F355 vs 360 Stick Shift | FerrariChat

F355 vs 360 Stick Shift

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SAU KWENG TAN, Mar 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Hello All

I am seriously looking to get an older model stick shifter but stuck between F355 and 360. Since they are 15+ years old cars, so my questions are...
    1. Which is more reliable, less break down and tiny hiccups here and there?
    2. Which requires more or special maintenance?
    3. Which will most like cost me more to maintain for next 15 years?
    4. Stock vs stock, which sounds better to you?
    5. Can any expert provide tips what/where to look for potential flaws when shopping for these cars?
    My objective is to daily drive it whenever I can and enjoy the exhaust sound without crazy attention like I get from my 488GTB. I assume these old model would not attract any attention like the new model 458, 488, F12 and etc?

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    1. Find a mechanic local to you who will be fixing these cars and ask their opinion. When I was shopping for mine I did that, and he helped me on my search. I advise NOT going to the dealership for that opinion, but rather to an independent mechanic, you'll get a different answer and save money.
    2. Which one do you emotionally want? Which one sets your heart alight? THAT is the one you should buy. Either model is getting older, and may have problems. Your love for the car will get you through them.
    3. Do some research on either board and read the stickies on buying each model and what to look for.
    4. Don't presume the old models don't get attention. :)
    5. Either owner will tell you their car sounds great, is super reliable, get that one, blah blah blah.

3. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Unless you want to spend extra $$$ for engine-out services every 3 / 5 years, then I'd recommend the 360.

F50gta likes this.
  4. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Engine out service? Let me google about the engine out service.

5. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Might be a wise decision. Take also a look at the NSX (i've owned both)

Buying a Ferrari is akin to buying the ticket to DisneyWorld. The park fare is just the start of the $$$ that trip will cost. For an entirely positive experience, one cannot forget the cost of the airplane ticket to Florida, the Taxi/Bus/Uber to go from park to park and airport. The supplies one needs, such as luggage, proper clothing, toiletries, etc. The $5.00 Churros, the overpriced restaurants, souvenirs, onsite photos, lugging a stroller around for kids, and gratuities.

You are wise enough to know that the price of the car is just the ticket price. Many more things that will cost once one gets it. Going back to the Disneyworld analogy, I see visitors miserable because sodas cost $4 at the refreshment cart while waiting in the 1-hour line for Star Tours. (akin to the reaction some folks have when a mechanic quotes a repair/service, and the time it will take to get done)

There is no such thing as a 'cheap' Ferrari. There are lower priced ones than others - but the notion of a bargain Ferrari only comes after proper stewardship over the medium/long-term and if one can wrench and has the facilities/knowledge for owner derived maintenance.

For those that know what to expect, what it will cost, and what they will get back for it - the experience is nothing short of glorious.

I wish you best in your car search.

Kind regards.

7. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
  8. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Good a 360 then, look up user Jana and her history with a 360 ;)
    Jalopnik thinks they know Ferraris, Ferrari chat does know Ferrari.
    You can find horror stories for every model if you look hard enough.
    If you don't want attention, don't drive a Ferrari.
    I mostly drive the back roads, so no one around to give it attention .......except me.
    I am getting an engine out within a month or so, I could care less what the cost is ;)
    The car gives my pleasure, that is all that matters to me.

absostone likes this.
  9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Even after doing your due diligence and a PPI theres still a chance your 355/360 may need work. Its wise to budget at least $5k year for maintenance.

My 355 passed a PPI and then the top stopped working. Over $10k later it still never worked quite right. My 360 that also passed a PPI, spent weeks in two different respected shops trying to figure out why it wouldnt pass smog. $7k later it still wouldnt pass and I sold it. These older Ferraris can be hit or miss.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is very true, I've seen it first hand. Thankfully I've been fortunate not to experience anything out of the ordinary.

anunakki likes this.
  11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    piezopaul, jjtjr and absostone like this.
  12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Turn up the volume;)

INTMD8 likes this.
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't fit.

