Storage of 360 - is a garage a must? | FerrariChat

Storage of 360 - is a garage a must?

Discussion in '360/430' started by SKOOPS_UK, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SKOOPS_UK

SKOOPS_UK Karting

Feb 6, 2004
    Im taking delivery of new 360 in August here in UK. (The blue Pozzi, crema leather one). I dont currently have a garage but do have a drive. Should ferraris always be kept in a garage when not being driven? or would a car cover suffice? Its generally cool and damp where i live (North Scotland) with seagulls being a real nuisance! Im i mad to buy a ferrari without a garage?

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    In a word, Yes!! You may get away with not having a garage in rural Scotland but for piece of mind, i would feel better knowing the car is secure at night or when no one's at home.
    Tony

3. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Yes,and Tony even in rural Scotland I would not be without one!
    Dave McGuire

4. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have to agree that a garage is a must.

If you do decide to go without one maybe you should consider something more than a cover such as the outdoor carcoon - www.carcoon.co.uk

I don't know much about them but there are others here who use the indoor version.

5. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Don't forget, bird droppings can discolour your car. LOL

You must rent a garage.

6. SKOOPS_UK

SKOOPS_UK Karting

Feb 6, 2004
    i forsee a house move coming on!

7. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You are not wrong. I moved house last year before getting the car.

My girlfriend says we bought a garage that happened to come with a house. You have to get your priorities right!

8. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    There must be a garage, for security reasons as well as protecting the finishes, at least look into some form of a utility shed for the drive.

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I've parked my TR on 125th street. I've left F cars in the snow. I've left them in the rain. I've driven them on muddy back roads. Wash them off, spray WD40 over everything, they'll be fine. They're cars. Sometimes you don't have everything you need at the same time. (Garage/360) Is that a reason not to get one? No.

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I have worked at BMW, Porsche and Mercedes-Benz dealerships for 15 of my last 16 years......we left multiple millions of dollars of inventory outside year round.....without security......manufacturer's leave it outside at the factory, shippers leave it outside at the docks......and your dealer probably will when you service it as well.

I guess it depends on your neighborhood, climate and comfort level regarding security....but it's not the end of the world as far as I am concerned. I always left my 911's and 928's outside as I never had a house with a garage.......I commonly parked on the street as well. Never had a car damaged......and that includes some pretty pricey demo's I used to get as drivers.

11. JOHN328

JOHN328 Karting

Jan 2, 2003
    SAN FRANCISCO BAY AR
    Full Name:
    JOHN STRIEGEL
    I live in SF Bay area. I have a carport and use a good quailty car cover, no problem. But I would not leave it out day in day out in the open. A car cover in the rain is not a good thing.

Just a thought

12. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I even keep my Porsche 924 GT conversion in a rented garage. It's just worth it, so I would guess yours is worth it too.

13. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    I guess it depends where in Scotland you are, and how visible the car would be to passers-by..

If you're on a main road, with it on view to everyone, then it's a tricky thing, I'd seriously consider a non-Ferrari looking car cover.

Thing is, you could have it garaged, under lock and key, and as soon as you drive it somewhere and park up, it can be stolen.. (unless all your journeys are non-stop round-trips from your home !)

14. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    #14 cinquevalvole, Mar 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    * halfseriousmodeon: *
    Without a dry garage you are mad or a relative of this destroyer:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5744&page=2&pp=20
    This is not allowed on a rare blue pozzi 360!
    Feel free to damage your car on the race-track but don't let the birds optimize their take-off weight on the blue pozzi car!
    BTW: We always need pics of new cars! Have a good season on the F!

forza

cinquevalvole
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I'm not convinced that a garage is a must yet.

I'm thinking of getting a 360 spider this summer, and during the winter it would be kept in safe parking lot, out of view, under a weatherproof car cover (Griot's Garage Weathershield) in one of the safest family-oriented suburbs in Massachusetts.

With security and paint exposure not being a question then, the only question is whether the fluctuations in temperature (and sub-zero temperatures) would be harmful to the car.

I know that for peace of mind/love of car/obsessive caretaking that a "cold car" wouldn't float many people's boats, but is there a REAL, physical reason that it's a bad idea? Would the cold damage the car in any way? (Assuming it's started up ever week or so).

--Noah

16. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    First you build the garage,
    then you buy the car.
    IMHO

17. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    If a Ferrari is nothing more than an appliance to you, then feel free to park it in the street - let the world know you don't deserve to have nice things.

However, if common sense prevails in your lifestyle, and Ferrari means what it should to you, then please protect the vehicle adequately by storing it in a garage.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Lets see if I understand? If you don't have a garage you shouldn't buy a Ferrari?
    You shouldn't drive them in the rain?
    You shouldn't drive them in the snow?
    You shouldn't drive them in the mud?
    You shouldn't race them in the rain?
    You shouldn't race them on muddy tracks.
    You shouldn't drive them through muddy pits?
    You shouldn't park them on the street day in and day out for years?
    You shouldn't put over 500,000 miles on them over the years?
    You shouldn't strap baby seats into them?
    You shouldn't drive them through the night into the dawn, pull over walk accross the beach, go for a swim with your Honey, walk back accross the beach sandy feet and all climb in and keep on trucking?
    Someone should have told me...

19. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Perhaps, to you, a Ferrari is just another 'consummable'. They may, perhaps, be considered cheap disposable vehicles compared to the total amount of wealth you have accumulated over your lifetime. If you break/destroy such a car, no big deal - run out and buy a brand-spanking new one. The cost of this might only represent 0.0000001% of your total net worth. That's great. Some people spend more money on lunch than I spend on a weeks' worth of groceries. I have no problem with this.

