wondered how much time he saved doing that??

19. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S

if HE still doesn't have the 308 or AT LEAST 328 I'm not watching lol:cool:

20. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    +1 and as TV shows today are all 'fake' reality garbage I'll tune in & watch with a grin on my face and my post above still sticks as to whether or not i'll watch another episode ;)

21. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree, even just on occasion, driving the car (308/328) after a days work, will be really nice to bring back memories of the original show...

22. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    Selleck turned down a cameo in the series. Not interested. If you're over 37 this show is not aimed at you. Of course the younger set won't buy Ferrari's; neither did most of us when we watched Magnum but we could "own" it vicariously through the magic of TV. Unfortunately, I think this show will probably be lacking a lot of the energy of the original. That was lighting in a bottle. Same as the original NCIS. When DiNozzo left the show lost a lot of the character and humor. The current iteration is ok but just not the same. As for me, if no Ferrari then I'm not even going to try it out.

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If that is one of them, someone recovered the seats (differently)

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's not the Peterson car