Mondi's winter service report | FerrariChat

Mondi's winter service report

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PBonneau, Mar 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi, everyone!

My 1986 3.2 Cabriolet has just returned from winter service at Carobu Engineering in Estancia, NM. I live in Albuquerque, NM. Bert Wehr, the proprietor of Carobu, is an artisan someone once referred to as "The Ferrari Whisperer". I feel very fortunate to live nearby. (Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Carobu Engineering; I am just a customer.)

I had Bert work on two systems: suspension and brakes. Here's the report...

Suspension: My suspension was all original. Like many of you I thought the Mondial would look better if lowered. With that in mind, the original springs were replaced with Eibachs of a similar spring rate. The original dampers were rebuilt and an adjustable spring-perch added. New bushing were added, too. The car has been lowered. The adjustable spring-perch allows for lowering the car to wherever I want.

Brakes: My brakes were all original. The calipers were rebuilt, and new rotors and pads installed. The flexible brake lines were replaced, and the brake fluid was changed, too.

I have included before and after photos of my Mondial. The photo with the top down shows the car in its factory stance. The photo with the top up shows the car in its new lower configuration. I may make adjustments to the ride height; all I have to do is use a spanner wrench and raise or lower the car as I wish. So easy!

More information on lowering your Mondial as I have done can be obtained at www.carobu.com, or [email protected].

Philippe

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Allen S., StuR, Roward7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
  3. Raptor512BB

Raptor512BB Rookie

Mar 17, 2007
    H ! how much did he ask for the job on the shocks ? Do you have pictures of them ?

4. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
  5. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    Love that color combination! Ride height looks good as well. Any noticeable change ride quality or handling?

6. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    As you might imagine, the ride quality is smoother now that the dampers have been replaced. The old ones were pretty stiff after 32 years. Now when I go over bumps or into cracks/depressions the suspension is much more compliant. The handling in corners feels much the same as before. Thanks for asking!