Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you Phil, i already ordered the mats at ElvetioEsposito in Italy - another thank you goes to Charles for that hint!

2. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    Hello Olaf,

you interior looks promising. good that you kept the leather ...

try this italian supplier for rubber mats:
    http://www.cicognaniguarnizioni.it/Maserati-153/mexico-153-k22/serie-tappetini-battitacco--mexico-15322000_5315

In case you are in a hurry:
    I have a set stored since I am not needing it for the next month/years. You can have my set and return another one later.

Best,
    Marek

3. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Steve, well done! My Mexico in Melbourne is at a similar stage and has been on the go now for two years. I cannot post anymore pictures in this forum due to capacity limits but I am writing an article on the restoration for our local Maserati club that I will post when done.

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
  5. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
  6. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Marc Sonnery has a glaring omission in his excellent book about the collaboration between Citroen and Maserati in the 70s: May i present to you the MehaMexico, a one-off which unfortunately did not make it into production. Just this one picture is all we have ;)
    This is the actual Mexico engine which is now in my car transported in style in the south of France. The former owner of that engine found the picture and it was very nice of him to send it to me. I doubt that the engine would have helped the poor Mehari even in working order with its weight.

A big thank you goes to Nice and Ludovic, 12 points from the german jury......

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Dr. K.

Dr. K. Karting

Mar 23, 2011
    What a great picture!!!

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hahah just saw this, my publisher and I must rush to reprint the book with this important addition;-)!

9. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Here we go. The trim shop is finished, the rubber mats arrived. Here is the final state of the seats with seatbelts and (easily removable) headrests. They are from a BMW E30 and very comfortable, and they adapt great to the seats. Very comfy too - Disclaimer: I know it is not original, but when you remove them it looks perfectly original - the car is going to be a drivers car, not a show queen......

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Oishi likes this.
  10. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Looking Good lbird !!!!!

Mike

11. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Just read your thread.
    Fascinating work, your Maser will be better than new.
    I admire the way you have not cut corners for quality, looking for the original configuration and pieces all around and refabricated missing items when necessary.
    Several years of work now, but the completion and final road test are now approaching!
    I don't dare asking you how much money you have poured in your project, certainly a lot, but reward also comes from the pleasure of reviving and preserving such a nice car and from the work itself.
    Congrats!

lbird likes this.
  12. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Had a nice visit at the workshop today - a lot of work has been done during the last week. Engine bay is 99% finished, trunk and hood are mounted and fit really well. The trunk almost works now, it dows not stay open on its own but we will try to apply more pressure to the springs, hopefully it will work then. The trunk locking mechanism is a story of its own, my friend spend some time locked in the trunk with a flashlight to get the hook into the right angle. What a mechanical nightmare.

What is left on the todo list?
    - Fit the radio and an antenna. Where is the speaker originally located? Unter the glove box?
    - Install drivers side mirror and rear view mirror
    - Apply door trim and make it fit 100%.
    - Refabricate the outer chrome strip on the drivers side door (will be remade in England)
    - Install front and rear window (i hope it won't break during that - are there any replacement front screens available somewhere?)
    - Test drive

A detailing question: We have a cable with permanent power appearing behind the mounting point of the rearview mirror inside. Does anybody know what was powered by that cable? A light in the mirror?

Here is the evidence in pictures - I like it very much....

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver

Lbird, that looks fantastic. Many congratulations.
    Did any Mexico have rear view mirrors like the Lancia fulvia with integral light?
    Look forward to news of the first drive. Just in time for Spring!

Best regards.

Mark.

14. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  15. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  16. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird...

Car is looking great !!!

Mike

17. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you guys for the kind words and the information regarding the mirror and the glass, the last time i checked with Pilkington the Mexico screen was listed as not available, but now they probably made a new batch...
    I will search for such a mirror, but in the meantime i have another one without the light which will be installed until i find an original one.

One question remains: How about the radio speaker? Where does it sit originally?

18. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Speakers were originally integrated on the rear shelf of the car. Only two which not really good for the sound. I never seen speakers on the front except with modern installation (under the dashboard, never on the front door panels).

19. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  20. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  21. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you, that confirms my thoughts. I am not putting any speakers under the rear shelf or behind the rear panels. I won't have any sound to speak of besides the engine music anyway, so i will mount one very small modern removable speaker invisibly under the dashboard, just to hear the news once in a while.....

22. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird... On my car, 112-074, a relatively early car, the speaker was on one side of the rear shelf. The other side of the
    rear shelf contains a rear defogger... When I owned my QP1, which was also a 1967 model, like my Mexico, it was the same.
    Let me know if you need a picture....

Wilde, please correct me if I am wrong on this...

Mike

23. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Yes, probably correct on your early car. I assume you don't have heated rear screen. The option appears to be standard later in the production...

24. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thats true. I have no hole whatsoever in my rear shelf, no speakers and no defroster but a heated rear screen. The defroster should be a series 1 only thing, and the speakers in the series 2 should sit behind the rear side panels as wilde showed in his pictures. It is so funny how many small but important differences are between series 1 and 2....

25. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Another milestone has been reached: The windows are in the car, the new rubber from Cicognanni worked pretty well and the glass fits (and nothing broke). Additionally the door trim and a myriad of smaller trim parts were added and fixed. In this post i will show you guys some pictures how the car looks now - but in my second post i will detail a number of questions i have and you can hopefully help me to get some answers. First the pictures:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login