365 2+2 steering wheel | FerrariChat

365 2+2 steering wheel

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Capt. Rich, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    Did all the production run for the 365 2+2 come with the wooden Nardi steering wheel or were there different variants like a leather wrapped?

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Later cars came with a leather wrapped wheel. I'm not sure where the serial number break is, but 12327 had a wood wheel.

3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Do a search of the Vintage forum on this question - it came up about 10 or so years ago and had many responses w/ pics. I think both Don and I responded to that thread, so use us as "author" in your search.

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's hardly the last word, but as another data point, Keith Bluemel's "Original Ferrari V12" indicates the 365GT steering wheel is wood. He doesn't mention other possibilities, but he does point out that the 365GT was the last Ferrari model to come standard with a wood wheel. Given that the 365GT was produced at the same time Ferrari was transitioning from wood steering wheels, it wouldn't be too surprising if later cars had non-wood wheels even though it isn't specifically mentioned as a possibility.

Excerpt from "Original Ferrari V12" -> "The wood-trim steering wheel has an aluminum boss with plain aluminum spokes featuring an engraved pattern. The yellow horn push, with black plastic rim, contains a Cavallino Rampante emblem. This was the last new Ferrari to be fitted with a wood-rim steering wheel as standard".

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As far as I know/have observed the Euro cars have wood wheels with polished aluminum spokes. The American cars had either wood wheels with black spokes, or were leather wheels similar to what you'd find on a Daytona of the same period. I've always assumed the change over in wheels on the American cars was a safety requirement that happened in the early seventies, but I might be wrong on that. Hard to tell also as I think some owners replaced their leather wheels with wood wheels later on.

Also, I've been told by several QM owners that the wood steering wheels on those cars are actually made by Momo, not Nardi.

6. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    To my knowledge, and I stand to be corrected, Euro cars have engraved polished spokes , and it seems Usa cars do not have the engraving, but also polished . Both with wooden wheel over the metal frame.

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I posted the following in a thread in 2009:
    Over the years, (when I remember to take a note), I have noticed the different types of steering wheels that were installed on QMs during the production run. Like all things Ferrari, there never seems to be a date or s/n certain where certain changes were made. Our cars seem to have had (1) wood rims w/ polished steel spokes (2) black leather wheels with flat black spokes, (3) black leather wheels w/ brushed spokes (with holes) and (4) wood rims w/ black spokes. There doesn't seem to be a correlation by country; only a slow and spotty progression over time from wood w/ polished to black leather w/ brushed. I had heard one theory that US regs banned the polished steel spoke for reflectivity reasons, which is how we ended up w/ a run of flat black spokes.

There is no guarantee that my survey below reflects the wheel/spoke originally installed. thanks to Carbon McCoy or contributing to my list!

please add your car into the survey.
    s/n wheel spokes market
    11199 wood polished s Italy
    11727 wood polished s Italy
    11835 wood polished s Italy
    12009 wood polished s Aus, RHD
    12065 wood polished s Italy
    12185 wood polished s Belgium
    12227 wood ? Italy
    12327 black l black Germany
    12333 black l black 6th USA (first to Harrah)
    12349 wood polished s 7th USA (Harrah)
    12361 black l ? USA
    12377 wood polished Italy
    12529 wood black 26th USA (Harrah)
    12589 wood black Italy
    12597 wood black 39th USA (Harrah)
    12633 black l black 48th US (Harrah)
    12685 black l brushed 55th US (Chinetti)
    12751 black l brushed 66th USA

davemqv likes this.
  8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't know about that list.. 12327 has a wood wheel, with (I think) originally black spokes, USA car, delivered through Harrah. I don't have access to the car right at this moment, but I think the spokes were originally black and have sort of faded to a dark aluminum look.

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    none came with Nardi wheels. all were MOMO regardless if wood or leather. if wood, outside diameter would be approx 415-420mm

10. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart

11. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    Hello All,
    Thanks for all the info on the wheels. It is a small item but I am in search of a well sorted 365 to buy. I am not that familiar with the QM and like most older Ferraris there are considerable differences from car to car and year to year. I owned a 512BBi for 12 years, all original. There was never a dull moment when 2 Boxers were parked next to each other. If anyone knows of a good QM for sale let me know.
    Thanks

12. Mo34t

Mo34t Rookie

Feb 2, 2015
    Hamburg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Ralf Steinkuehler
    here is a well sorted one with a very good history (it is in Europe though): https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C965577

davemqv likes this.
  13. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    13877 = wood

14. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    11603GT Wood/engraved & polished steel

15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Funny shift knob on that one. Not a fully round ball 365 and later style knob, but looks too rounded for a 330 era knob. New to me anyway.

16. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Shift knob on the 365 gt 2+2 is elongated and cylindrical with a finger dent facing the dashboard................probably to help you put the second gear in before the oil pressure is in the 60's :)

17. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Huh, I never noticed that! They all are like that? I could have sworn the ones I've been in have the round ball type similar to what you'd find on a Daytona. I need to look closer!

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The shift knob in the picture is correct for a euro car, I believe. US cars have the round ball type, because they have the shift pattern on the ball. That was a US requirement.

davemqv likes this.
  19. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Aha! That explains it. Thanks Don.

20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My car lost a point at the concours this weekend for having black spokes on the steering wheel... I argued it but lost. This thread tells me I'm not crazy...