Is 87 octane adequate? | FerrariChat

Is 87 octane adequate?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Mar 4, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Locally, we have a choice of 87 Octane without ethanol or 92 Octane with ethanol (the ethanol free is more expensive).

Has anybody run 87 Octane with acceptable results?
    Is it worth considering?

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

2. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Sorry but I have to ask - did you buy a car with a flat 12 and bespoke bodywork because of low running costs??? Dude, buy the highest octane purest fuel you can. Don't buy Ferrari keyrings or car covers to save on costs :)

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I don’t think OP is trying to save money but using gas with no ethanol. Like the gas available when the car was new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    Can you obtain an octane booster additive locally?
    My preference would be no ethanol and raise the 87 octane to 98+ separately.
    In the UK we can still buy a tetraethyl lead additive.

When I add booster to our 98 octane pump fuel I do notice a difference.

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    yo... can you read?

Try again... “ethanol free is more expensive”.

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003

Good idea - but not lead. The cats will crater with lead. I’ll need to do some research.
    Thanks!
    Vincenzo

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Most of the time it is the premium fuel that is ethanol free, you are lucky to find the regular pure gas. The compression ratio at about 9 : 1 is not that high, and the fuel injection system is modern enough to adjust to various fuel qualities. I think the fuel octane for the car is recommended at RON91 which would be 87 in North America.

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I've never had trouble with using 87 AKI fuel (although sometimes I'll buy some 89 AKI just in the hope that it has a better additive/cleaner package), and it meets the required OM specification (OM = 91 RON minimum = about 86 AKI minimum).

Discussions here can get a little mixed up because Europe uses RON octane ratings and the US uses AKI octane ratings.

peteficarra and turbo-joe like this.
  9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sometimes I get fuel from a friend who is working at the airport. leaded fuel but over 105 octane ( so he told me ) and in my BB I can adjust the ignition more 5 ° more before TDC and I feel the power increasement without knocking. even at low rpm and full acceleration. this I can not do with 95 octane. have then to put the ignition back to original timing.

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Are octane boosters just ‘snake oil’?
    Has anybody seen actual test results? Not HP tests.... but actual before and after octane tests of the fuel???????

In my ‘94 truck, with a low reving 460CID engine, it is easy to hear pre-ignition. Even slight pre-ignition.
    In a high reving engine that stays in each gear for only moments, it can be very difficult to hear low level pre-ignition.... but the damage still occurs. Is there an aftermarket instrumentation solution to detect pre-ignition?

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    87 octane would only be acceptable at high altitude.

I would 100% stay with the 92 octane with ethanol.

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    depends on what car, and what condition your hoses and gaskets are in.

my first reaction is go for the higher octane, since that is much more of a problem.
    but, if your hoses and gaskets are old, you will need to replace them soon - and put in ethanol resistant ones.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I know my 85 308 QV manual specifies 91 RON = 87 AKI. Using higher octave is a mixed bag. On one side, higher octane fuels may have better additives and therefore help keep the fuel system cleaner. The down side is that unless the timing can be adjusted (advanced) when running higher octanes you may actually loose a little power, particularly at higher RPM, because higher octane fuel burn slower and combustion will not be completed if the timing remains set got lower octane fuel.

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    btw, on this subject, i highly recommend using shell nitro power ultra.

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    problem with those aftermarket knock sensors is, that every engine has its own frequency and so it is hard to adjust the electronic right without destroying an engine :(

have a look here:

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/0703-turp-knock-sensor-monitor/
    http://www.matrixgarage.com/products/knocklink-g4-knock-light

have no experience with those, but I think it would be worth to try?

16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Things were much easier when I was a kid.

Back then, a set of Webers were complex, high tech and exotic.

These days, the systems in the TR are considered ‘basic’.

Too bad my budget wont’ allow a Daytona in the garage.....

Thanks to everybody for their input!

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Fwiw, all gasoline, pump or race fuel have very similar burn rates. Octane and burn rate are 2 unrelated characteristics of a fuel.

Higher octane is higher resistance to auto ignition and detonation, not slower burning. Still there is some variance and some of the fastest burning fuels are race fuel (would be a problem to achieve complete combustion on nearly 20k rpm F1 cars with slow burning fuel).

That being said, you can realize a power loss in a mild combination that does not require -race- fuel as some race fuel has a lower energy value (btu/lb) than pump gas at the same stoich value.

Shouldn't be a power loss from 87 to 93 but agreed it may not make -more- power if timing was optimized on 87.

18. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
  19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this calculator is not working
    try to change some and is always shows the same: 95/84/15
    so what is cool then on this? :(