Sciadipersia | FerrariChat

Sciadipersia

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Merak1974, Mar 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  2. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    Ugly car, a disharmonic design, lacking in luxury and refinement that such a name let imagine. Carrozzeria Touring was another thing !

3. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Another Nissan inspired car to match the Levante

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for the notice but...I will see it at the Geneva show Thursday or Friday...unfortunately.

It looks like the unfortunate crash between a used 4200GT and a giant catfish, tacky design, tacky seats. In the unlikely event that it looks better in person I will report here but don't hold your breath.

One thing: the Shah di Persia 5000GT final design had architectural/cultural themes of Persian design. If they are to cheapen the name by re-using it they should have done likewise. That young designer says they wanted to evoke the car but not its design...that is cheap, Touring here acting as cheap as Ferrari and Maserati ussing hallowed old names at the drop of a hat without respecting the legacy, just caring for financial return...

Best regards,

Marc

5. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Unnecessarily negative and harsh comments.

Interesting design with several stunning details.
    Well worth another look.

Regards.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    To each his own, I am always happy to like a new design but this one I can't sorry. I was indexing Adolfo Orsi's archive in 2006 just outside Modena working in his office for six months and then Maserati CEO the late Karl Heinz Kalbfell asked to see An A6G 2000 Frua the restoration of which Adolfo was overseeing for its owner in a nearby restoration shop. So they took the car to the factory and Kalbfell came down into the courtyard, looked at every detail indicated to a factory photographer what he wanted photographed to catch the DNA and all that (along with countless photos of other classic Masers) went into his thoughts, his notes, for the finalisation of the Pininfarina design of the Gran Turismo presented a year later: a lot of care.
    This design instead is in my humble opinion a bizarre hodge podge but the client may have had some bizarre requests and been unyielding and ultimately he who pays decides. I have written many articles about Ferrari 1960's one offs through the years and yes sometimes the owner torpedoes the design during conception with requests that were always unfortunate and often unnecessary. This car is interesting maybe but not my cup of tea at all.

7. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Hi Marc,

Like you, I need some time to digest various design details, and, in particular the front and rear of the car. I think it looks really great from the side, and I like the roof design too, at least from above.

I wonder if this is a car that needs to be seen in the flesh to make sense of it design wise. So, please report back after you have seen it in Geneva!

Cheers,
    Gabriel

8. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I agree. But, it is certainly not an unquestionable beauty.

9. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Agree with Marc's comments, spot on.
    Even though its design is 10y old, I still prefer the Granturismo...

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Gabriel, all,

Will report after seeing it in the flesh Thursday or Friday:)

Bedtime, good night!

Marc

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well I finally went to the Geneva show Monday and in person it really is no better, I was hoping to change my mind but no, it is not a success in my humble view. I have some photos, not the best, I can post if anyone is interested enough.

12. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I had of course hoped for a different verdict, but, please go ahead and post a photo or two :)

13. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Looks like a sport version of the Citroën Cactus. Please don't post photos of that thing.

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Giotto! Hahahah you are eeeevil;-)

Hi Gabriel will post a few photos later on.

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  16. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Thank you Marc!
    I actually like that thing from the side. I struggle though with the rear and, especially, the front.

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    It does not due it to me

18. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    It looks really good in my opinion - I like it more every time I look.. a design that didn't use consumer opinion panels, but a pure design ethos.

I think Touring is deliberately trying to get away from gimmicky "boy racer" design language, and going for an understated, elegant, sophisticated design - which is what Maserati was all about back in the Shah's days - call it Retro..

So I find it very interesting as a reflection of the older Maserati brand ethos.

- The rear quarter view is a little unconventional, the folds and creases are a bit unnecessary, but retains a muscular haunch over the rear wheel arch, the curve of the rear tumble from the trunk lid is perfect.
    - I love the side view.. very classy, slightly cab forward with 'pony car' trunk to express a more traditional front engine Grand Touring car, and the C-pillar garnish isn't excessive. Maybe I wish the hood was a little longer.
    - The front I think is greatl - the pictures need more lighting to see the details.. Touring has eliminated the typical, easily accomplished "angry snarl" design - and found a very attractive language... it is entirely successful if that is their goal.. did Touring take the little center "tooth" of the Bora's grille and turn it upside down? I think the chrome horizontals are well proportioned and detailed..

Understated elegance and refinement.

Great shot here:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/maserati/102823/touring-sciadipersia-revealed-pictures#7

A very "Maserati" design approach to a high-performance GT.
    I don't think Touring I can understand how it might not appeal to some.

Cheers,
    - Art

19. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #19 71Satisfaction, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    The interior?
    It is conventional and familiar.. I imagine the emphasis would be on tactile feel of surfaces and controls.. If that's true, it would be a perfect match for Maserati clients who don't want or need to learn and understand every single little software setting of a typical digital system in order to use it and enjoy it...

..which could be another application of the old Maserati ethos.

PS - The air extractors above the C-pillar look familiarly Retro... Wasn't there a Vignale or Frua design from the 50's that used something like those? Maybe it was an old Touring design..

20. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
  21. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Does it commit the cardinal sin of modern cars: fake tail pipes?

22. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD

that is a really cool clip! much better than the episodes I have seen on TV. I wish all of his episodes were more like that.

I discovered I had gotten to old when I began disliking all the new car designs. apparently I am not getting any younger... I can appreciate it, but I don't like the look.

MK1044 likes this.
  23. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I like that the personality and motives of the creator are brought into the discussion.

I with you on thinking that most of the new car designs are uninspiring. But there are exceptions.

24. vignalespider

vignalespider Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    CH
    I did hav teh privilege to drive the SciàDiPersia for a few hundred kilometers back in September.
    Having driven a GrandTurismo Sport for 3 years I am familiar with the car that has the same mechanics.
    I drove the car also on the high-speed banking of Lausitzring (see attached) and it felt right.
    The interior is pretty straight-forward GTS, save for some luxury changes to the cosmetics.
    The navigation system is still Maserati old-school.
    What I liked very much compared to my old GTS is the glass roof which renders the car much airier and lighter.
    In terms of driving, it is the same as the GTS, slightly out-dated by now.
    Still, the car looks much better in the flesh than on pictures, and the colour combo is timeless.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction, MK1044, bay and 2 others like this.
  25. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Looks like an updated Indy from the front.

MK1044 likes this.