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Dale, I'm 6 foot, 245 (and dropping :) ) and I fit ;)

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm 6'2", fat, and long waisted. The top of the windshield hits me right in the eyes.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Trust me, my 245 is fat too. I've lost 8 pounds in the last few weeks and feel great. 45 more to go ;)

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    "Don't listen the the baloney spewed about the 355, plenty of owners here like myself that own top running 355's that have no issues."

OP... make sure you get a lift and a set of professional air tools and basically equip your garage like a professional shop. Then you'll have no issues. You can also then tell everyone who has any repair bill over $5k that the shop was overcharging them

I'll leave this here:
    https://www.forza-mag.com/issues/134/articles/beauty-brawn?page=5#.Wp9RQ1e_cso

It jives with every 355 owner I've met... if their car isn't in the shop..

bart12, Robin and SAU KWENG TAN like this.
  18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Have you ever owned a 355? Yes or no?

I own 2, had 3. I speak from experience. I also know many owners here with no issues.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I can't afford to own one.

Having worked on two (2) doing repairs that thankfully some other sucker owned.. hands on baby.

Do you have a lift in your garage?

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Right. As I figured, you never owned one. Yep, I have a lift. I currently own 5 cars, 2 are 355's.

I've owned my first 355 for over 5 years - runs like a Swiss watch and oh, it's an F1 ;)

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    See. OP. Get yourself a lift, get some air tools and your car will run like a swiss watch. Just make sure you're a good mechanic too.

Buy the hype, or don't. It's not my wallet. I just can't stand by and watch someone walk into a pit without warning. Sometimes a girl gets a reputation.. for a reason.

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    For the record, I don't use air tools. Feel better now?

OP - get your advice from someone with actual experience.

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Much reassured... for the record.. my sweetie bought me a Dewalt Electric Driver for christmas a few years back. This plus harbor freight make everything with the cars easier. Air is soo overrated. :)

Oh and despite all I wrote above.. if someone absolutely loves the 355. They should absolutely get one IMHO. As long as they study the car and know what they're getting into. IMHO

anunakki likes this.
  24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    1. Which is more reliable, less break down and tiny hiccups here and there? If you discount the 5 years older the F355 is over the 360, then they are similar in breakdowns and hiccups. If you cannot discount, the 360, but 90% of that is that it is 5 years younger.
    2. Which requires more or special maintenance? F355
    3. Which will most like cost me more to maintain for next 15 years? F355
    4. Stock vs stock, which sounds better to you? F355
    5. Can any expert provide tips what/where to look for potential flaws when shopping for these cars? Find a local mechanic who works on them, then pay them $500 to completely go over the car up one side and down the other--this is commonly known of as the PrePurchase Inspection or PPI.
    But realistically, they are both at least 15 years old, and things begin to happen at those kinds of ages.

25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    1. 360 overall is more reliable but both are old at this point.
    2. 355, as you have learned needs an engine out maintenance. What you may not have learned is the car is designed to be serviced this way. So, a few hours to drop out the entire drivetrain and work on it in front of you on a bench. -Might- just end up being better access to everything you're working on if you want to do a complete job with valve timing vs crouching over to work through an access panel behind the seats on a 360.
    3. 355 will cost you more. The service is more expensive by what, a few thousand? So yes I suppose some can afford to put away 200 a month for maintenance but not 300 (probably would end up much closer in cost than that). If you want 20 years old and cheap to run I would skip Ferrari entirely and go for maybe an early NSX?
    4. IMO no contest 355 sounds the best and that's not only in comparison to the 360
    5. Yes but you should probably try to narrow it down a bit first.

I'm not sure if your assumption is correct but the older cars still get a lot of attention. Most people who aren't automotive enthusiasts don't really know the difference.

I'm on my second F355 and have had only minor issues over the years. Overall super reliable and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere.

If you don't find an excellent example any of these can be a money pit. Buy the best car you can find in terms of condition and maintenance and have some fun :)