Your personal, intrinsic value of a production Ferrari might be very, very low, but I doubt the engineers and designers of these cars had in mind the type of abuse you subject your cars to. Ferraris are not, nor were they ever designed to be driven in the snow - we have SUVs for that, and God Willing, none will be rolling out of Maranello assembly lines. I have doubts that most Ferraris were ever destined to see much rain, either. Why do so many GTS/Spyders leak, then? I've gathered from sources close to the factory that the prevailing attitude from Ferrari Spa is : if the car leaks, don't drive in the damned rain, fool!

Ferrari didn't even bother to think about rust protection until the 1980s - I guess in Italy they've never had rain or snow or humidity prior to 1980. Whatever. I care about my car. I've saved and sacrificed for seven years to put one in my garage. It might have taken you seven MINUTES to get enough cash together to fill your garage three times over. I will take care of my vehicle to the best of my ability, because if it rusts or falls apart, I can't just run out and get another one. My car is special - there are many like it, but this one is mine.

I don't know where you're coming from on this thread - you abused and decimated your Testarossa, but are dropping, dare I say, hundereds of thousands of dollars to meticulously restore a race car. Will the P4 be logging laps on a circle dirt track, swapping paint with Outlaws? Lets take it to the beach and park it in the surf for a photo op.....maybe we can run it up the dunes with the right knobby tires......or weld a snow plow on the front of it to clear the driveway when the next blizzard hits. Its your car, your money, but....its not what I would do.

20. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I think I should be punished, too.

-I displayed my V12 Ferrari at car shows WITHOUT taking the baby seats out.
    -I parked it at Safeway, and I did NOT take up three spots, parking diagonally
    -I have driven it in the worst storm of this year (for California, anyway), on January 1st, in the New Year's Day rally, nasty back roads full of mud and tree limbs.
    -One time, I took it to a car show and I forgot to wash it (I even left the Q-tips at home !)
    -I have let various people drive my car, kids played inside, and my wife drives it on occasion.

Yes, I have some door dings, and it has been keyed, but that is life. In order to enjoy it, you have to take risks. I could also eat bran and alfalafa sprouts every day and that would probably prolongue my life by 3 years. It is not worth it, though.
    Get the 360. Of course, I could throw my Alfa Spider out of the garage and keep your 360 in mine. You could use it whenever you vacation in California. I promise.

luke
    SF, CA

21. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I'd say money is the great tiebreaker on this subject. If money is no object, I'd also drive it in the salt, the mud, the snow and put 30K miles per year on it. Who cares because after a couple of years you could give it to a charity and go get a new one.

Now if you're concerned about the future condition of the car and want to take care of it, I'd make sure I had a garage... but that's just me.

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ferrari's were raced in the rain.
    250 GTO's were raced in the snow.
    Have you ever been to LeMans and seen what happens to race cars?
    Have you ever trailed a CanAm car through the night on an open trailer, blown the motor , rebuilt it in your hotel room and raced the next day?
    Have you ever stood in an F1 pit in the 60ies?
    Have you ever seen what Mr. Ferrari did with old race cars?
    I use them, if they break I fix them, it they get dirty I clean them up.
    As for my TR I drove that puppy 115,000 miles. I though that's why you bought them. To use. My MK-IV got so dirty/muddy when I raced at Goodwood that customs wouldn't let it back into the US before the Agra. Dept inspected it for foreign soil. I took that car to Pebble. It was the ONLY Ford GT that finished the Pebble tour without breaking down. After the tour I put it on the lawn. It got a trophy road dirt and all.
    If I couldn't afford to use my cars I'd wouldn't want to own them. I had just as much fun driving a Bug Eye Sprite down the PCH in 68 as I did standing on the lawn at Pebble.
    Hey it's you car. Whatever makes you happy; just don't go on thinking that Mr. Ferrari and the designers and engineer's who built these cars wanted John and Michael to keep it parked in a nice dry garage instead of giving it a go on that rainy day long ago.

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

"If your trophy wife won't sleep with you".............the divorce will still cost the same...........think about this when you are contemplating driving your Ferrari.

It's not about money like has been implied...it's all about usage...I am sure that some day James G. may blow his P4 motor at a track...but if it occurs he most likely would have been smiling at the time.

I am planning to get my first F-car...a TR...and think the risk is managed well given what's known...but you know what ? I am going to drive it in the way Enzo intended come hell or high water....or for that matter rain water or unexpected snow. Parking it outside or in public garages is the least of my concerns as you can clean them when and as required. To me it doesn't mean you don't take precautions.....it means you try not to go crazy doing it.

24. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    No garage...no car... that simple. I understand what Napolis is saying BUT the constant exposure to the elements that ocurs from being outside 24/7 is not good, period, no matter how expensive your car cover is.

25. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Agreed, but it should not matter how much money you have... just upbringing and taking care of something valuable, whether you bought it or it was given to you, should be a top priority. I had my first car at 16 that my dad gave me, was not a Ferrari, not even close, but it was still a pretty hot car for the time. Even though it was given to me I babied and cleaned and protected that car like I worked my own ass off to buy it. We are talking about 2 separate issues: driving/using the cars as they were meant to be used vs. simply not giving a damn and abusing them by leaving them outside exposed to the elements. I understand Napolis' point, but I'm sure after his cars are run in rain, sleet, etc. they are then pulled into a nice safe and secure garage and cleaned. As far as driving in the snow, I don't care what Enzo would have wanted, I have lived in Michigan and had several cars drop exhaust systems on the ground while driving because of salt corrosion and I babied those cars as well, always washing, waxing, etc., spraying the undercarriage, got undercarriage sealant applied from factory etc. and it still happened. I would NEVER subject the Michaelangelos of the automotive world to that kind of abuse.