Apple CarPlay on Portofino $4,219 - Is that a price list typo? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Apple CarPlay on Portofino $4,219 - Is that a price list typo?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by F430 Driver, Feb 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    LOL. That’s all you got when proven wrong??

2. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    You really have impressed me with all your knowledge of derivatives. You must be an expert in everything financial. Lol. What’s the name of this magnificent hedge fund anyway. I’m sure I know people there if it and you are such a hot shot

DGPF likes this.
  3. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    I’ve worked for both J.Aron FICC and Bridgewater. I will not reveal where I work now. I can price a car. Can you??

4. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Lol. You must be killing it. I find it even more amusing that just a couple short month ago you were nickel and diming it on getting your first f car, a 2010 Cali, and the you claim to know so much about the brand based on selling derivatives! Lol. Did you buy your car with bitcoins.....hahaha

SilverLeaf and DGPF like this.
  5. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    Again, What does it matter?? Does that make my arguments any less true?? Does that make you any more correct that no Ferrari option retains its full value (wrong, of course)??

I paid cash and could have bought any Ferrari up to a F12 TDF if I really wanted (not that it matters).

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have bought many new and many used Ferraris .. and know all about the 4200 cup holder etc that I have purchased... my last New one had $130k in options . BUT the APPLE CAR PLAY is a brand name and is available and standard in $25K cars and is directly comparable... no other options are so yes it would bother me to pay $4000 for apple car play but does not bother me to spend 40K in carbon fiber .....
    just my 2cents

andruslik and F430 Driver like this.
  7. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Yup. Overpaying for carbon or some of the other options while wildly overpriced is easier to accept. However, we are all smart enough to know there is no cost generally speaking to Apple Carplay (ACP). On principal, it's just too much of a pill to swallow. If they really needed the 4k should have priced it into the car and included ACP at N/C. I'm a Ferrari shareholder too and it's just a bridge too far on that option.

Apple should insist it be a no-cost item actually as part of the license deal. I would think you would want as many people using ACP as possible. Increase your ecosystem usage & stickiness. Just seems like bad biz for both Apple and Ferrari here. As a logical thinker and successful businessman I still can't wrap my head around either companies decision on this item.

8. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    If 4k for Carplay and 6k for front camera sounds unreasonable in the US, imagine how much those options will cost in high tax countries like mine. Probably 6k for Car Play and 9k for front camera? *yikes*

I don't mind paying a premium for nice things but c'mon, wealthy people are not stupid which is why they are wealthy in the first place (ok, at least those who made it themselves). I don't even remember Porsche charging extra for Car Play for their 911's.

And speaking of Porsche, I sold one of my older 911's recently and realized that I lost the cigarette adaptor. Since I wanted to be fair to the new owner, I offered to get him a new one. I checked online expecting to pay a big premium for an accessory nobody uses anymore and viola! only $20 bucks for one lol

9. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    In my 991.2 Porsche Targa GTS CarPlay was standard with the car,. If Porsche can do it Ferrari can too, this is nothing but a money grab.

DGPF, OwenC and F430 Driver like this.
  10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    My nicely spec'd 2017 Cali T HS was $240k and I added the homelink mirror and backup camera (about $5k for the two) at no cost after delivery. I wasn't the person that spec'd the car but it's what I would have spec'd except for those two options. I paid MSRP on the car because it was untitled. I get the new buyer treatment from Ferrari which is pretty nice.

I am however, more particular about some options than others. My car has heated and ventilated seats, the Portofino doesn't retain that option and it's actually only available in the Cali T after 2016 so not many have that. My seats have alcantara inserts which are also not yet available on the Portofino. I use the LEDs on the steering wheel and both the heating and ventilation of the seats regularly although not nearly as much the heating as the other two. I am having a real hard time considering any other Ferrari without the alcantara inserts and heated and ventilated seats. That is how important that option was to me.

