Do the FIA and F1 even understand racing? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do the FIA and F1 even understand racing?

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Mar 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    It's Vettel mate ...and Malaysia.

2. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    One of the best things about F1 is watching how the teams interpret the rulebook. Liberty better be careful not to over regulate the sport to the point of making it a spec series. Nascar was killed by making it a spec series and indycar to a certain extent as well. F1 being the premier racing series in the world should be left to some extent an "open class" and let the engineers do their thing.

G. Pepper likes this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    To answer the thread question, no they do not.

Especially the FIA. What they've done now for Formula E is laughable: They've taken away a point for fastest lap, and instead GIVE a point for the car that was the most economic! It has NOTHING to do with racing, zero.

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Did you not read Liberty Media boss Greg Maffei's recent comments? (From: http://en.f1i.com/news/295328-liberty-surprised-discord-teams.html ) :

Maffei explained that the reason Liberty's proposals are ruffling the feathers of top teams is as commitment to levelling the competitive playing field.

".....We want to create the NFL perspective, where on any given Sunday somebody can win," he added. "There's some tension around that."

They are never going to achieve that by allowing the engineers a degree of free reign to develop what they like - History has shown that that more often than not leads to racing dominance by a single team.

Arguments are made that, by allowing the teams complete free reign for development, the teams who are lagging behind can catch up with a dominant team. Sometimes that does happen, and sometimes it goes the other way, with the dominant team gaining further advantages by being just as free to develop their cars too.

One of the biggest problems with free development is, it costs Millions of Dollars, and that goes against Liberty Media's plan to reduce the costs in F1 to try to encourage more teams from entering. Liberty Media are still trying looking to implement a budget cap for the sport, and should that happen, how can you have free development?

I hate to break it to you, but Liberty Media's idea for the future of F1 is exactly what you dread - A stock series where the cars are basically identical, where any of the teams/drivers can win if they're good enough/lucky enough. Liberty Media want an unpredictable crap-shoot on a Sunday, where the only advantage any team might have, is how good their driver is.

F1 fans are up in arms with this concept, because as they rightly state: "That's not what F1 is all about". The funny thing is though, those same F1 fans have been complaining for the last 20 years + that F1 races are in general, boring, predictable processions, where a single team dominates the season, and no one else gets a look in. F1 fans are a fickle bunch - They call for closer racing, but then campaign against the one measure that would guarantee closer racing - Identical cars!

Ferrari are also up in arms about this concept for the exact same reason's as the fans - It's not what F1 is about.

With an artificially created level playing field, where is the prestige in winning the WDC/WCC?

Ferrari don't want to be racing in a series where they are seen as being at the exact same level as the likes of Sauber/Force India/Toro Rosso, and having to use the exact same parts as those teams, in order to create the desired closer racing. That's why they have threatened to quite the sport. If it's going to become any sort of "stock series", Ferrari want no part of it!

Personally speaking, I'd hate to see F1 become a "stock series". Yes it can be a frustrating sport when one team dominates (okay, if I'm being honest - It's a frustrating sport when any other team than Ferrari is dominating! ;) ), but begrudgingly, I always accept that it's simply due to the other team doing a better job than everybody else, and give credit where it's due. Should the sport become a "stock series", then My interest in the sport would most likely end (and it will definitely end if Ferrari leave!).

Right now, I'm amazed that Liberty Media aren't calling for "success ballast" to be introduced into the sport, where the winning car has to carry more and more additional ballast in each race until their performance advantage has been pegged back to match the chasing pack - Surely that idea can only be a matter of time? :confused:

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

The only way to achieve a level playing field is by having everyone with exactly the same car....and even then they'll need success ballast as we'll basically only have the top 6 drivers winning, really. F2 last year only had 3 different feature race winners.

6. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Max absolutely had a great deal to do with the hybrid and turbo era...the halo is Todt’s.

7. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    #32 vinuneuro, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    He was gone by mid-09 and had zero to do with the current power unit regulations. They had just introduced KERS for the first time in 2009 and no one was even talking about this formula at that point.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  8. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I respectfully disagree. I remember it and the journos/articles seem to remember it that way, too...note that the fourth article was written in 2006. Energy recovery, turbos, and green were very much a part of Max’s dialog when he was still in charge...

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/f1/max-mosley-speaks-out/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2602858/Max-Mosley-takes-blame-F1s-new-noise-James-Hunts-son-set-follow-fathers-footsteps.html

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/videos/a16901/f1s-radical-new-rules-for-2013/

https://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/18/turbos-coming-back-to-f1-in-2011/

https://theparcferme.com/mosleys-v6-turbo-has-come-to-kill-us-all/

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've had the Video Pass for Moto GP for several seasons now. Watching the live feed is fantastic, and Moto 3, Moto 2, and Moto GP all in a row makes for a fantastic "day" of being a racing fan. I put day is scare quotes because some of the races come on in the wee hours of the morning here. Moto GP is the only racing series I follow anymore. I saw one F1 race last season, and it happened to be their one two finish. Just not interested in Formula Merc anymore.

10. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I'm happy to concede when I'm wrong; had no idea it started back then. Thanks Max. :/

11. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    The other funny part of it is that Renault was standing right next to Max...threatening to quit if the regulations did not move towards relevancy...

People with short memories blame Mercedes and Todt.

vinuneuro likes this.
  12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  13. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    It was definitely Renault who pushed the hardest for it. But they sat on their hands for a bit while Merc got to work. It's never fun to have one team dominate but Merc deserves every bit of success they've enjoyed.

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    cool. Thanks.

15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Meanwhile first 12 riders on the MotoGP are covered by approximately 1 second after final qualifying for their season opener....

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

You realise he means Max Mosley, not Maxine the red bull driver? Letting anti-Vettel bias get the better of you a bit