Japan | FerrariChat

Japan

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Gershwin, Feb 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    really want to go for the first time maybe in June. Where to go, what to see? Is it better with a group?

2. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    Been many times. Love it. Kyoto is my favorite city

Gershwin likes this.
  3. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    I highly recommend Gateway to Japan, available as an e-book at gatewaytojapan.net.

There's a charm to doing it on your own, but maybe not the first time...

Gershwin likes this.
  4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's a big and diverse country.
    Without any more info about what you want to see, do, or why you want to go:

Make Tokyo your home base. It's the biggest and most iconic cities. The NY of Japan, but you can still wander around and have more subdued experiences. You can also catch a train to Kyoto, or if you have the time to Kobe. Give some more info about you and what you are looking for and there will be better recommendations.

5. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Going later this year. Doing a Tokyo and Kyoto run. Is the languaghe barrier substantial? I have been studying on the side to be prepared.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You should have no problem with language either in Tokyo or Kyoto. You may find that if you wander around looking confused, a helpful government employee may help you in English.

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Would be appreciated to hear what you love about it. I've been a couple of times to Tokyo for business meetings and dinners and didn't leave with a "can't wait to return" feeling.

But, my gf really wants to go (but she can't really say why).

I travel a lot, but Japan is lost on me. Help me understand the attraction. TIA. (hoping to read something that makes me go "ahh, now I get it" and thus add this trip to my list).

8. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    If you have the time, rent a car (make sure you bring an international permit) and drive across avoiding the highways. You'll see some of the most beautiful scenery in the world punctuated by brilliant feats of roadbuilding. We did it a few years ago, enjoyed our time on the west coast of Japan tremendously. Tokyo was fun too, but I'm glad we saw more of the countryside and mountains.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I’ve been there many times and love Japan. If you go to Tokyo you can use the subway. Easy to get around in and their are people in booths to help you with finding what trains to get on. Also locals very friendly and will help if not at the peak rush hour.

everyone has to go to Ginza at one point but each district has its own speciality.The Imperial Palace is pretty close to Ginza. Akihabara is where you’ll find the big stores with the latest electronics.

I’ve been to the Tokyo fish market near central Tokyo (also not far from Ginza) at 6 am to have sashimi for breakfast. Some of the best I’ve ever had. Hundreds are there doing the same. Just stand in one of the lines outside a restaurant and they move them though pretty quickly.

Shibuya and shinjuku should not missed just for their bizarreness.Ueno for museums. The largest Buddhist temple is in Asakusa.

Roppongi for night life.

The people are very friendly which makes travel there pretty stress free. Also, don’t be afraid to buy a bowl of noodles from a small storefront vendor. Awesome stuff.

10. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    We did 8 days there last summer, as my daughter and family were ending 1 1/2 years in Tokyo with Nissan.

We rode the Bullet Train, and did an overnight in Kyoto. Amazing city of 1 million, with 17 UNESCO World Historic Sights there. We had a car and driver my daughter hired to get us around the first afternoon, and the next morning. Was worth the visit.

In Tokyo, do the Tower on a clear day, and you can see for 20-30 miles.

The most amazing thing we did was the Mario Go Karts in downtown Tokyo on a Saturday night from 6-8pm. You can put on their Mario costumes over your clothes, and after a little instruction, your group ( 4 for us) follows a lead kart through Tokyo for the next 2 hours. Karts were plenty fast enough to keep up with traffic, and no cars came close to running over us. The karts have front and rear LED lights, and a 4' stalk with lights, so you can be seen. We even went on the famous Rainbow Bridge, where the semi driver 5' to my left was recording a video of us on the bridge. Every intersection you pulled up to, people were smiling, waving and taking your picture, especially the kids. We felt like Rock Stars, and had a total blast doing it. You need to go to a Triple AAA in the US to get your International Driving Permit, to be able to do it. My wife had never been on a go-kart before, but did fine, other than a slight curb rub when the leader stopped short at a light. How they get a large group of 15 (behind us) through those stoplights and turns boggles my mind.

Also on my daughter's bucket list was an all day Japanese Spa day, with the men's and women's sides, etc. Lots of families there, and they had a food/game arcade with a bunch of food choices, and games for the grand kids. Thought it was going to suck, but it ended up fun.

My kids never locked the door of their condo, and they never witnessed a singe wreck while they were there. The Japanese are such a rule following people. No trash, or even trash cans on the streets. They are taught in elementary school, to take care of their own trash, and take it home to get rid of.

We did the subway where they push you into the doors it is so crowded. Survived the 2 stops to where it was a more normal NYC kind of packed.

It was a dramatic culture difference from our life here in the States, and I am very glad to be able to experience it.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Kobe beef in Kobe is unbelievable. And nothing like you get in the States.

A must-do experience!

Matt