BOTH door locks jammed - can't get into the car?! :( | FerrariChat

BOTH door locks jammed - can't get into the car?! :(

Discussion in '360/430' started by billy.gif, Mar 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    After doing search for 7 pages I decided to make yet another topic about these darn door locks of 360 / 430.

My passenger door started to show some issues at the end of the last summer. Meaning that the door latch wouldn't always let me close the door. Sometimes it needed 2 tries, sometimes 10. Then it just seized when it was closed meaning that I couldn't open passenger door not from inside nor from outside. Outside latch was soft and inside latch was so stiff that I were afraid to broke it if applying too much force. Therefore the central locking would try to open locks like 5 times (cycling between lock - unlock, lock-unlock, lock-unlock) and I had to open driver door at certain time in order to get it open.

I decided to tackle the problem when my trusted mechanic would do the spring fluid change to the car. As here in Finland you can't drive these things around the year.

Last time I visited my bella was at the Christmas Eve and driver door was all good. But now, after 2,5 months of winter hibernation it won anymore let me open the driver's door, meaning I can't get inside of the car?! Battery is fully charged as its connected to the Ctek battery tender. For record I'm having no heating at my garage space so sometimes temperatures were down to like 25F / -4C, if this affects anything?

Passenger side door latch has stayed as it was; I cannot be opened from outside via latch (as its soft, 0 resistance) and turning the key manually at that lock won't do anything but cycle locks once "unlock-lock".

Driver side door latch is having resistance but it wont open the door even while turning key manually at the lock, lock only cycles once "unlock-lock". No matter how many times I try, latch wont pop door open. And yeah, I've applied so much force what I think is possible without breaking the latch.

Temperature at the garage is like 34F / +1C.

Is there any other way to get into the car except breaking the glass?

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Try the key to unlock and lock the drivers door. Then retry the outer door handle.
    Does the window drop when you pull the handle up?
    Worst case scenario I'd try to use a long wire to pull the inner door handle upward. put it gently through the window and the door seal.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Suggest getting a long extension cord to the garage and an electric hair dryer and gently heat the lock, the door handle, and the area around where the latch is located internally. Then try to open with the key again. If you get the door open, I would suggest cleaning off as much dirt and grease as you can reach with solvent and spraying WD-40 on those parts. Sounds like something might be jamming due to dirt/corrosion coupled with the cold temperatures since both inside and outside door handles won't move.

4. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    I tried that after searching trough many of these "lock problem" topics here. The driver side lock does same thing that passenger side lock: It makes the "lock-unlock" type-of-sound and stops there. Window does lower IF I simultaneously pull the opening latch. I've applied as much force to the latch as I really dare.

Yes, my mechanic is actually waiting me to transfer the car to the workshop for the spring service and repair & lubrication of the passenger door mechanism. Only problem being that I cannot get into the car.

I assume there's no way to get into the car without breaking the glass?

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^ A slim jim (lockout tool) might work. But since something might be binding in each door, try to take a look at a schematic of the inside of a door to determine if it is possible to pull the required lever. Do some research on google. Here is a link I found which describes variations of the practice: https://www.wikihow.com/Break-Into-a-Car

6. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I don't know if I would resort to breaking the glass just yet. Did you try lifting the handle and gently banging on the door near the latching mechanism. It may jar it enough to release it.

7. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    You said that the window goes down if you simultaneously pull the opening latch. Does that give you enough space to use a slim jim/coat hanger to pull the latch inside?

8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I had the same problem one winter on my 430 spider. Once the window lowers, long wire with a hook and managed to get it open. Took about an hour and the patience of a saint though.

9. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Passenger side the inside door latch is stuck as the outside latch has no resistance what so ever. Driver's side I need go'n try out, but I'm afraid its same thing.

Some PM'd me and said that its due to the cold weather, outside temperatures have been around 15F / -10C for past 3 weeks and therefore temperature inside of the garage has been around 25 to 35F or -4 to +1 C for same period of time.

Has anyone managed to get some locksmith to break into their 360 / 430 etc.? Or will the seemingly broken / stuck lock mechanism prevent that?

10. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Are you able to plug a heater in overnight to get the garage temperatures up? I'd try just about everything else before I start breaking windows...

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    This is what I would do personally.

12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The problem is due to a seized outside handle release cable. Do a search on it for 360/430's. In order to open the door, you need to go down between the outer door skin and the glass with a long screwdriver in order to push the lever on the latch that is operated by the outside release handle. Then you will be able to unlock the latch.

billy.gif and energy88 like this.
  13. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Thank you for the suggestion! I'm not 100% sure which of the Iever inside the door you mean. Is the said lever this pointed with red thin arrow:

[​IMG]

Or the one at upper left portion of this picture:

[​IMG]

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It is the lever with the thin red arrow pointed to it. The cable with the white arrow pointed to it goes to the outside door release handle. Over time this cable seizes up and jams in the open position. This leaves the outside release lever feeling loose with no spring resistance pulling it back.

When the latch has the lever with the red arrow in the open position ( to the left in the upper photo), the door locks will jam and you will not be able to open the door. You have to get a long screwdriver down in the door between the glass and door and push the lever to the right in order for the latch to unlock.

billy.gif likes this.
  15. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Update & solution:

We heated the driver side lock and area below it with a ... "heat gun". With patience and cautious approach it took like 10min until the door was totally warm, not too hot! Then few jiggles with lock and latch and the door opened! :) So the mechanism was just kind of frozen seized because of the constant temps of around 20 to 30F or -5 to 0C for past 2,5 months and car being not used nor visited during that time.

I started her up and put full heat into the cabin for +30 min and opened-closed door several times. As the spring service and repair & lubrication for both doors is 2 days from now and the temps are going down. I'll report if she is doing same at Wednesday (this being Monday afternoon).

Thanks for everyone coping yet again one new "HELP my locks aren't working" -tread :oops:

cpep and energy88 like this.
  16. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Glad you got her open! Will you flatbed her to your garagist? I'm guessing you don't want to drive her all the way there yet?

17. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    glad you didn't have to resort to breaking the window!

18. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Its like 20 km or 15 miles trip so I'll drive the car. Shes not a garage queen anyhow, having near 55k miles on the odometer already. But yea, thanks for each and everyone for the tips and hints, I'll definitely add this to my bookmarks.

19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I'd recommend leaving a window down in the meantime so you can still get in the car and not setting the alarm until you can get the door locks and cables properly inspected.

20. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I'm glad you got into the car. I don't know call me paranoid but if it were me I think I would just replace all the cables with new for peace of mind. I have read and heard the the doors will break on the 360s and I'd tend to want to be more cautious. Just my humble oppinion

21. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    So this has now happened to me on the passenger side. Pass door will not open with neither the inside nor outside openers. Luckily my roof was down so I was able to help my wife climb out of the car in the garage and save on the embarrassment of doing it in public.

With the roof and window down I was also able to get the door card off. The cable attached to the inside armrest did not do anything as well as it is slipping out of the yellow thingy that holds it to the inside latch

(1) Are those still available to purchase? I know the cables are not.
    (2) The new latch assemblies
    -------> RH door lock with cables: 69993100
    -------> LH door lock with cables: 68993200

Are these any better that what I have already. I read somewhere that with these newer ones this problem so many of us are having will be diminished.

Following "spiderscot", "gtrandbleu" & Motab's advise (above) I was able to get the door open by moving the lever he instructed to move.

Attached Files:

22. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    (3) The attachment circled in red, is that a ball/socket arrangement and a flat head screwdriver will separate?

I need to get the cables out to ne able to, I don't know, try and lube them or if I had to replace provide me with the correct length.

Please and thanks.
    Fred

23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I had to do mine at the start of summer,
    If I recall, it’s an S shape wire end that goes through the hole and the yellow plastic clips in place.
    Edit: sorry, my bad, I was referring to the other end of the cable, circled in blue.
    Red should be ball and socket, can’t completely remember though. But that’s what it looks like.

24. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks dude. I didn't want to pry and break it.

25. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    interestingly, there was a new video posted on youtube a few days ago talking about this exact topic and it might help you out:

Red 27 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.