Paint problen on 488 GTS bicolor | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Paint problen on 488 GTS bicolor

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Kregu, Mar 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Exactly similar to mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    God that’s frustrating. I’m hopinf things work out okay.

3. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Yes really frustrating!
    But it's really unbelievable that Ferrari is denying their faults! They give you 6 years warranty but if you really have a problem then they will not pay for you, so what is that warranty really worth??
    My car has never been washed just the original treatment that you get when the car is delivered, nothing else!
    Well I'm really wondering what they will decide in my case... and I hope that they will not spend weeks or months to reply and finally I have to pay a new paint job by myself anyway ...
    I waited 14 months to get the car, then another 5 months winter time and now another long wait because the factory is not replying and proposing a solution ...
    I should have gone for an Huracan spyder ... less time to get the car and if ever you have a problem, they will fix it a.s.a.p! Italian brand but German quality;-)

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I wonder if its a defect in the clear coat. Looks really bad!

5. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    No definitely not the clear coat, it's deeper looks like depigmentation of the black color... a little bit as the skin disease vitiligo...

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow that's tragic. I've seen clear coats go hazy before, usually from improper application or temperature. The good news is that it can be repaired. I hope it works out for you. For sure, Ferrari should take care of this under warranty. People shouldn't expect their cars to look like this.

7. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I would get an independent shop that specializes in repair and restoration of exotics that the dealership knows of and their reputation to examine the paint and come up with the reason for failure. If it’s defective application and not something that was spilled on the paint they can attest to that and I’m sure the dealer would push Ferrari Spa to fix it.

8. mdslone

mdslone Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    South
    Full Name:
    FerrariM
    I hate to here your situation. That is extremely frustrating. Your car is beautiful. What is the color? Argento?

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    One of many reasons people are leaving the brand.

Jordan68 likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I think its the main colour of your car that is leaching into the black ?

11. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    It is grigio ingrid

of2worlds likes this.
  12. joeacc

joeacc Rookie

Feb 21, 2006
    Do the spots change at all with temperature? I know this may sound odd, but plug in a hair dryer near your car and try heating it up to see if things change at all. You don’t want to melt anything, but just get it good and warm/hot. I have seen paint do miraculous things with heat and it would be worth a try. I have never seen anything like your pictures, and have owned a body shop for 20 years now. Good luck with your paint issue, regardless, it can be resolved.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Strange.

Only thing I’ve seen similar is a problem I had on my Aston after it went to dealer for service. When I picked it up the came up still wet from a wash so I didn’t notice anything but later after it was garaged i found it had a scratch in the door paint and a milky halo around the scratch not unlike the milky white like this tho much smaller.

Had a detailer take a look and he said the paint had been burned by a too aggressive polisher. In fact the whole surface around this showed evidence of a polisher run amok. He could take care of the rest but not this problem. The door had to be repainted. Seems someone scratched the door and tried to polish it out but only made it worse. Never did find out who or how...

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Yes I also thought about this but is there really main color under the black parts if you order the option "bicolor"?
    I cannot image that they first paint the entire car in the main color (in my case grigio ingrid) and after that they just spray black paint over the roof and others ...
    Well one should, in fact, know how they really do it??

15. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    I cannot do anything to the car right now.
    It is blocked at the dealer and they won't let me do anything with it before the factory has replied.
    Today it will be one week that the car is at the dealer's and still no reply from the factory;-(
    This is really unbelievable, I newer ever saw such a bad after sale service in my hole life at another Brand!!!
    My other car is an M4 cabriolet and I drive BMW M cars for over 20 years and at BMW if you have a problem you get an answer from Munich within hours!!

of2worlds likes this.
  16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree- hopefully two separate color applications. Maybe it is primer coming through. Most new owner "first photos" show the body in grey primer as it goes on the assembly line.

17. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Today I got a mail from my dealer saying that the factory decided to repaint the pieces that are whitened under warranty (!!). No other informations....
    I will send pix when the paint job is finished.

18. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Good news .... happy for you .... I should take my dealer to court since he refused to cover it through warranty ... I am sure your car will go back new.... so keep enjoying it in good health

19. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    I think that you should do it!
    You can be sure that I would have done it if he'd have refused to do this paint job under warranty!
    My car was never washed & never wet and had only 112km on the board - it came with 95 km...
    I'm curious the see the result of that repaint.

Jordan68 likes this.
  20. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Do not worry about it .... The repaint will be great ... mine was great too the car paint went back to its normal status and I am enjoying it ... still will think seriously about taking the dealer to the court .... hope you will always enjoy your car ... cheers

21. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    I'm sure that I will;-)

Cheers

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Your car is beautiful, I wish you good luck. It seems like they are doing the right thing by you. I hope it works out.

23. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Thank you very much;)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    why is this a dealer issue? Shouldn't this be something taken up with Ferrari directly? Warranty is not backed by the dealer but rather the factory. The dealer just processes. Isn't their a Ferrari rep in your area? I would start there.

25. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Make sure that the repair is very well documented. The last thing you need is to want to sell the car a few years down the road and being told that the car is worth less because 100% of the paint is not original. A well documented explanation will appease most buyers and not affect the resale value. I'm sorry to hear about your problems but at least Ferrari is paying for it.