Drove an Alfa Romeo 4C... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Drove an Alfa Romeo 4C...

Discussion in '308/328' started by hanknum, Sep 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I've owned a 4C for 2.5 years now and had a Cayman GT4 briefly last year (which I traded on a 981 Boxster Spyder). The GT4 feels like a luxury cruiser in comparison to the 4C so they really aren't comparable at all IMHO. The comparison to the 430 Scuderia is the most accurate way to look at the 4C as that is the only other car I've owned that comes close to the raw nature of the little Alfa. It is a fantastic car for the money but will not suit all tastes which is fine as it was only ever intended to be a niche model.

2. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Yeah, I heard that AR is losing $5-10k on each car. Guess they wanted to be noticed when they came back to the US. Kind of makes sense, they have been away for some 20 years and the latest generation probably has no idea what an Alfa "Romero" is. AR needed to announce their return, but from what I've heard, the 4C sales have almost come to a stand still. We'll have to see what sedan sales do. I would not be surprised if AR pulled up stakes again from the US.

I don't think the 4C was ever intended as a DD...it is too extreme and unforgiving. It is a wonderful driver's car though.

Man! All you guys gushing about the 4C has got me thinking about it again...

For me though, I think the prudent thing to do is wait for them to depreciate fully (probably won't be long, and not too much) and then think about adding one then. As long as they are still being sold new, the used ones will go down.

3. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    Sounds like several owners here, but how many have it as the sole "sport car" or weekend car?

And I'm curious how people who want a classic raw feel are ok with it not being a 6MT. Is it not less involving being paddle based?

4. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Frankly when I drive the 4c I'm too busy paying attention to the road/steering and managing the boost that I'm glad it's paddleshift.

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    The Evora is not a fibre tub, they use an aluminium chassis with bolt-on panels so quite practical for repair.

6. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login In July 2015, I bought a launch edition 4C (#412 of 500) over the internet while drinking on the beach in Mexico. Never saw one in person, never drove one. Pretty dumb one would think.

I have had all kinds of 911s, a Cayman S, and a couple of Maseratis. All great cars for sure. But none of them ever put a smile on my face every time I drove it like the 4C. I mean every time coming up on three years now. In fact this the longest I kept a sports car.

It is an unapologetic car. Stero sucks. Switchgear sucks. If you are over 6 foot like me, seating position sucks. Dry clutch takes a minute to warm up to not be jerky. Storage sucks. But, I don't care at all. For some reason, I even like its ****ty attitude toward such things. If you miss driving, and I mean driving, this car will capture you.

My car has 5k miles. I drive it at least once a week. No issues. Bought for a little over 72k (full sticker b/c at that time it was hard to do even that). Now, this car in a private sale shows numbers around 55k USD.

I have always wanted a Ferrari and am looking at used Californias and FFs right now - and selling the 4C to do so. But, every time I get in this thing ....... I drove a 458 throughout Tuscany in May 2016 while on vacation. My lead car for that day was a brand new 4C. Every village, every stop, everyone flocked over the 4C. That said, the 458 may be the only car that can replace the driving passion I have for this 4C. But, they are still outside what I want to spend for my 2nd car. Knowing the CAli and FF are totally different cars that offer much more usability, I will see if the can stir the same driving passion.

JuLiTrO, dflett and mcomet like this.
  7. randalrhodes

randalrhodes Rookie

Aug 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    I don't own a Ferrari, plan to, but not quite yet. I was driving a Cayman. Finances improving started looking into getting into something more exotic. Test drove a 06 Gallardo, a 03 Ferrari 360. Loved the power, didn't care for the dated interiors. Test drove and immediately bought the 4C. It's an amazing little "baby Ferrari". Something to hold me over until I can buy a later model Ferrari. If you want a fun little car, this is the one to have.

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Do I remember correctly Mayor, when the car was introduced you said "it was the car Ferrari forgot how to make!"

9. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I was going to look at Alfa but in the sedan version. Then out came this Stinger from Kia which I didn't know to either laugh or look at. So as the weather gets better here I'll do a little scouting to see what they are like.

10. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    As a long time 308/328 owner, occasional Alfa owner -and forever spaghetti car geek- I was very excited to hear of Alfa's decision to produce the 4C. When the car first launched, I was saddened to hear that it suffered from tricky steering (bump steer and tramlining on all but the best surfaces). Alfa attempted to address these issues with the "pit stop program" for early cars. While this was an improvement, it didn't really cure the problem. I am happy to report that Alfaworks in the UK offers a suspension/ alignment kit that through caster and camber adjustments, really makes the 4C the car it should have been all along. I suppose that all of the lackluster reviews about the car have led to it's lackluster sales. As these cars are nearing the end of their production life and are deep in their depreciation curve, they represent a tremendous opportunity for enthusiasts to enjoy a great bargain. With all of the inexpensive remedies available to fully sort a 4C into a truly formidable car, they are seriously worth reconsidering. With likely fewer than 2000 units landing on our shores before production ends, I don't think there will be many good ones to be had once the word gets around. With mint condition high spec. examples selling for $45-$50 (bad ones for less) I don't see a downside.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

galt and Milkshaker0007 like this.
  11. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Good thing is that you can now purchase a 4C for under $50k. I sat in one and it is tiny and hard to get into. It would not work for me. It is an interesting car though....

12. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    From what I can tell the steering issue was really only a problem on the early cars. The Spiders and later coupes seem to be fine as long as the alignment is set properly.

From my personal experience I bought a new spider fully intending to do the Jamie's Blocks but when I drove the car it was fine as is and didn't need the blocks. The three other late model owners I know have said the same.

Regarding the car itself it offers a fantastic driving experience that is hard to replicate at any price. Like a mini carbon tubbed Scuderia cross bread with a lotus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Michael Call and G. Pepper like this.
  13. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
  14. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    If you are looking for an Alfa 4C I would wait a bit.
    I believe prices will drop when Alpine A110 arrives to market

15. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    is it going to be available in the US? Seems like a really hard sell in the US market with no proper dealer network..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

16. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Love those side-by-sides, as tiny as the 4C is the 308 makes it look BIG.

17. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    You are right. It seems it wont be available in USA in 2018

galt likes this.