New Plane Market in 2018 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Plane Market in 2018

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Dec 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's a good way to go about it, nothing wrong with 152. There are a few advantages bigger school more planes and instructors Part 141. The MOST ecconomical approach is either buy a plane and get a young instructor trying to build ATP hours or find older instructor who owns plane and does it for fun on side.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I actually love the diamonds looks and fuel efficiency, not the best speed or load. I would also be afraid to own plane company uncertainty.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Damn. I think I was about $80-90/hour when I trained in a 152. I think that went up to a $110/hour when I moved into a 172.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    150 is $90/hour at the airport they fly at. Instructor is extra, obviously.

5. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I was meaning plane (wet) plus instructor.

6. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    Just one remark, the TTx does NOT have a larger useful load than the SR22, at least not when full fuel and similarly equipped avionics.

Of all single engine piston, the SR22 is the only one that you can fill up with full fuel, carry 600lbs pay load, and can land and take off at max gross weight of 3600....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    The DA50 platform with a turbine or diesel and pressurization would get my vote

8. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you are right, my quick math was off. Cirrus has lower empty and smaller tanks. TTx does have 22 more knots and 250 more range.

are people running the Cirrus LOP now? that's one thing I loved about the 400 was 13-15 GPH at 190 knots.

10. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Speaking of the DA50, did someone mention ugly planes??? :D Good god that demo plane is ugly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  12. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
  13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The upcoming 7-seat DA50 will apparently be available as a retractable with a turboprop option.

15. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    Hi Rob,

Yes, the TTx does have quite a higher top speed; the SR22 can be run RoP or LoP, the TAS RoP for the NA is 183 v 196 in the 22T; burn rate in the 22NA RoP is approx 20G and LoP approx 13;

I am a BIG fan of the TTx, love the G2000’s and overall believe it’s a better plane, however, in reviewing the useful load, and physical space, the Cirrus became my choice.

16. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    The turboprop doesn’t interest me much. That market must be minimal at best. The real intriguing plane, to me at least, is the 7-seat, 350hp jet-A burning diesel. That’s nearly as much power as the DA62, so it should be quite a performer. If I remember right, Diamond coaxed just about 200mph out of the 260hp, so with 350hp, it should really move and carry a big load.

17. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    I've had same reservations, and the DA40 I fly has been down now two weeks waiting for a fuel gauge sender to arrive (or even be located) so support is a real issue. Diamond like practically everyone else save Textron has found Chinese owners, hopefully they will be as supportive as have been Cirrus's owners.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/12/27/full-takeover-of-diamond-canada-by-chinese-co-owner-heralds-growth-ceo-says

18. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    no one has addressed the product liability insurance of the manufacturer included in the price of every new plane. It is outrageous expressed as a percentage of purchase price. Planes would be reasonable without the product liability insurance . At one time off shore manufacturers and sellers could offer planes at substantially lower prices vs buying planes built in the USA.

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    My 19 y/o son, who recently got his PPL in rotary, now flies fixed wing with a really small rural school and gets his flight time by washing and fueling planes for the school...paid in flight time only. His IP is his high school best friend who's parents own the flight school and he teaches him gratis. Even I'm jealous! At least I no longer have to help pay for lessons in rotary...we had been splitting the flight hour cost 50/50 with him also paying everything else with his In-n-Out Burger money. He studies very hard, and got his rotary PPL in 43 hours. Now the aviation fire is truly well-lit in him. I think there are a lot of young people who will still find ways to make it work and GA will live on. I'm very near to getting back into GA after a 35 year hiatus. Flying is just fun...even if it's work!

Edit: Sorry, I read the first thread page and didn't realize we had moved way beyond lamenting the impending demise of GA.

Island Time and Boomhauer like this.
  20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm really glad to hear that-- thanks for posting! We need more young people in GA.

21. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Not into aviation, but just curious ...

What’s a new Baron cost vs a Pilatus ? Is that in the same market ?

I know a gentleman who I believe is on his 2nd or 3rd Global. It’s hard for me to wrap my little head ( and wallet ) around what kind of money he has, but he is a very generous guy who helped me out with a hobby of mine. Oh, he also owns a Bel 429. Gotta love successful people.

MDS

22. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    Baron is $1.4M new Pilatus 4.8M new. Totally different market and ‘mission’

Baron typically flies around 170kts, Pilatus 285kts; Baron around 9k ft, Pilatus 27k ft; baron has 6 seats, but with full fuel, 1.5 seats, Pilatus has up to 8 seats, with full fuel 8 seat, baron has twin piston engines, Pilatus single turbo prop,

23. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I really don't understand why anyone buys a new Baron... not that there is anything wrong with a Baron, but $1.4 million can get you a lot of airplane! $1.4 million can get you a used Pilatus, for that matter...

Okay, the Pilatus and Baron are not really comparable, but $1.4 million can get you a used Citation Mustang, or a fantastic used Eclipse, and both of those (particularly the Eclipse) are comparable in cabin size and range to the Baron, and do everything much better.

24. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    My initial reaction is the buyers must be old guys with money to burn that have always flown barons and don’t want to change and learn new systems. But, they would probably want steam gauges too, so I’m stumped.

25. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    For what it’s worth ( zero ), I think the name “Baron” is pretty cool

“Yeah, that’s my Baron in the hanger next to the Ferrari ...”

LOL

MDS

Island Time likes this.