Interior wood parts for Ferrari 365GT 2+2 Queen Mary | FerrariChat

Interior wood parts for Ferrari 365GT 2+2 Queen Mary

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Lemacc, Mar 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
  2. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Change the dash and center console back to black or a dark color and leave the wood. Than you will not have the wind screen reflection and the it will look more original The wood is a nice touch

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Pick up a copy of "Original Ferrari V12" on Amazon, and start from there... I've never seen one where the dash trim and center console wasn't black. The wood is also wrong, but I agree-- you could leave it unless you are going for concours points or something.

Were there choices of wood when the cars were new, or were they all the same? Mine has sort of a matte finish, which seems to be the most common, although I've also seen shiny finishes as well.

4. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    I think matte finish is correct, maybe they slightly faded during decades.

5. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I believe the wood is teak. I'm doing some repairs on my glove box (1968 gtc) it is veneer on both sides over some sort of laminated plywood. It is about 8mm thick and has a satin semi gloss finish.

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It does look like teak to me.

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Original is definitely teak as described in post #5. I'm guessing it will be difficult to find original wood panels, but it should be quite easy to reproduce them by getting proper thickness plywood and quality (thick) teak veneer and then use the existing panels as a template to cut everything. Veneer has a connotation of being cheap and not durable -- but quality thick veneer is very high quality and very durable -- and plywood is a better foundation than solid wood because it is far less likely to warp over time and temperature/humidity changes.

All of the above said, and as much as I am an originality freak and especially dislike incorrect dashes, I think on this car the walnut is not out of place at all. I dislike anything but teak on earlier cars because polished wood doesn't match the character of the early cars, but the 365 GT is more of a true luxury car and it is a more modern car chronologically, so the walnut looks quite good and (more importantly) appropriate. If you are going to classiche it, then I'd assume there is no choice but to replace it, but otherwise it looks good and from the photos the workmanship looks like it was "done right". Even in a concours, it would probably only be one point off. If the workmanship looks as good in person as it appears in photos, I personally would keep it. If the workmanship in person doesn't look so great, then I'd rip it out and put in teak.

Also (long shot here) -- are you 100% sure it was replaced by somebody and wan't some kind of custom order from new? It would be worth confirming to be 100% sure because if it was done by factory that uniqueness probably raise the value of the car as something of a one-off.

Bowzer likes this.
  8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I agree with checking on the originality. I'd also inquire about the interior color, and particularly the dashboard and console covering. I've never seen one like that (they've all been black), but you never know what some special customer might have wanted.

Can you reveal the serial number?

9. shoreorthopod

shoreorthopod Karting

Oct 14, 2012
    So I agree... check to see if this is a special or something but there are a lot of things wrong. Tom Yang most likely has the most info on a new dash and parts and also originality. So where the radio is suppose to be has four cut outs that look like switch housings. This I assume would be for the windows making this an early car (also by the steering wheel which should be a momo black anodized unit if later); but those should be on the center console. I have never seen a dash non black nor a glove box door that is wood. Seat belts also look wrong for the car, especially an early one which I have a feeling this one is. The dash vents are cool but don't look original and I have never seen dash vents on a queen not in black either. Again... lots of wrong but ok unless you want to red book it. I would change the glove box back to leather/vinyl and maybe center tray. I would also, if you keep the wood, redo the wheel with a darker stain. They get darker with use but I think it would be hard to get it that dark with the kind of use these cars get.
    Just my two cents in a world where pennies are mostly irrelevant.

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The vents look correct to me. Three vents on the lower center console for A/C and three vents on the dash for defog.

Check on originality, but probably someone in the early 80s decided they wanted it to look that way, and just did it.

11. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    You might confirm originality by getting a mirror and looking for the serial number or Pininfarina sequence number on the back. Many interior and body parts have the serial number marked in crayon to keep them with the proper car.

12. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Thank you all for the response!
    I´m very sure the walnut is a post production modification. Also notice the location of the switches on the middle part. Also the switches came from a Mercedes. So to use the waltnut panels as template is not 100% possible, cause we dont know the exact location of the original switches. BTW Does anyone know a source for the original switches?

We are very sure the interior is redone completely, notice the seat belt plug colored in beige.
    Ferrari would never do this from factory back in these days.

I´m at the moment not in the position to check the VIN, but i will do as soon as possible.

Does anyone know a company who already refrabricated teak wood panels for the Queen Mary?

My best,
    Leo

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Let's clear up one thing: it's "Queen Mother" not "Queen Mary."

As for the switches, I would try Tom Shaughnessy. He may also have the other interior pieces as well, or at least something which could serve as a starting point. Otherwise, you will probably need to find an existing car to use as a template.

davemqv likes this.
  14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't think the walnut looks bad but the dash covering needs to be set right! Regarding the teak panels , you could try talking with O'rourke Coachtrimmers in the UK. If they don't do it themselves I'll bet they know someone who does and they're not too far away, all things considered.

Lemacc likes this.
  15. shoreorthopod

shoreorthopod Karting

Oct 14, 2012
    you are right... they look correct except for color.

16. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Dash was teak and should have been wiped with linseed oil over the years @ the owners
    Manual . The appearance should be light and dull finish, rather then brightly varnished.
    I would check a high end yacht builder to build new panels if none are available from the above mentioned sources.

Lemacc likes this.
  17. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    In the sixties, there was not much alternative to linseed oil. This leaves quite an overpowering smell in the car for a long time. Now there is Danish oil which is finer and has less of an odour. Probably better to use it instead of Linseed oil