Besides the bath that I would take on depreciation, I would be buying a new car with all kinds of possible bugs and I have the best of the breed for my existing car. I have the best options they ever offered on the car and the best and most updated mechanical components due to the learning curve. Apple carplay isn't something I would pay for because I use Samsung phones. Options are subjective, I won't even consider a car with racing seats or without full electric seats and I can live without premium hifi even though I spec'd it for the Portofino. The spec I created was $274k.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    One point on Car Play- in theory at least- it will allow you to have the latest Apple apps on your x year old car. So its a way to somewhat future proof the nav, and other in car electronic options. I can't say what it will be worth in the future, but I do believe all other things being equal, a car with CarPlay will be more desirable than a car without. At least, it would be more desirable to me! :)

12. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I can certainly see the value in having the Apple car play option having seen it in person on the countys new Sheriffs vehicle , but i think back to the point of the post it DOES seem awful high especially compared to others that include car play at no charge. Not exactly sure why the option is so high from Ferrari and unless someone in the know can fill us in we may continue to wonder and speculate. As i stated before, if I were the one making decisions id have just included it and added the cost to the base price of the vehicle. It certainly seems that people want more and more tech in the vehicles they drive. I know that when i bought my new truck in 2013 it had to have navigation and a backup camera. The radio does way more then that but those are the only options on the radio I really cared about. Ironically the radio in that truck is very similar to the early California units.

But on the other hand if it is only Apple friendly all the android uses are gonna be peeved so who knows the "right' thing to do.

13. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    You don't need CarPlay for that... you can just hold a button on your steeling wheel (pushing it yields Ferrari's voice assistant, but HOLDING the button for a second will yield Siri assistant). You can input any direction or text message you desire. Got 99% of CarPlay functionality without paying a single extra penny.

If you don't feel like holding down a button, then just enable the "Hey Siri" feature on your iPhone, this works surprisingly well, even with loud music playing.

14. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Manufacturers pay a licensing fee to Apple. Kia sells hundreds of thousands of cars per year versus Ferrari that sells less than 10k. Obviously it’s gonna cost more per car. Not $4k but something. Given what they charge for carbon fiber, are you really surprised? 5k for a passenger display that costs $200 after all ...

And no it will not add $4k to the cost of a used car. That’s a ridiculous speculation. But, like shields, it may help you sell it faster. I like CarPlay ... it’s cool. It is not $4k cool by any stretch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Apple should be paying car makers to include CarPlay. How do we know they aren’t?

16. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Because apple wants to be paid a royalty for everything apple related. In a way Apple is the Ferrari of cellphones.

17. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Perhaps but in this arrange,ent I see the power in favor of automakers at the moment. Not Apple. Will people have CarPlay be a dealbreaker on any car they buy? Some perhaps but few I would think.

18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Given how fast tech moves, is anyone going to be nostalgic enough for Apple Car Play in a half dozen years to pay a large premium for a used Porto with this option? In the near future, perhaps, but I think as these cars age further, it'll be as useful as the SD SIM card slot on my 911...T

19. DJP

DJP Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I'm a bit late to the discussion, but the Apple Carplay option on my 2015 CaliT was $4,219 as listed on the MSRP. It does seem to work well, and whenever there is an issue simply unplugging/plugging back in acts as a reboot.

I love Carplay...of course I'm not the Ferrari purist who thinks having even a cupholder is overboard ;)

20. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    The Portofino doesn't have heated seats -- either standard or as an option? I find that hard to believe and am probably confused -- did you mean "The Heated AND ventilated seats" combination is no longer an option? Thanks for clarifying. Heated seats are just a must in a convertible. Ventilated seats? Well, not as much....Thanks for clearing up my confusion!

21. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    I think this is correct. My iPhone bluetooth works great with the Cali T's current head unit and microphones/speakers in the car. I like it a lot. For maps, you push Siri and ask for directions and follow your phone's suggestions....CarPlay looks cool and is a nice add.....I suspect that Ferrari has a different pricing license with Apple and therefore just has to charge more per unit. It really is the only thing that makes sense.

22. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Right, no ventilation. No other Ferrari has the ventilated seat option but the Cali T.

23. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Ventilated seats are sure nice on those hot as hades summer days when the seats roast your nether regions. Just pop the ventilated seats on and they cool off fairly quickly saving your nethers from becoming some devilish stew.

24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think full electric includes heated. Can anyone confirm. I'm like az, living in Texas, ventilated would be a nice add. I've seen them on FFs, so not sure why not on the Porto.
    T

25. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I've heard that maybe they might add ventilated seats later since they were in the California but since the seats are different on the portofino they might be a while. But this is all rumor, and no one that knows anything told me this it's all speculation but kinda makes sense.