Third-party dealers to buy from or avoid | FerrariChat

Third-party dealers to buy from or avoid

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by suleyman, Feb 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. suleyman

suleyman Rookie

Apr 22, 2014
    PNW
    Ferrarichat brain trust:

first time post, long time lurker.

anyone with direct experience buying from 3rd party dealers for 330, 512BB/BBi, and 550/575? e.g. gullwing motor, LBI, or morris and welford, etc?

of course caveat emptor and PPIs are mandatory, but willing to pay for reputable service and higher quality cars.

thanks!

2. suleyman

suleyman Rookie

Apr 22, 2014
    PNW
    Disappointed that no one has a recommendation for their favorite dealers. Am I posting in the wrong subforum?

3. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    it doesn't matter which brand franchise a dealer has, they all cherry pick the inventory for them to keep for resale... best cars are easiest to resell with the least issues to come back and bite the franchise dealer, the cars with suspected issues are wholesaled.

Joe Forte likes this.
  4. suleyman

suleyman Rookie

Apr 22, 2014
    PNW
    thanks cheesey, appreciate the response! Just looking for private broker shops to trawl their sites for inventory. particularly interested in 330 gtc's, which naturally are hard to come by. any further leads much appreciated, or if any private brokers are well know in the f-car world. I am new to the Ferrari vintage market, so apologies for the newbie question.

5. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Private transactions are still the best. Many of the 3rd party dealers you noted will in fact take the best items and either offer them directly to their current clients or send them to an auction or BAT.

Some factory Ferrari dealers offer competitive pricing and can also depending on circumstance offer Ferrari Extend Warranty or CPO. Although I've not yet bought from a F dealer due to specific circumstance I think highly of Houston (The Woodlands) and Cauley in Michigan.

As a caution stay away from Ron Tonkin Ferrari in Portland..... Their sales manager (Steve Wintermantel) is a ner do well having shown a total lack of professionalism.

RyanFoH likes this.
  6. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    What are the specifics on the 330 you’re looking for?

I know of a lot of cars, private party non advertised, some could be available, especially come spring.

7. suleyman

suleyman Rookie

Apr 22, 2014
    PNW
    Great input msark, thanks!

1963: thanks for any leads--looking for a light green or light blue GTC that is the factory color (I know are hard to find). Must be a numbers matching, drivable, well sorted car--been down the road with major mechanical resto one too many times to go that route at this time. A restored example that is true to the originality of the GTC's factory interior is preferred, though I would be willing to undertake some aspects of an interior restoration.

8. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    I would highly recommend Steve Markowski at RPM in Vermont. Their shop primarily specializes in classic Ferrari service and restoration. However, sales, both of their inventory and consignment, comprise a decent portion of their business. What I like about RPM is that their focus is the service/restoration end. So, the whole experience is a little more 'full service' than just getting sold a specific car. Additionally, Steve usually knows of quite a few more cars that are available than just the few listed on his website. I dealt with Steve directly when purchasing my dry sump 308. His cars are accurately represented. He will go out of his way to direct you to the right car for you rather than just sell you something in his inventory.

rob, Texas Forever and suleyman like this.
  9. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    A light green 330 GTC is currently on display at Griots Garage in Tacoma, WA. Don't know if it's for sale, or the year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

suleyman likes this.
  10. suleyman

suleyman Rookie

Apr 22, 2014
    PNW
    Very good info and appreciate you pointing me in their direction. I had seen their advert cars online when looking at porsches in the past, and I didn't realize they were Ferrari experts as well! I will reach out to him as I nail down specifics on the short list of "older" Ferrari models I am paring down. Too many wants, not enough garage space (or time!).

11. suleyman

suleyman Rookie

Apr 22, 2014
    PNW
    Wow! stunning color combo. WIll have to inquire gently ;)

12. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I dealt with just about every aspect of rpmvt and highly recommend them. I bought a car that they were selling on consignment and had them do a full service on it and they stored it for me in the off season and had them sell it for me. Peter and Steve are stand up guys whom I would highly recommend.

13. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    My experience with Naples Motorsports was good.

14. kfmcmahon922

kfmcmahon922 Karting

Jan 2, 2011
    East Amherst, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin McMahon

can you message me regarding your Naples Motorsports experience...I am looking at a car there...thanks