Manhattan Garages? | FerrariChat

Manhattan Garages?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by AdamB, Nov 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AdamB

AdamB Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Hey,

I was just wondering where and what those of you who live in Manhattan do about parking your car? I personally hate handing the keys of any of my vehicles to a valet. Most of them don't speak English, and don't look that reputable that I'd seriously considering entrusting $100k-200k (if not more) of my money. There is nothing worse than coming back to your car and finding a scratch on the bumper to ruin a day. Between that and many garage attendants not knowing how to properly drive a manual vehicle I'm not enthusiastic or trusting enough to leave my car.

Does anybody have a suggestion of a descent garage or solutions in NYC? I can't imagine most of you entrust your cars to valet parkers.

2. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Hey Adam,

I live on the Upper East Side, and my garage is in the basement of my building. I have yet to find a private garage. Most of them have attendants whom I don't really want to give my keys. My car has gotten some dings; but mostly from people in other garages. My garage attendants seem to be pretty good. I don't have a Ferrari (yet), but I do entrust my car to them. The G500 isn't too easy to manevuer around a tight garage, but I haven't had any problems yet *crosses fingers*.

If I wanted a private garage, I think I only have two solutions: (1) Move out of the city; or (2) buy a townhouse with a private garage; however, a $7 million townhouse is a little out of my reach.

3. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I lived on the East Side in the 30s before. My garage there was on 38th street btw 1st and 2nd avenue. THose dudes took great care of my car. And my parking spot was awesome!

Now i moved on the west side and my garage is right at Lincoln Center. THose guys seem to take good care of my car too.

I think the secret is:

I give them $2 to take the car out....and $2 to have the car parked.

That just gives them smiles and as a result, they love ur car and take care of it. Just make sure you get a good parking spot too.

4. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    recently moved from the east side to LI (I do miss it!) anyway, I used to park at a place on the westside 58th between 10th and 11th...it was reasonable and as a monthly you park your own car...there were quite a few exotics in there...my parking neighbor was a euro 308QV...people were very nice and moved other cars promptly.

5. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Instead of giving tips each time you take your car out and put it back in, another option, which I have found to also work, is to give a big tip to all of the garage attendants during Christmas time. This is probably more expensive than Hubert's way, but it's another option. I usually give $100 to each member of my building's staff during Christmas - usually gets me a smile or two for at least two months, lol.

6. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    A number of garages have a park-and-lock option. I pay $100/month extra for this and I have a fixed place and park my car myself at W42nd street at the West side highway. I still pay the attendants $4 when I take the car out.

Rijk

7. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    Anytime I valet my NSX in Manhattan I slip the guy a $10 and ask him to let me park it myself up front. They're expecting this and it's never a problem. Typically, I end up near a 911TT or Ferrari and all is well. Sure it's expensive (on top of the already outrageous Manhattan parking), but it's part of the cost of owning this type of car...

8. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob

I park at the hilton garage on 53rd st and 6th. Most garages have park & lock for extra or you can tip the manager (probably one months rent) to get him to let you park it yourself in a designated spot.

The big key: Pick a spot next to a pillar (or support beam) on the passenger side. Most of the damage is door dings from neighboring cars. By parking on the left side of a pillar (most garages have these to support the roof) cars which park by you open their door into the pillar rather than your car. Obviously, there is never someone getting out on the passenger side.

One other tip: buy a yoga mat at the Big K and attach one end to your side mirror and the other to the passenger door handle. My mat actually had elastic on both ends for rolling it up. It works well as a ding guard.

9. AdamB

AdamB Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Thanks everybody. I see most of you do what I have been doing. Unfortunately, the only option seems to be to continue doing what I'm doing as all the garages previously mentioned would require taking a cab, bus, or subway to get to.

10. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I used Pier 40 down on Houston and the West Side Highway for months, and my brother still parks his Porsche there. You can use the covered park and lock, and it only costs $250/month. There are a ton of other high end cars and Porsches there, and its very easy to get to and from (if you live on the west side). This was the best and cheapest option I found in NYC.

You don't have to tip anyone, but I would suggest using a car cover.

My car was parked there for months and no one ever bothered, dinged or chipped it - I just chose my spot wisely.

David

11. AdamB

AdamB Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    I used an Edison Park Fast up on 135th and Riverside. The problem for me is the area is attrocious, and the next highest end vehicle that the garage has is a 7-series BMW and from there its down to cars with a value sub-$15k on a good day. The garage luckily has a number of spots in which nobody can park anywhere near your vehicle and thus it is virtually impossible for your vehicle to get damaged. The annoyance for me is having to take a cab or a subway and a not so pleasant walk to get to my car.

Unfortunately all the garages between 60th and that garage seem to be valet only, and I just don't like having to pay nearly double $500 ($1000 a month) in terms of extra tips and bribes just to prevent my car from being abused by someone who is supposedly taking care of my vehicle. Also leaving the keys is not something I like doing as it can often be nearly a week until I return to the garage depending on my workload and/or vacation. Therefore, I don't trust that a valet wouldn't do a Ferris Bueler style move.

12. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    AdamB,
    Pier 40 definitely has some great cars down there. Its like a best kept secret, bc its $250/mo and that's it, so even if you have to take a cab down, its worth it if you only use your car occasionally. You park wherever you want, and walk away with the keys.

Finding a garage definitely takes some consideration and looking. Best of luck.
    D

13. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Another great option: Beneath my building at 62nd & West End, there's a fully-enclosed garage that offers park & lock spots for $300 / month. 24-hour access, someone there all the time, indoors (i.e. heated in the winter), and very reasonably priced.

Also, this garage happens to have the cheapest general rates I've found in the city -- $7.50 for 12 hours, every day of the week.