Red California in DC | FerrariChat

Red California in DC

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by asodimazzi, Mar 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asodimazzi

asodimazzi Rookie

Feb 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Angelo Marletta
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I took a quick look at the CarFax and am a bit puzzled by all the separate service trips for safety inspections, emissions inspections, and what should have been routine maintenance, one of which was to a BMW dealer, while the car seemed to still be in warranty with the selling dealer nearby. Personally, I found it somewhat of a red flag that the car was sent to auction. Maybe there is a story here.

You can run the VIN thru iseecars.com which has additional info to the CarFax and links to check for recalls, theft, etc. You might also want to look in the California section of FChat for problem issues- typically top sensors and transmission.

I no longer live in the Arlington area but recall that parts of Glebe Road have questionable dealers. In fact, that dealer's web site is offering a free daily driver with purchase of a any car, which seems a little gimmicky. I'm sure there are other FChatters closer by who may have more relevant feedback.

Good luck! Just do your due diligence.

3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    As stated, those are rather shady "mom and pop" here today, gone tomorrow dealerships. I would walk away, don't make your first Ferrari purchase a regret.

4. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I disagree - why shady...because they don’t have a glass showroom and service center? One should really back up a claim/comment with facts if your going to make a disparaging remark(s) about someone’s business and deliberately hurt them with rumor and innuendo.

I’ve never bought from them, but have looked at a few cars they’ve had over the years killing time, interacted with sales staff, and am familar with their lot in Arlington. They have been around for years and are just the typical small quick turn retail/wholesale outfit (clean it up, put it up for sale) that is run by what appears to be a family of middle eastern decent.

Most of their cars come from local wholesale deals or auctions in PA or VA. It appears the have a limited floor plan and slash prices quick to move aging inventory.

5. asodimazzi

asodimazzi Rookie

Feb 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Angelo Marletta
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I’ll do more research and ask them questions to understand the history of the car. Meanwhile does anyone know a good Ferrari mechanic near the dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I cannot comment on the dealer other than to say they are just up the road from Maserati of Arlington.

I can comment on BMW doing the smog and safety inspections. There are quite a few Ferrari owners who take their cars to BMW shops for inspections (me included) as they are recommended by independent Ferrari shops, particularly a couple guys that used to be at FoW.... The inspections on that car in question don’t look out of line to me. Usually, the annual smog and safety are done at the same time. And they have to be done at a state-licensed facility, not all shops are. However, they can also get out of cycle with each other making it appear at first glance like they are happening too frequently. The inspections look like they are occurring on a normal yearly basis.

I would think a thorough PPI should tell you what you need to know.

I live nearby so if you’d like me to go look at it, send me a PM.

7. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Angelo, I can't recommend a Ferrari mechanic in the "Immediate" area of where you're looking. The two independent shops I would recommend in the DC Metro area are:

Competizione - They are located in Gaithersburg, MD

Loco Exotics - They are located in Sterling, VA (out near Dulles Airport).

BTW - Maserati of Arlington is under major renovation. That's why the majority of their inventory is a FoW. I'm sure their garage is still open during construction though. I just wanted to throw that out there in case you stop by and wonder what's going on.

Bill P.

8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Angelo,

Buon giorno. Ispezionato la macchina questa mattina. Ecco cosa ho scoperto:

The car was originally sold by Ferrari of Washington here in DC. Two owners, both local. The 2nd owner traded it in at FoW for a 488. FoW could not certify it for resale (do not know why it didn’t meet their criteria) so turned it over to the auction house in PA, where Merlex bought it. They’ve had the car for about one month.

Exterior
    The exterior is in better shape that the photos / website indicate. There are approximately 5-6 small rock chips in the front, mostly around the upper nose. They are easily remedied. There is a small scuff on the right rear quarter, just above the wheel arch. Looks like a door ding left left some blue paint on the car. The metal is not bent and the paint finish unscathed. It would easily buff out. There are quite a lot of swirl marks in the paint, but nothing a good color-sand won’t cure. With a good detail, the exterior would easily be a 9.5 cosmetically.

Three of the wheels are pristine. However, the front right has some curb rash. It appears the car ran up and over a parking lot stanchion or a curb. This scraped the wheel, the underside of the right side rocker panel and broke a section of the rear diffuser off. I couldn’t see any more damage or more of the underside as they didn’t have a lift. This would definitely need further inspection.

All glass is original and clear with no marks or chips.

The engine bay had not been cleaned but was in very nice shape given the mileage. No obvious signs of leaks, damage, or repairs.

Interior
    I found this odd but the interior of the car had not been cleaned or prepped in any way. It was quite dirty. Someone spilled a Fanta or some liquid inside the center console. The dash and center console were particularly dirty. It appears the owner ate while driving and had left food smudges on the center display screen. The carpets had been removed, cleaned, and were stowed in the trunk. They looked to be in very nice condition. The seats are in fairly nice shape. However, the drivers bolster is quite warn. The piping has been worn along the lower seat belt line, and there are two 3-4 inch scuff marks low on the inner left drivers bolster. The scuffs could be addressed, but the piping is another story. The back seats are pristine. I have to say the Daytona seats, with their contrasting stripes in suede, look phenomenal !!

The headliner is mint, clean, and absolutely no wrinkles or marks.

The upper dash looked fine both from inside and outside the car. The area around the keyhole has a lot of very small marks, perhaps from the key or key chain? They don’t appear to be too bad and most should come out with a good cleaning.

The boot was nice and tidy, with no issues noted. The owners manual is there and seems to have everything in it. However, I think it must have gotten in the way of the convertible top mechanism as the contents were damaged. There is a CTEK battery charger. Also in the boot was the case for the wind deflector, but the deflector itself is missing. There is a photocopy of the original window sticker. It shows the car came with a very very nice set of (very expensive) options.

I did not drive the car nor did I have them start it. I also did not test any of the electrical components.

My Evaluation
    Overall, the car is in very nice condition for its age and mileage. Although dirty, it does not appear to have been abused and treated harshly and should clean up nicely. THE DAMAGE TO THE UNDERSIDE DEMANDS A VERY THOROUGH PPI. With a good cleaning and detailing, the car will easily be a 9.5 cosmetically.

The following factors will depress the value:
    High mileage (over 10K)
    Underside damage
    Drivers seat bolster and piping
    Early 2010
    Upper dash color

I don’t watch the California market very closely, but the first generation Cali’s seem to be $100-120K. As long as this car passes a PPI and is sound mechanically, I think $90K would seem a fair deal. But I'll let the experts here weigh in will more advice and opinions.

BTW - I don't believe Competizione performs PPIs. Not sure about FoW, and I’ve never heard of Loco Exotics.

Se volete piu informazione, saro felice di ispezionare nuovamente la macchina. Sono anche felice di discutere la macchina via telefono. Mi scriva tu numero e ti chiamero.
    Reguardi,
    Davide

9. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I feel kind of vindicated

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Their entire inventory consists of very high-end cars, all very good looking.
    They seemed to be very forthcoming about the car.
    I wouldn’t hesitate to consider a car on their lot,
    But I also Would Not do it without a PPI.

11. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've never cared, large dealer vs small dealer. It's all about the car and the PPI.

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Loco is Greg Miller the former service Mngr at FoW so you can't go wrong with using him.

Buckwest and Piper like this.