It Lasted Five Years | FerrariChat

It Lasted Five Years

Discussion in '308/328' started by Lawrence Coppari, Feb 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    In December 2012 I replaced the seal on my original York AC compressor. The system worked as well as it could (due to its inadequate design) for 5 years but refused to come on a couple of days ago. There are drops of oil clinging to the bottom of the compressor and my Yellow Jacket gauge reads atmospheric pressure. Yesterday I attached my vacuum pump to it and evacuated it but the gauge reads zero this morning. So now it's decision time. I am not sure whether I should replace the compressor with another York, a Sanden, or replace the seal once again. A new seal costs only about twenty bucks. About 12 years ago I replaced the Nippondenso in my track car with a Sanden and I have never had to recharge that system. And that car also serves as a daily driver. My 328 is black. It needs the AC working even in cool weather if the sun is out.

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Concours? Frugal? If so redo seal. If not, spend time and more money and get the last A/C you will ever need in that car. YMMV

3. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    And what is the last AC compressor that I'll ever need?

4. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    If you decide to rebuild, then make sure you replace all the gaskets as well and not just the shaft seal.

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Not just compressor, but system upgrade to the R134A with the Sanden and hoses and condenser (May be the evaporator, I confuse those at times). That way it will all work or so I have been told. I just purchased a replacement York and live with the mediocre cooling.

6. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Where should I purchase the Sanden compressor? I decided not to rebuild the York. The expansion valve and receiver/dryer will also be replaced. When the seller says "Sanden Style" does that mean it is made in China and is a cheap knock-off?

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #7 mike996, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    FWIW, the York compressor is not the "weak link" in the AC system. It has more than enough capacity. Yes, the Sanden is a smoother-running compressor that takes a bit less HP to operate but replacing a York in good condition with a Sanden will do nothing as far as improved cooling. 134 is a downgrade over R12 as far as cooling capacity UNLESS, as suggested, you replace the entire system with one designed for 134 - including the condenser and evaporator. If you want the cooling capability of R12 on an otherwise OEM system without actually buying/paying for R12, one of the propane-based refrigerants, like Duracool, is the equal - even a tad better - than R12.

I went through this "I need better AC" drill some years ago! ;) I got decent cooling after a thorough check of the oem (York) system/all new seals/new drier and valve and using Duracool. But I had to do it all myself/learn how to service ac systems/buy the vac pump, gauge set, etc.. Shops that I initially took the car to basically either made no improvement or made it worse.

8. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I began using the propane based alternate to R12 back in the early 90's in an old Mercedes I had. The latent heat of propane as it changes phase is about 40% greater than R12 but you use less of it so it nearly averages out and your compressor doesn't have to work as hard. I have a supply of Duracool and that is what was in it before the seal went. Duracool also has a larger molecule than R12 so it leaks more slowly. It's also been in my Porsche track car since the late 90's. That said, I am actually flip flopping on what to do. New seal, new York compressor, Sanden conversion. Staying with a York is the easiest.

What does the word 'style' infer in the compressor description? An Asian knock-off?

9. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    This is true.......... the weak link is the evaporator/blower unit in the dash. Any upgrade should include changing this as well to expect any improvement in cooling.

10. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    I believe when people refer to “Sanden Style” they mean a rotary or swash plate type compressor the old York compressors are piston. FWIW I also still use my York compressor and followed exactly the same path Mike996, using propane based refrigerant, own gauges, vac pump etc on a 34-35 (Celsius) day I get vent temps of around 3 to 4 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Cirorsi likes this.
  12. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Tillman, nice looking setup.

13. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Seal was not leaking. It was the rotary fitting at the compressor head. The suction side loosened when I changed the timing belts.

14. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Upgraded the system in my 1988 328 GTS a couple of years ago, with Sanden compressor, vastly upgraded evaporator/blower, and replaced the condenser with one from a later 348, all operating now with 134a. Also replaced the expansion valve and drier, all hoses and fittings.
    The weakest links were the original underdash blower (too few turns of air in cabin) and the original copper tube/fin condenser.
    I also replaced the "filter" foam sheet in the blower assembly that had disintegrated and mostly blown out in my face. This is actually a condensing element, intended to dehumidify the air by allowing it to condense the moisture, which can then drain out through the floor tube. I fabricated a free-flow element using stainless steel hardware cloth supporting a spun polyester material, which is much less restrictive to air flow. This seems to work very well.
    Mine is a black car with a Saratoga top, and I live in Austin... Now the system is GREAT 9 months of the year, and GOOD when temperatures here are north of 100 degrees. I worked with a guy named Rock (the owner) at RetroAir in Dallas, who sold me what I needed a la carte, since the system they offer is for a 308 (different condenser).
    Good luck - especially pulling those hoses through the rocker panel!

15. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    BTW, here are shots of my fabricated condensation screen.

Attached Files:

Milkshaker0007 and NoGoSlow like this.
  16. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    thorn likes this.
  17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #17 mike996, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Is that the original housing to which the reinforcing plate is mounted? And then the replacement Spal blower mounts to that and the entire assembly then bolts back in the original location with no other mods necessary for mounting?

Is the reinforcing plate a purchased product or did you fabricate it yourself?

If the plate/blower were both purchased, would you happen to have the part numbers/where purchased?

Re replacing seal on York or new compressor: From my research, "Sanden style" means Chinese copy. Whether that's good or bad, I have no idea. There's nothing that the Chinese can't make as good as anyone else but, of course, if a supplier wants the cheapest thing he can buy for resale, the quality will be on that level...

I think if (when) I need to replace the York's seal(s) I would probably do that, simply because everything is already set up for that compressor and it's a lot easier. Yes, the Sanden (style) is more efficient as far as HP draw but from a practical side, I figure easier is better. If you need the extra few HP because you are in the race of your life, you would turn off the AC anyway. :)

18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, as far as A/C “robbing” hp, so does carrying a passenger or filling the fuel tanks completely so in that sense the only unavoidable detriment is the weight of the system which probably doesn’t vary that much between choices of compressors.