Is anyone driving to Italy this summer? | FerrariChat

Is anyone driving to Italy this summer?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by A.J, Mar 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A.J

A.J Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I've always fancied having a drive through France, the Swiss alps and into Italy. Is anyone else heading that way this summer? What's the best route to take and places to stay along the way?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Take a look for some of the threads in this section that mention 'Stelvio' and/or 'Napoleon' for past experiences etc

JagShergill and A.J like this.
  3. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    I have this thread below saved on my iPad for future points of interest. Although the OP started his journey from Poland it is an awesome read if you have the time, and some of the calling points looked really interesting, maybe this might help.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329552

A.J likes this.
  4. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yep
    will be driving to Italy again this year

May want to check out my factory collection thread as well, brought the car back from Italy a few months back..

Regards

Michael

5. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    A.J. I have driven to Italy from the UK many times and I love it! I would do it again tomorrow (snow aside) and every week if I could. It is an amazing experience if you love travelling, France, food, driving and everything that the journey has to offer. It is worth looking at Michael's thread on his drive back, and also Mark's thread on his drive down to Italy in his 250 TdF. Those two cover lots of the things you need to know, from driving a 1950s classic to a modern supercar on the roads of Europe.

When I have done it I have stayed somewhere cheap. And I mean really cheap! I mean Romanian lorry driver/Belarussian tourist cheap. We have taken the view that we would drive as far as we could, and as late as we could, before stopping for the night, having as much sleep as possible and setting off again as early as we can the following morning. If, like me, you are happy eating French cheese, bread and meats you can just stop wherever you like for meals as long as you have stocked up in Carrefour beforehand. My son woke up in Switzerland on his 2nd birthday to presents and a view of snow covered mountains. He went to sleep that same day in a hotel near a noisy roundabout in Modena not far from the railway station! Happy days!

The way to go there, and come back, depends on your interests. Mulhouse is well worth a visit, as is the circuit at Rheims. If you are interested in wartime stuff then you are spoilt for choice: WW1 battlefields and cemeteries are nearby the route and there are signs to V1 and V2 launch sites that, although I have never visited, must be worth a visit.

You may well have switched off at the point when I mentioned Romanian lorry drivers and if so, there are loads of more luxurious places to stay on the way to Italy. I have stayed in Como, Mulhouse, Rheims, Verdun and loads of other places inbetween on my way to and from the Ferrari part of Italy. I suspect though, that no matter where we spend our evenings, lots of guys would choose to spend their days the same way!

Buon viaggio!

6. A.J

A.J Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys I'll make sure to have a read through the threads you've mentioned etc
    Robert - thank you for that awesome write up, it sounds perfect!!

7. Blitz88

Blitz88 Karting

I drove from Munich through Bavaria into Austria over the Alps into Italy. Then to Lago di Garda and on to Verona and the Venetian. It was a wonderful trip. Not the usual tourist destinations. Great roads, sites, food, hotels and people.

LorenzoOO and JagShergill like this.
  8. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi AJ

If you want to chat it through drop me a pm and I will give you my mobile number.

Regards

Michael

9. A.J

A.J Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Michael, that would be great!! I'll drop you a message soon :)

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    classic grand touring did a great trip last year, staying at top hotels.

A.J likes this.
  11. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    We go most years down through France but this Summer for change going through the Ardennes visiting a couple of WWII sites/ museums then onto the German wine region and 2 nights in the Black forest. Driving the 500 and then staying with friends in northern Switzerland then some Alps passes to Lake Orta in northern Italy for a few nights. Then a week in Tuscany with 26 other Ferrari people/ families. Not told my Wife yet but might be making a trip to Perazzi firearms in Brescia to have a bespoke shotgun made :)

Happy to send you hotel details/ routes for this Year and previous

mike01606 and A.J like this.
  12. A.J

A.J Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    That sounds epic!! When do you usually go?

13. dell550

dell550 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    george c
    Good morning all ,

I am off to Verona in early June with 8 other like minded Ferrari owners for a 7 day jaunt that will include both Alpine Passes and sedate wine tasting tours , (obviously not on the same days !!)
    Anyone else out touring first week of June ?

A.J and 100badboy100 like this.
  14. A.J

A.J Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Would you guys object to another ferrari joining your crew?

15. RobinD

RobinD Karting

Aug 17, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Full Name:
    Robin Duxbury
    Also touring this summer, will be heading to south Lake Garda last week of July, look forward to meeting a few others on the way

A.J likes this.
  16. ChrisPM

ChrisPM Karting

May 29, 2007
    Im doing Maranello, Garda, Milan, Como, some alpine passes and driving home during the first couple of weeks of June. Cant wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

A.J likes this.
  17. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I did my round trip in just over a week. Did the following stops - London - Arras - Metz - Basel - Como - Milan - Maranello - Modena

I went back via Turin - Genera - Dijon and Reims

Such a fantastic and memorable trip

A.J likes this.
  18. DarkHorseTerence

Oct 25, 2012
    AJ...your planned trip is a must! Done it a few times and each was amazing. Various ways and routes...do what works for you but google col du bonnette into the cote d'azur; do route napoeon; take in italian lakes; there are numerous passes over the alps which give great driving. Stussen, stelvio etc etc. Annecy on the way back is stunning too. Enjoy!

A.J likes this.
  19. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Hi AJ sorry for the delay, leave around mid July

A.J likes this.