New to Chicago any tips on owning a Ferrari here? | FerrariChat

New to Chicago any tips on owning a Ferrari here?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by JosephMBradley, Mar 9, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JosephMBradley

Mar 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Joseph M. Bradley
    Moved to a chicago last year from California. We lost climate but we sure gained community! Love the culture, people, and passion of the city. I am looking to purchase a F430 as my 1st in what I hope to be a great collection. Any tips, card you know that are available, or thoughts on caring for this type of car in Chicago. We live in Lakeview. Thanks for your advice.

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Hope you have a garage. Most Ferraris are stored over the winter to avoid the snow and salt.

3. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    I don’t live in Chicago but I can recommend Timo’s Autohaus for maintenance and repairs.
    I purchased my F430 Spider in Chicago at Xmas and it is still there getting some work done. I swapped the Manifolds to Capristo Headers, Capristo Exhaust Brackets, all fluids and Filters changed, new Battery and install the Ctek Battery Tender, Powdercoat the Wheels and install new Pilot 4S and an alignment with lowering to Euro spec.
    I have found Timo goes above and beyond what I’ve experienced with other Indies and is a pleasure to deal with. His prices seem very reasonable and as my car isn’t getting shipped to Las Vegas till mid April for me to pick it up he is keeping the car on a lift to keep the weight off of the new tires and suspension till it is shipped.
    He also did a after purchase PPI to confirm what was found on the original PPI done by Fluid Motorunion, as Timo didn’t find anything missed I could recommend Fluid Motorunion as well.

Feel free to pm me if you would like anymore info

http://www.timosautohaus.com

http://www.fluidmotorunion.com

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. JosephMBradley

Mar 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Joseph M. Bradley
    Yes...we have a new home with nice size garage. How many months of driving can I expect? I am a bit concerned with the pot holes on the streets so will have to map out a driving course... any recommendations?

5. JosephMBradley

Mar 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Joseph M. Bradley
    Thanks for the recommendation... much appreciated. Did you purchase care from a dealer or individual in Chicago?

6. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    I purchased it from Chicago Motor Cars. Eric Gaudi was great to deal with no pressure to buy. I asked a lot of questions over a month time period before putting a deposit down to get a PPI done. Then thought about the purchase for another couple weeks before flying to Chicago to look at the car in person and handing over the Bank draft. The car was exactly as advertised and how he had described no surprises in paint or interior condition, pictures do not show all imperfections as I found out dealing on another F430 a few months earlier.
    He picked me up and dropped me off at the airport. He also has looked after moving the car to Timo’s and the transport to Las Vegas to their other dealership for me to pick it up. I had a trade in that I had to import and ship from Canada and he was very helpful with that process as well.

jjmalez likes this.
  7. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Welcome to Chicago and welcome to F-Chat. I live in Ravenswood so I cut through parts of Lakeview every day. Pot holes, traffic (Cubs traffic and a Ferrari do not mix), length of driving season... are all valid concerns, but in my experience, if you go into this knowing that you have to plan accordingly you'll still get to enjoy the car and not view it as garage art. Your car will end up with dings, nicks, chips and Lord knows what else. Just roll with it. Acknowledge that if you're not rolling by 8:00 on a Saturday, you will be in traffic. If you're coming home in the afternoon, yup, more traffic. Once you get out of the city, lots of great destinations. Starved rock, botanical gardens, Hackney's for a burger, etc. P.M. me if you have any neighborhood specific questions.

8. JosephMBradley

Mar 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Joseph M. Bradley
    Thanks for the strong dose of reality. Is the ceramic brake option a must on the F430 in your opinion?

9. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Broke my own rules. Left for continental at 10:25, took 30 minutes to get to the Kennedy and it didn’t open up until I got on the 294. Almost an hour to get here. Still good to get out and drive.

10. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    1) We salt the hell out of the roads once the first major snow hits. It takes at least a couple torrential spring downpours to wash it off. Drive before then at your own risk.

2) We generally patch potholes after we’re confident the snow season is over. Until then, be aware that foot-deep potholes may sprout up overnight that you can’t see much before you hit em.

3) You’re in for a bit of a shell shock with our winter weather, but it’ll make you enjoy those summer days all the more.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

No. Esp as prices are going down to below $100k, most buyers will not want to have to bother paying $2000 for pads per corner. They look nice with their giant caliper but it wouldnt sway me from a nice clean car without them.

Welcome to Chicago!

12. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    My father-in-laws Family was from Chicago. He used to sing “chicken in da car, car can’t go, that’s how you get - chi ca go.”

13. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I'd agree CCB's are not a necessity. $2k is a high number on pads though, I got all 4 of mine done for around $2k+labor. Rotors on the other hand..

14. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Welcome to Chicago! Agreed on the above that I hope you have a garage; if not there are storage options though the best suggestion is to find a garage space for rent on Craigslist near where you live.

I've driven my cars every month of the year. Usually in Dec/Jan/Feb there's a 50+ degree day you can take them out. Realistically though you're looking at end of March-early November time frame.

Get out on the water at some point (there are boat share programs if you're into that sort of thing) and enjoy the free fireworks from time to time. Also be sure to check out the museums and parks. Feel free to ask any further questions or if there's anything else that you're interested in feel free to post or PM!

15. chet

chet F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Welcome!

I've had my 612 in the garage since November and will probably take it out in April.

Are you city or suburbs? I am a couple miles west of Wrigley.

16. tunlhd1

tunlhd1 Karting

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago IL area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome to Chicago. Please join the Ferrari Club Central States Region and participate in the events. Great group of people and fun events.

17. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yep, as others... you're looking at April till early Nov. Maybe get a few days here and there before April (yesterday was gorgeous) and a few days in Nov.

18. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Get an FF with all-season tires and drive, drive, drive. Chicago is one of the few cities that is really prepared for any kind of weather.

19. JosephMBradley

Mar 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Joseph M. Bradley
    Timo was awesome! Thanks so much for the tip. He did my pre-purchase inspection and was great to work with...I will definitely use him as my mechanic.

KBR54 likes this.
  20. JosephMBradley

Mar 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Joseph M. Bradley
    Hi Chet,

I am taking delivery of my 2008 F430 Spider on Monday. We are very close to you. We live in Lakeview about a 15 minute walk to Wrigley field. I joined the Ferrari club and will participate in there rides. Let me know if there are any other groups, events, etc. in the Chicago area you might recommend.

21. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Contact Continental and speak with Lisa. They usually have drives scheduled for the summer and fall.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    630-655-3535

23. JosephMBradley

Mar 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Joseph M. Bradley
    Thanks

24. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    I’m glad to hear you were as pleased with Timo as I am. My car must have been still there when you had your PPI done as it just went back to the dealership all service completed on Monday ready to ship to Vegas for me to pick up in 18 days...can’t wait !!
    I just got my bill and I am very pleased with the amount for everything I had done. Timo and I have even jokingly discussed to fly him to Alberta once a year to do a service for me...if I cannot find a Indy as good as him here I might really fly him here once a year.
    Congrats on the 2008 F430 Spider purchase !!

25. JosephMBradley

Mar 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Joseph M. Bradley
    Awesome! Can you send me pictures of your 430. I discussed lowering the suspension and he mentioned the work he has done for your car.